• Terran Scout
    • Progen Warrior
    • Progen Sentinel
    • Progen Privateer
    • Jenquai Defender
    • Jenquai Explorer
    • Jenquai Seeker

[quote name='Tradermagoo' timestamp='1324939091' post='50363']
You do realize 90% of the tt's in this list are vaults right? How about eliminating all the tt's below say level 10 and recrunching the numbers. I can lead by example, all of the vaults on my guild vault account except the beam looted vault and the pl looted vault that is 15 toons and 13 of them are tt's. Think about it.
[/quote]
I would like to see either a sum of the level or time played for each class for all toons logged in the last three months...
Both of those should be a better indicator of popularity than just number of toons.

• 2 weeks later...
If activatable energy conservation buffs are doable, it might be a nice device line for the JT to make her a bit more useful. It fits the her role as a combat supporter, and is something not covered by the JE.

the JS was a good class to play until i think they nerfed the hull patch skill for it so now ppl don't even want to use it at least it was friendly when it had it, i met a lot of JS's with hull patch skill sense they removed that from the TT's. earlier in the stages.
omg 1371 Jenquai Explorer LMAO looks like the taxi business well be out of business for quite awhile. lol

Seekers don't have hull patch, Tradesmen & Scouts do. The problem right now is that the JT only has one unique thing she can do, Reactor Optimization. She can recharge shields, but since she can't hull patch one would go with the TT instead, or the PT if firepower is preferred over hull patch in a trader.

She can buff your reactor, but so can the JE and while their buffs don't conflict the JE brings more to the table. As a buffer/debuffer the JE is better than her. Both get L9 devices but the JE can debuff Scan Range, Plasma , & Explosive with PM items, while the JT gets PM debuffers to Scan Range, Plasma, & Energy . Energy debuffer is good for solo play, since JT can actually get much more use from energy beams than the JW or JE, but in a group with Terrans or Progen it's not as much use as an Explosive debuffer. All explorers also gets the "animal skin" device lines to buff deflects, the JT has no comparable thing to bring to the table.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Personally, I feel that if Drones are ever added to the game, they should double up on the Devices skill, just as Ammo does with Weapons. That will solve the issue of "who gets the Build Drones" skill. (Also, Drones could go in the Devices slot) The PT should probably get a unique skill.

I would like to see the Seeker get some sort of psionic shield that protects the hull, to both make up for lack of Hull Patch and to give a unique skill that is a conceptual fit. How that could be done without replacing or adding to the JT's full roster of skills is an old discussion. I'm sure something clever can be done. :)

I do find it amusing that the least played classes, by a clear enough margin, are the hidden classes and the poor old Sentinel from live. In its own way, the consistency is encouraging. ;)

I pretty much agree on that Dragoncove.  If we were going to give the JT a new skill, the way to do it is probably by changing the Reactor Opt skill to the JT's L135 skill, have and give it the same effect as if you'd maxed it under the old skill system.*  That would free up a skill slot for the JT, take care of what her L135 skill would be.  New device buffs that she could use, that were unique to her class, while the PT & Scout get similar love in the equipment department would help.  If the JT needs more beyond that, she could always trade build engines for another skill, though there would be no Jenquai engine building class.  Not sure what to do to make the PE more popular.  My PE, Toria, is almost a red-headed stepchild of a character.  I don't think I've played her since around last Christmas.

On drones, I could agree to that as an idea depending on the specifics.  Putting it as a subset of the build devices skill, would mean plenty of people could build them.  Everyone except the TW, PW, and PT could then build them.  I'd expect that like other equipment there would be race/class restrictions on them.  If some drone recipes are obtainable only through missions, building of specific drones, could be restricted to specific classes.  I think if they were to be implemented, we'd have to be careful in doing so and restrict what drones can do, as to not make any class lose it's usefulness.

Edit: * forgot to give Kenu credit for mentioning Reactor Opt as the L135 skill.  He's the first person, I'm aware of, to have that as an idea.

Well, one thing I like about Reactor Optimization is it's synergy with Recharge Shields. Recharge Shields is limited by the reactor power you have available. Reactor Optimization gives you more reactor power, thus, it gives you more Recharge Shields.

Actually, the Progen Privateer has the same synergy with Shield Inversion. Shield Inversion is limited by the shield power you have available. Recharge Shields gives you more shield power, thus it gives you more Shield Inversion. Or Shield Inversion more often, which amounts to the same thing.

L135 skills are kind of an interesting case, because the classes that have it have 18 skills. Or they did on live, if they don't here, something was removed. So in all honesty, ALL classes but the Sentinel and Explorer should get L135 skills, presumably each unique and useful in its own way. (I'm not sure you can say Call Forward is useful to a combat group, although it certainly makes the Sentinel a more valuable class overall)

If the JT wants to get its special power as its 135, that sounds good. It's going to have to be far more valuable than Reactor Optimization for me to want it to open up sooner, though.

Each class got 17 skills, if you also count equipment in the original game except the PE & JE.  They got a L135 skill as their 18th skill.   So yeah, I do think that all 9 classes should get a L135 skill that's unique, and like the PE & JE's skills require you to remain affiliated with your starting faction.  The PT; however, is currently short one skill, even when compared to the original 6 classes, not counting the L135 skills that the JE & PE got.

In the EnB Origins, if your faction with your class got too low, you got booted out of your faction.  This likely also meant major adjustments to your standing with various factions, since each affiliation has a set of faction modifiers unique to it.  The faction modifiers apply in the emulator, but as far as I know, you currently cannot be kicked out of your home faction, unlike EnB Origins.  In EnB Origins, if you were a PE or JE, after the addition of their Affiliation skills, there was a mission you could do called "atonement" to get your affiliation back.  If you lacked Sha'ha'dem or Sabine affiliation, you couldn't get the Compulsory Contemplation, and Call Forward skills, respectively.  I think that should apply to L135 skills for the other 7 classes, if they're implemented.

If Reactor Opt were to become the JT's L135 skill, it should be as good as it was maxed, and the skill the JT gets to replace the L7 version of Reactor Opt should be a L7 unique skill, and should be a skill that's better than reactor optimization.  If it's not going to be a legit group/raid skill, that's better than Reactor Optimization, there's no point in doing it.

I suspect Compulsory Contemplation was added to give JEs more of a role in combat, while the PE got Call Forward (first) more as a mechanism to implement skill respec than to give them another skill. That it was given to the PE because they were consistently the least played class was probably a major factor, but only in who got the skill, not it's creation in the first place. L135 skills should probably be chosen to help balance out popularity between the classes, and in that respect, probably the JT should get the next one. :D

I'll also note that as you said, since equipment counts towards the skill total, Progen as a whole get fewer skills than the other races because they get one more for their third weapon choice. While that may seem to leave them at a disadvantage, there are definite advantages to being the trader with the greatest outright combat ability. Jenquai also have high racial skill cost, due to Cloak, Fold Space, and Scan, and traders have to spend a lot of skill slots on their build skills. That doesn't leave them much room for differentiation.

Maybe the JT shouldn't have a secondary weapon AT ALL. We've been discussing replacing projectiles with missiles because really, the Jenquai are the only race that could have such a choice, but really, it occurs to me that the Jenquai are the only race that could choose NOT to have a secondary weapon, as well. Everyone else must start with beams. I'm sure most people, myself included, would not want to sacrifice the ability to use chemical ammo or gain additional range, but in exchange for a REALLY, REALLY powerful team oriented skill that makes the JT far more valuable to a group, would we really turn it down?

Besides, let's be honest, just how much benefit does the TT bring to the team with Befriend? :D The Trader is mainly on the team for Shield Charging, and because you would need a PT/JT and TE to bring both Shield Recharge and Hull Patch otherwise. That makes only one skill the TT has exclusive access to, with another two which make for good synergy.

If you have a PT, go and count the total skills, including equipment based ones.  In doing so, you'll count 16, for every other class, except the JE and PE, you'll count 17.  I may not have been clear in what I was trying to say, but what I was saying is that the PT has an unused space for a skill.  I'm saying that if you added a L7 exclusive skill to the PT, he'd have the same number of total skills as the TT, TW, TE, PW, JT, and JW without having to remove anything.

I do agree that the PT, due to his firepower, is the class in the best position to help a group, when only looking at the 3 new classes.  The PT's firepower is only surpassed by the JW, TW, and PW (assuming equipment of similar level & quality).  I do think that he should get a unique skill, but I would agree that the JT and Scout need help first, with the JT being in more need of help.

What the TT does, that puts him ahead of the other 2 traders, is that his healing package is nearly complete.  The only heal he's missing is the warriors only skill, Repair Equipment.  The PT and JT aren't the full package w/r/t healing, so they need to get things from their "other half", explorer in the case of the JT, that make them useful in ways other than as healers.  The PT does this with firepower, the JT has battery help, but the JE can do that too, and can do other things.

I always thought that the JE's compulsory contemplation skill was less than impressive.  The JE's ability to JS others, along with his ability to drain shields from enemies and transfer it to the reactors of his group mates, in addition devices the ability to transfer reactor energy to other group members, and the Chimaera and Coma devices, to weaken enemies to plasma, and their scan range, made the JE a good group member.  It seems to me, that in this version of EnB that the Coma isn't as powerful as it was in the original game, but it does have a good use while mining.  I find that if a mob wanders over towards me, while I'm mining, I can coma him & teleport him away.  Seems like he then tends to leave, rather than try and close to see (shoot) what blinded him & teleported him away.

I'm not sure where things got confused. Yeah, the PT has 16 skills. I believe the replacement skill should be something unique, NOT Build Devices.

It's the JT that has 17 skills, and thus has no more room for additional skills unless you add a L135, drop something, or adapt an existing skill to give it additional capabilities. The PT doesn't have problems finding a role on a team, though, the JT does. This thread should be about any of the least played classes, that includes TE and PE as well as JT and PT. (Although JT seems to clearly be the lowest from Shaddex's numbers)

I'll also note that the four least played classes are all the hybrids between Explorer and Trader and something else. The three Warrior classes are all sufficiently well represented, and the Terran Trader and Jenquai Explorer represent the "best" at their respective roles. So maybe the issue is not that the others do not bring enough to combat, maybe it's just that there's not enough interest in the other aspects of the game to allow for that much diversity.

That being said, I DO appreciate the devs unlocking the additional three classes, like Mouse said. I don't care if they're popular, I like 'em. :D

I don't see the Seeker has that many issues in a group... It is different than TT sure and yeah it's missing Hull Patch, but... The devices and buffs for reactors make some pretty easy power management for a group... A nice hybrid between JE's role and TT's role.. so if you have a tight group or already have a TT a JS is a good second healer toon, same goes for PP as a healer/DPS function.  My problem with TT is keeping her functional as a builder and using her as a support platform, just not enough points to go around.  TT is weak by itself in combat and takes forever to do what a TE does, JS however is quite easy to solo play and right in the middle between JE and JD for solo combat effectiveness. 

I think the problem with their popularity is people make builders OR support toons.  JS has the potential to do both but, but can't build Shields. 

If someone who plays JD or JE regularly builds a JS they will love it.. if you play Terrans or Progens you will hate JS, you have to play well as a JE in order to know how to make JS effective.. Most of the JE toons are taxi-transport/recon toons, not really used for combat and I'd wager that 90% of the people how have JEs don't have any idea how to play them well... so JS is an automatic "Bleah" from them. 

Daath, I pretty much agree as far as playing a JT as a solo character.  I have no problem fighting, solo, with mine.  I see her losing out, when it comes to what she can do in support.  Her reactor abilities are a start, but I'm of the opinion that she needs more to be a good support class (A JE can also play the battery bot role).  I suspect most of that could come through new equipment, especially things that are unique activated buffs for friends or debuffs for enemies.

Dragoncove.  I agree, the PT's missing skill should not be build devices.  I don't know what they should get as such a skill, but it should be unique, a legit combat support skill, and a L7 skill.  It should be something consistent with the role of "fighting trader"

I do think that the Scout & Seeker hurt in part for lack of equipment, as supporters.  I have a JT, she's one of my 2 L150 characters, the other is a JE.   If both the Scout & Seeker got a few nice new buffs or debuffs that were unique though their activated devices, they'd be better classes in support.  If the JT got a new 135 skill that was very useful, and kept Reactor Optimization the same as it was that would work as well.  I don't think that much has to be done in terms of skills to the JT, 1 more, whether it's L7 where Reactor Opt becomes the L135 skill, or a 135 skill where reactor opt stays as is, makes much of a difference.  What would matter, in either case, is "how useful is this skill for a support character?"

My only complaint with JS is lack of hull patch... If she had that she'd be ever bit as effective as TT, the same problem goes for PP.  Who ever heard of a military mechanic that can't do minor body work?

If a JT could patch hulls she might actually be more effective than the TT.  She'd have much more power than the TT to recharge shields & fix hulls.  The only problem for her would be agro from mobs as the result of her healing, since she's not as tough as the other two traders.  How big of a problem that is, would depend on the mobs' ability to see through her cloak, or interrupt it when it was powering up.  The PT, with hull patch, would be a beast compared to the TT.  The same healing ability, tougher, better reactors, & more firepower.

If a JT could patch hulls she might actually be more effective than the TT.  She'd have much more power than the TT to recharge shields & fix hulls.  The only problem for her would be agro from mobs as the result of her healing, since she's not as tough as the other two traders.  How big of a problem that is, would depend on the mobs' ability to see through her cloak, or interrupt it when it was powering up.  The PT, with hull patch, would be a beast compared to the TT.  The same healing ability, tougher, better reactors, & more firepower.

When you think about the classes and how they are structured, that would almost seem to be the way it is SUPPOSED to be... TT the builder... PP the Combat Healer.... JS the Stealth Healer.. and each effective in their own right, but someone probably cried at the idea of making another healing class as effective as a TT..

When you think about the classes and how they are structured, that would almost seem to be the way it is SUPPOSED to be... TT the builder... PP the Combat Healer.... JS the Stealth Healer.. and each effective in their own right, but someone probably cried at the idea of making another healing class as effective as a TT..

Almost, only problem is that the TT should be the best healer & the best builder of the 3 traders, since the PT & JT are hybrids, while the TT isn't.   The problem, so far, is how do you make the JT's "other half" more useful, to make up for her lack of hull patch.   I think it can be done, but it's going to be partially a matter of new equipment, new activated buffs/debuffs, and what the JT's L135 skill is.  Same for the PT, and the Scout.  One of the things I thought of for the JT would be the ability to remove debuffs from players, I think that would help, as a line of devices. 

So give the JSeeker a slow hull heal over time available at 135.

Total up the amount of the 9 ships hull points then divide by the 9 classes. Have the ability heal 1/4 to 1/2 of that amount over it's duration.  

The idea is that it winds up being a slower heal than if you had TT or TS to just spam area hull repair.

It would give the JS a singular support ability that could be useful solo or in a raid.

So give the JSeeker a slow hull heal over time available at 135.

Total up the amount of the 9 ships hull points then divide by the 9 classes. Have the ability heal 1/4 to 1/2 of that amount over it's duration.  

The idea is that it winds up being a slower heal than if you had TT or TS to just spam area hull repair.

It would give the JS a singular support ability that could be useful solo or in a raid.

I actually like this idea.. slow regeneration of the hull rather than a "recharge" like hull repair does with TT/TS.  I wonder if it is possible given the internal code involved, because I'd like to see something like this for JS..

Total Hull points /4 spread over the duration of the buff, similar length of time as say... Shield Charging or Reactor buff that JS already has.. so not a HUGE buff and not going to save someone getting pounded, but will correct for small damage that got past the shield but wasn't enough to take the ship out..

Edited by Daath

Back to the original Poll.. I was looking at it and thinking... Is this actually how it sits?  We all know the stats on the number of toons created of which race/class is highly inaccurate when you consider what people actually PLAY...

First we have to look at this term.. "Played"

Does this mean the toon gets logged in and flown around or actually being used to to it's fullest potential?  To my way of thinking "Played" means the latter.. Using the toon to play as a solo entity, not in support of trade runs/jobs or combat healing for your PW while you pound it with endless ammunition that it hauls for you.. These secondary "Dual Boxed" toons are not being "Played" they are being used like a utility knife, to solve a logistics problem for the toon that is actually being played..

I Play my JE.. A lot.. bounce from sector to sector looking for this mob so I can kill it for it's loot for my builder side-project, or looking for more of that elusive Grail Water and maybe a hulk or two.. I do this for HOURS.. So I can say that I do "Play" my JE..

I play my JD, if I find something with my JE and she gets her butt kicked trying to play with it.. out comes the JD.. Fly it out to wherever and see if I can get some payback... a nice RTB and she's back home... Or I take her out and track down Feathers, farm parts for this or that build project.  Grab a newbie JE from off the loading docks of Joves and drag them to some god forsaken corner of the galaxy and let them loot and leech some combat XP while doing it... That is PLAYING the JD..

My JS is more often paired up with my JD.. but not in the way most people think.. In the pairing my JS is always "Leading" and the JD simply becomes extra firepower... JS is for farming comps or camping an item.. she and JD can sit for hours like a shark in the depths and then when their prey arrives it's dead in seconds.. Think about it, 9 beams cloaks and all those buffs, not much stands up to those two.. So in a way I Play my JS...

I play my PS  (the big one) .... I fly her out to Lagarto and some of you may have seen me leisurely loping around the large field there in the gravity well.. Gathering bits from hulks and the odd L9 ore.. Mostly looking for Tiles or suits to feed my faction issues on my toons.. Normally my TS is in tow, mainly as a easy path through the grav well and a storage spot so I can stay out longer than my tiny PS hull will allow....

My TT.. sit in OMP parked and pops in to build this or that, maybe once in a while I'll get called out to support someone with a Jinx mission or maybe even a raid here and there... but I don't "Play" my TT.. I USE it..

The TS is a Courier.. as a miner she falls short of JE's ability to decimate large fields of ore in a short time.. But she's got a big hull and she's fast.. Great for parking near a spot I am working and holding loot or ore.. I USE my TS..

The other Progens are still in development, but my JD has spoiled me.. I've been wracking my brain to find a "Use" for the PP and the PW when they are done and equipped properly... Time will tell...

My poor TE... my aversion to Kiting and Ammo has put this toon DEAD last on my list to develop.. For my play style she just won't get picked often to come out and do her thing..

The point being two fold..

1. What toons do you PLAY and what toons do you USE?

2. Don't let the server stay down for 7 hours and not expect me to ponder such things...

I would say that I play my JE & JT more than any other class.  I like to mine, plenty, so I like looking for fields, mining, and look forward to mining based content.  I do like playing my JT as well, though I mostly play her solo, as I'm more sure of my role in a group with my JE.  I can play those characters effectively, albeit patiently, in solo combat as well.  Of course there are limits, but generally speaking, if it's not part of a raid, and can't see cloaked, I can probably solo it. (It would to be able to knock my shields down faster than I can cloak, or have buddies to help it do so)  I have one awesome beam on each, the made to live, the other slots carry the Pitbull Sr.  The JE gets some activated turbo from an AA he found, the JT has none.  Each has their respective class shield, Cygnus 9, and otherwise mediocre equipment.  JT has 3 of her build skills maxed, and will build in addition to play.  I intend to raise my build skills on my JE as well, for the MCP, and any missions that would use that ability, but most building will be done by my trader characters.

I have 2 other JEs one who will get played although to a lesser degree than my main JE, the other can be storage space.

My Scout, for now, gets used as a device builder more than she gets played, but since she can mine, she'll have her day in the sun.  My PE is little, but in time she'll get played too for the same reasons. (and I do somewhat like the PE)   My JWs will get their time in the sun since I do like Jenquai play style for combat.

My TT will be used for the builds she has, as I'm not really feeling it to play her in the conventional sense.  If she ever sees 150, she'll be in shape to play, but likely be rarely brought out.   My PT will probably be used more than she's played, since she will be able to build Progen reactors when I get around to raising her build quality, and getting her a good recipe list.  I do see her as having some potential for play in a single group hunting scenario.  So far I'm just not that into my PW or TW.  If I raise one, they can be used for farming things, where I don't want to mess up faction on characters I like better.