Poll: Macros and Multiboxing

238 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these options coincide with your opinions? (Multiple options allowed.)

• I am against macros and multiboxing.
    • I am against macros but not against multiboxing.
    • I am against multiboxing but not against macros.
    • I am not against macros or multiboxing.
    • Though I am not against macros, I believe they should be strictly limited.
    • Though I am not against multiboxing, I believe it should be strictly limited.
    • I have no idea what you're talking about.

... I said please tell me so.

It seems to be the term Macro is some sort of slur or insult. Yes, a Macro that automates the game totally is lame and cheating but it's not generally called a macro. It's called a script or bot.

Would you like a button that sold everything in your cargo bay? because that's called a Macro.

The macro you describe would only be a minor advantage and no more the a useful tool. I think what people really don't want to see is guys logging in, setting up mining macros/bots and then scooting off down the pub for 6 hours while we all sit here glued to the screen like morons for 6 hours to achieve the same goal! There are many uses of macro-ing, some more offensive to gaming principals than others. If a macro could be made to do trade runs (diificult because of gating - but there's clever peeps out there..) then were talking about getting a chr up to 150 or whatever without putting in the same effort as everyone else. That's also one reason i'm not against multiboxing - it is an effort, and if you're not paying attention it's very easy to get a chr dead!

... I said please tell me so.

I did - you asked a Yes or No question . . . and the answer was (and still is) "Yes".

Many of the players here are former EnB players from when the game was Live. At that time the word "macro", at least within the context of EnB gameplay, meant what you now appear to desire to only have described by the word "bot". Within the context of this thread the words "macro" and "bot" have been used interchangeably - scripting to allow unattended gameplay.

If you wish to insist on a semantic distinction that the usage of the word "macro" is inaccurate and only "bot" should be used to describe this activity you are certainly free to do so. I, however, refuse to blamed for any damage that may arise from repeatedly banging your head against a brick wall.

I did - you asked a Yes or No question . . . and the answer was (and still is) "Yes".

Many of the players here are former EnB players from when the game was Live. At that time the word "macro", at least within the context of EnB gameplay, meant what you now appear to desire to only have described by the word "bot". Within the context of this thread the words "macro" and "bot" have been used interchangeably - scripting to allow unattended gameplay.

If you wish to insist on a semantic distinction that the usage of the word "macro" is inaccurate and only "bot" should be used to describe this activity you are certainly free to do so. I, however, refuse to blamed for any damage that may arise from repeatedly banging your head against a brick wall.

I think his question is valid to a degree. If you macroed one button to sell all of your loot, is that bad?

Maybe the line is drawn that if what you are doing in game is driven by a third party application, it's probably "bad". This would cover any scripting or bots. Programmable interface devices where you can program a sequence of commands, not sure. If mouse 3 can be programmed to "e", wait 0.2, "f", is that an advantage or just lazy?

This game doesn't have a customizable UI, so basically anything other than in-game button presses is "bad".

And no it isn't hard at all to deal with gating for people to set up scripts for trade runs. I personally haven't done it, but they exist.

I think his question is valid to a degree. If you macroed one button to sell all of your loot, is that bad?

Maybe the line is drawn that if what you are doing in game is driven by a third party application, it's probably "bad". This would cover any scripting or bots. Programmable interface devices where you can program a sequence of commands, not sure. If mouse 3 can be programmed to "e", wait 0.2, "f", is that an advantage or just lazy?

This game doesn't have a customizable UI, so basically anything other than in-game button presses is "bad".

And no it isn't hard at all to deal with gating for people to set up scripts for trade runs. I personally haven't done it, but they exist.

"24) You will not contrive or use any macro or stand-alone application which will allow you to operate game play in an unattended manner. Botting is strictly prohibited and will incur an instant Level 1 player suspension when detected. Standard macro use such as in a Logitec: G-15 keyboard or the Nostromo Series Game Controller is an acceptable method of using a macroing system." https://enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/64-rules-to-abide-by/ seems to make it fairly clear.

I mean, the overwhelming majority of everyone through the ~4 pages of the thread didn't seem to have much of a comprehension issue over what Mneme was asking in the poll - so why now all of a sudden it's unclear is a bit of a mystery to me unless the poster hasn't read the thread prior to posting.

"24) You will not contrive or use any macro or stand-alone application which will allow you to operate game play in an unattended manner. Botting is strictly prohibited and will incur an instant Level 1 player suspension when detected. Standard macro use such as in a Logitec: G-15 keyboard or the Nostromo Series Game Controller is an acceptable method of using a macroing system." https://enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/64-rules-to-abide-by/ seems to make it fairly clear.

I mean, the overwhelming majority of everyone through the ~4 pages of the thread didn't seem to have much of a comprehension issue over what Mneme was asking in the poll - so why now all of a sudden it's unclear is a bit of a mystery to me unless the poster hasn't read the thread prior to posting.

I bow to your literacy skills (and reinforced my own laziness) :angry:

Multiboxing is good. it dosent ruin the game, MB dosent require 3rd party apps or anny macros, just 2 comps and good sence of multi tasking.

/agree

its no different than 2 friends logging on and grping for explore, trade or combat. arguments against multiboxing fall flat on its face imo. it was done in live the whole time and any effort to "alter" it WILL damage the game. i feel people are against it because it is not an option for them to do it so they must argue their illogical reasoning as to why its "wrong" by essentially telling everyone that since they cannot do it no one can...

saying it screws up the game economy or isolates people is downright silly. you are never completely independent in MMO. if u wanted to be the better option for that person is to play a single player game. people log onto MMOs to interact with people.

I do remember one of the anti-macroing things that the live devs had. The CL66 Draconis Hatchling that was often seen in Freya, near the Chavez spawn that's often camped for RD faction was an example of one. IIRC it was mentioned in patch notes that said mob has no drops of any kind. I don't think that it bothered you, if you didn't fire upon it first. (Might not be a good idea to use any area of effect skills on the Chavez there either)

That mob was implemented, iirc, to eliminate the PW faction gains with RD through macroing (botting) shield inversion (aoe at max lvl). Every few minutes, the lvl66 would float by, and if you were macroing, you were dead. If you weren't, you just shut off the SI skill and wait for him to pass.

That mob was implemented, iirc, to eliminate the PW faction gains with RD through macroing (botting) shield inversion (aoe at max lvl). Every few minutes, the lvl66 would float by, and if you were macroing, you were dead. If you weren't, you just shut off the SI skill and wait for him to pass.

JE also had to worry if they were using Max Shield Leech, which was an AOE skill. Would have liked to try max Shield Leech with max Environment shield against some low level mobs, but I didn't max either of those skill in live. E-Shield L5 and above does feedback damage to non-energy attacks.

what I would love to know is of the 250 accounts that are logged in at any given point in time... is how many actual people are that... my son and I discussed this and we feel that if 250 accounts are logged in, then with MB... that about 150 or less... we also feel (and this was just a debate we had so no accusations to anyone personally), that many people that are against MB do in fact MB, so that 150 number could be lower... we will never really truly know as there is no conclusive way to sort it out, the best you could do is maybe know how many different ip's are logged in at any given point in time...

/edit so just to be clearer, we agreed (with no proof, just our opinions) that at any give point in time 50-75 people are dual or triple multi boxing... just our opinions... but a different way at looking at this thread...

• Downvote 1

Well, I guess I need to make some things clear. First off, I am not completly against multi-boxing, nor am I against family's getting together to play Earth and Beyond. Infact, bonding with family members and friends is important in any society and I encourage it. The more people we have playing the game, the better. Also, I am not against the averege multi-boxer that wants to be more self sufficent, making his alts items, storing ores and items to sell or make items for other players. This is good and can be beneficiary to the community as a whole. And even though macros are frowned on by the majority of the community. I am not against the casual macro user thats just plain bored to hell with doing trade runs and wants to watch some TV while running a attended macro. I am not totally against these things because I myself use them, I multi-box, I have used attended macros. But none the less there are people out there that want to take advantage of what they can do, everywhere you look in the world you will always find people that take advantage of others and of situations. The same is true for Earth and Beyond. And this, and only this is what I am truly against. Hopefully these recent topics and post have achieved their goals, which was to bring awareness of the fact that fairness and balance needs to be brought to the game in not just one, but many ways. I believe that together as a community, as a team of players that we can make Earth and Beyond better than it was in live. Not only do I believe in the developers that have made the sunrise possible, I believe in the community which has just as much love for Earth and Beyond as the developers that continually work on the game to make it better, for us, for them, for everyone. I only hope that the enemys I have made here on these forums will eventualy except me as friend and understand that all I have been trying to do is make the community fair and balanced for everyone, as it should be.

• Upvote 2

Interestingly there are ingame items that, because of the buffs they carry, can only have been concieved as ways of getting faction while not being present at the PC! I'm talking about certain shields and reactors that are lvl 8 or 9 and have a buff that reflects a small amount of damage to mobs.

Given that these items are high lvl and that the damage they reflect is so small their only possible aim must surely be to make faction easy to obtain by parking in a group of low lvl mobs and going to sleep etc! When the game itself creates the opportunity to do this legitimatly you can't be suprised that people will seek another way to acheive the same result. Don't get me wrong, I'm dead against macro and have never used 'em, but I thought this point should be made.

OK, I don't know what it is, but without showing any actual content change the "last update" value of this thread changes multiple times throughout the day and therefore constantly shows up in my "view new content" list. I don't think it's my browser as it's the same on my work PC, my home PC, and even when I use my wife's Macbook. I'm just curious why that is? I have to think that's the driving reason why the "Views" value of this thread is so high.

OK, I don't know what it is, but without showing any actual content change the "last update" value of this thread changes multiple times throughout the day and therefore constantly shows up in my "view new content" list. I don't think it's my browser as it's the same on my work PC, my home PC, and even when I use my wife's Macbook. I'm just curious why that is? I have to think that's the driving reason why the "Views" value of this thread is so high.

I think it gets changed everytime someone posts a vote? Was wondering the same.

cuz this thread needs to be locked down and restarted if demand warrants it... without going through it, its prob been hijacked half a dozen times and has prob 2-3 dozen repeat post from people that wont read 92 replies before they post... oh and then there are people like me...

I bumped the thread once just because its fun to bump a hot thread...

I voted for option one; no and no.

I see no practical purpose for macroing in this MMO.

and I also believe in running one character at one time with only one account in all MMOs, even this one where there is no mail system and no shared vault. EnB is all about grouping and working together to achieve ingame goals.... even though I am not a member of a guild *yet*, I still support how EnB was designed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

and I also believe in running one character at one time with only one account in all MMOs, even this one where there is no mail system and no shared vault. EnB is all about grouping and working together to achieve ingame goals.... even though I am not a member of a guild *yet*, I still support how EnB was designed.

why is enb all about grouping and working together to achieve ingame goals? can you factually back up what you mean when you say you support how enb was designed and cite your sources that provided you with this design information?

• Downvote 1

I voted for option one; no and no.

I see no practical purpose for macroing in this MMO.

Actually macroing with a g15 keyboard makes certain things much easier, like healing groups. Easier to press 1 button instead of 2, may mean the difference between a dead group member and a live one, so yes macro'ing can be useful and not used to exploit anything.

Running multiple accounts was very common in live, there were people that had 6 accounts and ran their own full groups. If you were up at 5 am playing and server population was 20, then it was actually quite viable to have a second acct to trade to/get WH from/build ammo....

why is enb all about grouping and working together to achieve ingame goals? can you factually back up what you mean when you say you support how enb was designed and cite your sources that provided you with this design information?

The game was classified for as a MMORPG for a reason.

Yes I can back up my statement that EnB is a game built upon grouping...

Just look at the skills that each class (individually) has, compare the strengths and weaknesses, then look at the whole system from a big picture. Interdependency is built through out EnB in the classes. No one class is a Solo king, and all do much better in a group, the more diverse the better. No Player trade hall system, no mail system... this demands that Players work together just to get things done.

That's why I say EnB is a "grouping" game, and EnB is one of the few true MMORPGs in existence. Many online games claim the title but few actually have earned it.

Yes I can back up my statement that EnB is a game built upon grouping...

Just look at the skills that each class (individually) has, compare the strengths and weaknesses, then look at the whole system from a big picture. Interdependency is built through out EnB in the classes. No one class is a Solo king, and all do much better in a group, the more diverse the better. No Player trade hall system, no mail system... this demands that Players work together just to get things done.

That's why I say EnB is a "grouping" game, and EnB is one of the few true MMORPGs in existence. Many online games claim the title but few actually have earned it.

It is a "grouping" game as all MMORPG's are lol, I guess Avani wants to go back to single player mode.