Things the team is doing wrong

I am not going to contribute much to this thread at this time, but rather just open this up for observations from the community. Nor am I suggesting in any way that the devs don't know what they're doing or anything like that; please don't post fanboi "defend the devs" crap because everyone here, including me, is well aware of exactly how awesome they are to have come this far. This is only to give the devs some new perspectives to consider, if they find them useful.

What do you think the dev team is doing that will negatively impact the (re)development of the game?

I'm not asking for a list of features you think the devs should put in or a list of bugs that you think are disrupting your gameplay. I want you to try to look at the bigger picture--the stress test is irrelevant; all that matters is the efficient creation of the complete live game, whatever form that ends up being. What do you think the devs might do differently from an organizational perspective? Site/community, in-game activities, content creation schedules, feature priorities, etc.

Please keep back-and-forth discussion to a minimum; there is no need to defend or attack any thoughts or suggestions. Just share your own.

Peace.

Personally I would like to see a focus on bug fixes of what is currently in game before adding new content. When things stay broken then it just adds to the problem when new content is added. If something is broke, and new stuff is added then how can we make an educated assessment on whether it was an old bug, or what was just added that broke the code?

We all like to see new shiny things in game :( We also like to know that bug reports we send in are looked at, known, addressed and that we are not repeating ourselves over and over.

• Upvote 1

Can’t say I have anything to complain about. It’s a community effort to get this going, not a corporate HQ calling the shots based on what the sales department recommends to the investors. If you don’t like the way things are done or want to do it a different way, you start your own server.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Personally I would like to see a focus on bug fixes of what is currently in game before adding new content.

Understand that some things are code related and some aren't, so it is possible for multiple, parallel, efforts to take place.

I totally agree with Taallonn's comment.

"Personally I would like to see a focus on bug fixes of what is currently in game before adding new content"

Having said that, that are different issues for which there are different devs. Holding up mission development until the lag or the name bug is fixed might be at cross purposes to some.

Understand that some things are code related and some aren't, so it is possible for multiple, parallel, efforts to take place.

True. I think the devs are doing a fine job, I just threw in my 2 credits :mellow: wasn't meant to offend anyone...sure hope i didn't

i can see what you were trying to do here... but imo if anyone has sumtin to say to a dev they should just pm it... they work real hard for no $$$ to bring back a game we love... maybe if your question had more delicate wording... but again imo this is not really the place to answer a question that is phrased in the negative... :mellow:

my .02

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I see none of the above posters has a clue what I'm trying to accomplish with this thread. Taallonn at least tried. *shrug*

Come on, aren't there any other INTJs around here? LOL

well perhaps I am one of the clueless here... please start us off with something so we can contribute... (INTJs? ... told ya i was clueless :mellow: )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INTJ#Characteristics_of_INTJs or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastermind_(Role_Variant) :mellow:

No, I'm not gonna start it off, because I want to see if anyone else might come up with some particular observations that I myself have. Not negative observations--I used the negative voice on here because I calculated that if people respond to this with a presupposition of desired-negative, some people might put into other words some ideas I've had that I will not be able to express in their current format in a way that makes any sense to anyone but me.

I know that probably didn't make any sense to anyone else... LOL

I too am clueless as to what the bleep the OP is saying or trying to get someone else to say, or the reason behind it.

Call me a 'fanboi' all ya want, but I am grateful for what they have done, I sure as hell couldn't of done it and ya sure cant beat the price.

I understand what Mneme is tryin to accomplish here...

He doesnt want any personal attacks against the devs, we all know they are doing a good job.

I think what he is aiming for in Constructive Criticism

E.g

Do you feel the team could keep you more informed on issues

Do you feel the dev team are focusing on the wrong things?

Now i understand no one wants to give the devs a hard time, but some feedback is good, even if it is bad..

Mneme is not trying to incite a flame war or anything, just get some good contructive feedback for the team.

If you have issues with anonimity feel free to post a PM to me and i will post your feedback without naming names..

Thanks

• Upvote 1

yes slayer we get that... but those of us who have been on forums long enough become mistrusting even of the most constructive posts when they are worded differently and the OP refuses to comment... I really think this would have been a good thread and that op would have gotten what he wanted if he started us off with HIS thoughts instead of hiding behind

Mneme"No, I'm not gonna start it off, because I want to see if anyone else might come up with some particular observations that I myself have"

He is not doing exactly what he wants us to do... and as you can see... no one is really biting on that... I am sure if he gave his opinion others would follow...

*rolls eyes* Mistrusting? What, if you respond with a useful post the emulator project is going to come crashing down? I'm not hiding anything. I was trying to make this thread about other people's observations because I'm curious and wanting to compare my perspectives to others, rather than starting it out with ideas of my own thus making the thread about agreeing or disagreeing with those. Haven't you heard of the observer effect? It's a lot stronger with forum discussions than it is with radioactive cats.

Actually I think "no one is biting" because too many people seem to think the devs will get mad if they attempt some constructive criticism--which I don't think will happen--not because they're paranoid about an OP who starts a thread a certain way. :P

Well, I'll bite to start it off since it seems no one else will lol.

Communication could stand some improving. When it comes to some issues (like the past few days with characters going poof, etc) you could post and tell us what happened, but honestly if we could understand the problem to that degree we'd most likely offer to help with the code, so that isn't what Im reffering to. What I am reffering to is just letting us know whats going on behind the scenes. Maybe a post every 2/3/4 weeks saying "Ok guys, right now JimBob is working on coding job terminals, So-and-so is working on class skills, I'm trying to clean up the overall code to make the game more stable". It'd be nice to see the progress as it gets worked on rather than logging in one day and BAM! something new is there.

My next thing could fall under the above, but I'm going to seperate it anyways. Tell us what you'd like us to focus on testing for you. Throw out an in-game message upon log-in "We've reworked ores and hulks, so focus on prospecting lv6+ and tell us if anything is missing. Also mob resists are beginning, you combat types load your ammo and test it out!" I'd say 1/2 or maybe even 2/3 of the players would be willing to focus test stuff extensively for you guys.

The forums are pretty good, only thing I can think of is maybe add 1-2 Mods with some (above basic) problem knowledge? The SUGGUESTION forum addition was a great touch, be nice if we had a thread where we could DISCUSS (not bitch and moan why X isn't in-game yet lol) with you guys what we'd like to see in-game next/most. Be nice if a Dev can either work on Job Terminals, or adding a new combat area he can get a feel for what people would like to have more. Plus a thread like that would give a little more insight as to what is possible and what isn't, which would avoid posts asing for 10 new classes and things that aren't feasible (sp?).

That's all I can think of that I'd personally like to see. It more or less boils down to a little more interaction/communication with the Devs about the project.

*rolls eyes* Mistrusting? What, if you respond with a useful post the emulator project is going to come crashing down? I'm not hiding anything. I was trying to make this thread about other people's observations because I'm curious and wanting to compare my perspectives to others, rather than starting it out with ideas of my own thus making the thread about agreeing or disagreeing with those. Haven't you heard of the observer effect? It's a lot stronger with forum discussions than it is with radioactive cats.

Actually I think "no one is biting" because too many people seem to think the devs will get mad if they attempt some constructive criticism--which I don't think will happen--not because they're paranoid about an OP who starts a thread a certain way. B)

I do not think the Devs will "get mad", in fact on many occasions in the past they have asked for input knowing that they may not recall just how things were in the game. My issue is with your wording of what should be a simple question. Why are you so worried about how your thoughts would influence the run of the thread?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why are you so worried about my wording, sufficiently that you'll continue debating that rather than contribute anything?

I suppose I may as well wish for liquid diamonds to pour out of my butt, but is there any chance of those who are not interested in contributing to this thread possibly not disrupting the conversation for those who do?

1. Communication

2. Project Timeline (anticipated wipes, content adding, etc..)

One of the most frustrating things I've ran into, in any MMO i've played is the things that the designers do without worrying about how it effects the people that actually play the game. So giving us a heads up before you make a huge change, or do a character wipe so we know it's coming would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with the communication point. It seems so many people logged on asking if there was a character wipe or what was going on.

I thought the NET7 Launcher could display news, why wasn't news of changes and/or rollbacks announced this way so people could know what is happening before logging on?

Specifically I would like it if this was used to let us know when the Vrix are finally removed from Tarsis so I'll know when I'm able to play PW again.

I think people get worked up when things are announced and don't happen, which is the challenge with releasing dates or what's being worke don in too much detail.

Announcing p-wipes in advance would probably hurt server populations as some people would stop grinding/playing.

Identifying what specifically needs to be tested might be helpful, i.e. "we're moving everyone to this sector to see if it can handle 200 people + 400 mobs." I'm not sure exactly what we are testing right now outside of the levelling system and general bugs we encounter.

CAn we please get this thread back on track.

Please only post your thoughts on the devs/project and not what others are saying...

This thread was intented to get some feedback rather than to discuss others thoughts.

Thanks