terminal jobs.

Bovyne

SO i was starting jobs and a few things got me thinking.

Firstly that jobs seem to take ages to refresh, often there are too few jobs, one time it refreshed as i got there and 12 odd jobs become 6., and lastly that having 2 set of rewards for same type (combat,explore,trade) of jobs just uses up resources for jobs that player would prefer not to do.

Now I am unsure whether anything can be done about this, I rem in live that there was similar problem but that they had before it close greatly improved it some how (there was more jobs and i think it refreshed slightly faster.

One way to improve it would be if possible to change jobs of same type (combat,explore,trade) give the same amount of exp. Eg satellite deployment and trash runs, to exactly the same place should give same reward, at moment trash runs give less. This would mean that jobs seem more as you not just waiting for the maximum exp ones.

Then increasing the amount of jobs per refresh and making sure it does not decrease the amount of jobs would be good, being unsure how job are refreshed I can not be sure whether it would be possible to tinker with this? could you make them refresh in sequence? are they set to refresh all at the same time? can you increase the refresh rate? can you increase the jobs? If a job terminal isn't used so much can you bypass-it? Is it a question of system resources (lag)?

More advanced ideas would be to have near jobs and further away jobs, the further way ones should be slightly better exp per hour than the close ones, and probably head to places that have same level jobs so that you get there, finish jobs, then get more, though it could be collect from <place> and bring back

Any way just some thoughts, it be nice to know again what is possible?

There is a reason trash and sat runs give differing xp....trash gives less becuase you can enter combat with trash and not have it fail the job mission. However with sat runs if you fire on a mob they go boom and you are left with debris (sats are suppost to be more "delicate" and can't take the jostling from combat). So if you chose trash runs you could "multitask" and do some fighting on the way there..or take a combat job or 3 enroute etc.

At some point in the past they stated that job spawns were related to player numbers logged in. There is a algorythm that checks how many players on and by some techno-magic floats jobs. As in live and as is now they don't want there to be a kazillion jobs to choose from at the terminals. When more than one player is snatching jobs as in live there should be some competition for those jobs.

Yes they can tinker with job amounts, and refresher etc. But as stated before, they are trying to get near live conditions before they tinker to mich from norm. They are volunteers, with limited time to concentrate on what they deem more pressing, they post on each months posts what they did...and quite frankly jobs are I would imagine pretty low on the honeydo list when compaired to mob AI and player skill sets etc.

Well jobs are a major part of E&B, I sure most people at some point will have used them to level.

Ok you told me why waste was getting lower exp, but really who takes a explore job and then thinks oh I'll go do some fighting now? I suppose you could take combat jobs at the time time, but really I don't think many people do that. Most will take 6 of the one type of job, usually because you use a set selection of items for different jobs. Live was never perfect and jobs was always a talked about thing.

I don't think many people find it that much fun to compete for jobs either, I certainly don't it just wastes time sitting there doing nothing. Not fun for a game.

I remember from live some of the problem was system resources it use up causing lag, what i was saying is either increase the exp so all jobs are about the same exp for the same time invested, or remove lower exp jobs as this would mean less resources needed or wasted on jobs people would rather not do. Quite frankly I rather not do lower exp jobs that take the same amount of time, so whats the point of having them? Also people play for fun, I think a lot of people forget this. It is not fun to sit there waiting for jobs to cycle, or take lower exp jobs if those jobs take the same amount of time to complete. fair enough if a job takes half the time give half the exp, that's my point, jobs that take the same amount of time should give the same exp. Also people prefer to take jobs that go to roughly. the same place
Or you could just make trash runs not take so long, say 1 jump instead of 2, that would work too. (time taken about 70% of satellite ones I think it is roughly) I am not really against different jobs, just exp for jobs being more related to time taken to do jobs. You could do sort runs or long runs, one other thing would be that when it refreshes there is at least 6 of sort or long jobs, often there is not even enough after a refresh ie like 4 satellite and 2 trash or less. And if they go to different places often it is not worth taken as it would take longer than waiting for the refresh.

This said, I do not know what the devs can do, but I believe it is still worth saying this in case they can do something.

edit, some improvement i think where done yesterday, have to see how it works. Edited by Bovyne