• Terran Tradesman
    • Terran Scout
    • Progen Warrior
    • Progen Sentinel
    • Progen Privateer
    • Jenquai Defender
    • Jenquai Explorer
    • Jenquai Seeker

We were talking about this last night in new player chat, trying to figure out what is the least played alot of people said "Jenquai Explorer", and a few others were saying "Progen Sentinel". So I decided to make a thread here for people to discuss the matter in more detail.

I think you need to define it a bit, I voted JS. In your OP is it the least game time played class...or the most under created class...or the least under utilized (like in raids) class?

IMO I think its a close one between the PS or JS on the "played" class, the PS as the least "created" class, and the TS and JS as the least "utilized" class.

The numbers may not play out my assumtions, but on the "played", I base that on how often I personally "play" or run into others playing the JS and PS when I am on. I've noticed most times that once a PS is gotten to the CF skill point, that they are shortly warehoused, and only called into action for CFs, builds or to flesh out a raid when a JE is present and they want a alt. JSer.

As to "created" many toons are created and test driven and then shelved to try out another toon, then depending on play styles or personal opinions that other toon becomes that players fav. I'm curious if there is some way to rather that count total toon types created per server, to count total lvls accumilated per toon type per server, if so that would be a rather better objective indicator of "played" toons than "created". My reasoning on the created PS is that when making a toon folks balance they want a miner, check skill sets and try the JE rather than the PS, if the are looking for a fighter they look at PS, then the PW (or other warrior type) and toss the PS for that reason, etc.

Utilized, the JS doesn't really have anything to recommend them over other toons in a raid, they heal..so does TT and PP who have other skills like hull patch and devicage like basilisk and combat at range that the JS just don't have. They have reactor optimization and buffs, but them a JE can play the battery role and can scan,JS and group cloak etc. that you can't pass up for a JS instead. On the TS, they have hull patch true..but the TT has that and heals to boot, TS has device buffs, but them other explorers do, the only niche they can fill that would have them picked over others is the null field, but really..how many raids have grav shears/wells?
  • Upvote 1

I think you have some good points Matt. The lack of a sufficent number of unique and useful things brought to the table really hamper the JT and Scout. Those 2 classes won't be fixed until they bring at least 2 or 3 big things that are needed in a group or raid setting to succeed, and cannot be brought by another class.

[quote name='Mattsacre' timestamp='1320776608' post='48222']
I think you need to define it a bit, I voted JS. In your OP is it the least game time played class...or the most under created class...or the least under utilized (like in raids) class?

IMO I think its a close one between the PS or JS on the "played" class, the PS as the least "created" class, and the TS and JS as the least "utilized" class.

The numbers may not play out my assumtions, but on the "played", I base that on how often I personally "play" or run into others playing the JS and PS when I am on. I've noticed most times that once a PS is gotten to the CF skill point, that they are shortly warehoused, and only called into action for CFs, builds or to flesh out a raid when a JE is present and they want a alt. JSer.

As to "created" many toons are created and test driven and then shelved to try out another toon, then depending on play styles or personal opinions that other toon becomes that players fav. I'm curious if there is some way to rather that count total toon types created per server, to count total lvls accumilated per toon type per server, if so that would be a rather better objective indicator of "played" toons than "created". My reasoning on the created PS is that when making a toon folks balance they want a miner, check skill sets and try the JE rather than the PS, if the are looking for a fighter they look at PS, then the PW (or other warrior type) and toss the PS for that reason, etc.

Utilized, the JS doesn't really have anything to recommend them over other toons in a raid, they heal..so does TT and PP who have other skills like hull patch and devicage like basilisk and combat at range that the JS just don't have. They have reactor optimization and buffs, but them a JE can play the battery role and can scan,JS and group cloak etc. that you can't pass up for a JS instead. On the TS, they have hull patch true..but the TT has that and heals to boot, TS has device buffs, but them other explorers do, the only niche they can fill that would have them picked over others is the null field, but really..how many raids have grav shears/wells?
[/quote]

For the love of all that is Holy do you ever answer a post in a few lines? Don't get in a twist I am just having a bit of fun at your expense. Besides the reply would be so long I would not read it either cause I am way to lazy!! Edited by Hickory
  • Upvote 2

I have a PS and a JE...I play the PS more but his combat is hard since he is rather new OL 32 (10/13/9) CT (Critical Target) should make things better but not until 45 guessing anyway things go most classes are not much fun until after 50, the JE is just level 13 (4/5/4) only plan to use him as a taxi really nothing else. I have played a JS too they're pretty simple to level in there starter area, the manes there provide a decent source of income, you can get about 200k or more with patience, before they took out Psionic Shield for the JS replacing it with Reactor Optimization with Psionic Shield combat was manageable all you had to do was pop it, then apply Shield Recharge...of the tradesman classes I prefer TT since he can HP + SR, would be nicer if Reactor Optimization recharged reactors at the expense of the users reactor as well as everything else it does.

Every class should have certain skills others do not have, some have two and possibly more...I know that at one point in time all classes 130+ were supposed to get another unique skill but only two got them.

TE = Bio-repression & Rally
TT = Befriend (Unattainable - Mission Bugged) & Shield Charging
TS = Afterburn & Nullfactor Field
PW = Self Destruct, Combat Trance & Shield Sap
PS = Powerdown,Repulsor Field, & Call Forward
PP = [color="#8b0000"]None that I know of which really needs to be addressed[/color]
JD = Summoning, Energy Leech, & Psionic Shield
JE = Wormhole, Shield Leech, Environment Shield & Compulsory Contemplation
JS = Reactor Optimization Edited by Drifter

I do not really play terans, so i can not comment on them.

For progen, the PP might not have a individual skill but it is very fun to play with recharge shield then shield spike, i see it as a dps back up heal myself.
the PS is ok, but i don't like the fact it has fear which makes the mob run away and a shield that damages on being hit by mob, it does not feel right, a shield sap/spike like skill for the PS would fit better, specially as the PS should not be taking damage in a raid? other than that PD seems to work better now, and critical targeting does help.

The JE I find actually quite fun, shield leech is great and allow the JE at least to fight organic mobs well.
The JD is pretty good,, energy leech doesn't work it seems at moment and i think it might be nice if it did some damage too.
The JS is just boring, strangely it would actually make I think with a few threat skills a great tank, it can take a lot of damage while it self heals, whether that's what you want? It does though also need a better dps, preferable from a skill, which if it did threat might actually mean it could be a tank or off tank?? need something to make it less boring. Having a shield that relfect damage might also work, of 100 damage 20 might reflect back to mob and only 80 hit you (or 50/50 what ever works), semi psi/environmental shield.

With this said, I think you would find PP being the most played out of this classes cos it is fun, then JE/JD then PS then JS just on the fun factor of playing these classes. Edited by Bovyne

The JT can use manticore as the only jenqia that can use a PM energy debuff. I do like thier reactor buff skill graphics. lol But i do use JT.s as a great mule cause they are fast to get to joves. 8}

The pp skills = menace and shield regen. They are also the only trade class with 5 weapons and crit skill so they can do a decent amount of damage. Only drawback is no gravlink which seems out of place for a progen.

my JE is the most played time out of all my toons... something about hulk hunting OCD.s me... plus wormhole travel is to convenient.

PW is a great warrior class for farming high end mobs, but they do need to be retooned, something doesn't seem right with them currently.

TW is nice but theres just something boring to me about them. 8}

PS to me would be the most painful to level, but i'm sure thats just me. PW with the lowest cargo space is the most painful to level imo....but combat ability makes up for it.

TT isn't bad soon as you get your third weapon mount.

TS only has the speed bonuses, no other real incentive to me about them.

JD can be fun.. i love thier bubbles.

least played i put JT---PS is close second for sure.

I like my JT somewhat, but I think that's more the Jenquai in me than the class itself. I find that playing my JW or JE are more fun than my JT, though I find I can fight with her effectively without having to spam the Recharge Shields Skill using stealth and teleport tactics.

I agree that she's missing something, but I think she can get by with a marginal increase in DPS through equipment choices when she starts to see JT only equipment but I don't think it should be much. Maybe a few things with buffs like Beam Focus, Beam handling, etc possibly a line of items with said types of buffs. What she really needs is things that she can do to help others, since she should be pretty close to a pure support class being a Trader/Explorer hybrid.

What she really needs are a good selection of activatables that provide offensive buffs to groups, that stack with existing buffs, as well as some good defensive buffs to work with that don't interfere with the existing buffs that explorers bring. This may also mean that we will need tougher mobs as far as content intended for groups and raids is concerned. She'll likely also need a great 135 combat support skill, and possibly swap build engines for another unique skill. She could help the warriors avoid damage sometimes, and help they deal damage, through equipment buffs. Say an activatable line of devices comparable to the titan's heart and some activatable devices, or a 135 skill that wards, however temporarily, against damage or helps groups in some other direct & needed way.

In the emulator personally the least played character has so far been the PW. I have only recently started playing a PW getting to nearly OL50 -- I have all the others to OL150 already except a seeker with is OL142.

Eighteen months ago with all the chaos surrounding Progen hull upgrades I gave up anything to do with Progens after the painful journey of getting a PP to OL150. I think there is still a deterrent to playing Progens even today as there is possible frustration if you don't do Agrippa at the right overall level range.

[b]Barring content to characters because they are too high level is perhaps not right.[/b]

My least played warrior: PW (but that will change).
My least played explorer: PS.
My least played trader: JS.

PS needs the ability to warp in gravity fields so it can be a proper explorer. JS needs I don't know what to make it any good. Reactor optimization is a gimmick skill and that whirling swirl puts me off using it. I think eventually when my JS reaches OL150 it'll get parked and taken out for reactor building and it'll become my least played character. Sad but that's how it'll be.

Another thing that the JT will need, is content specific to her class beyond her training missions. The Scout, Explorer, and Tradesman also would benefit from such since they're usually better at support than direct combat. It also gives the non-combat classes more things to do.

After crunching the numbers :

358 Jenquai Trader
521 Terran Explorer
580 Progen Explorer
582 Progen Trader
837 Jenquai Warrior
990 Progen Warrior
1027 Terran Warrior
1371 Jenquai Explorer
1941 Terran Trader

They are Avatar logons (Not creations) since 1st September 2011.

Is there a way to retrieve total lvls achieved per class type? Like TT per server has a total 20k lvls, JE 18k lvls etc?

The avatar logons isn't a good measure (but thanks for the stats!) since a good amount of TT are just vaults (more cargo room) and would be logged on by people to drop in or extract from. them a large amount of JE are just taxies and would be logged on repeatedly to ferry folks around. A large amount of TE are just a rally buffer etc. etc.

A per type, total levels achieved, per server, would be a slightly better measure of actual "play" per class. They actually had to work to lvl X and the cumulitive lvls might measure better than logon ticks of vaults or taxis.

But thanks as always for enlightening stats.

[quote name='Mattsacre' timestamp='1321628343' post='48643']
Is there a way to retrieve total lvls achieved per class type? Like TT per server has a total 20k lvls, JE 18k lvls etc?

The avatar logons isn't a good measure (but thanks for the stats!) since a good amount of TT are just vaults (more cargo room) and would be logged on by people to drop in or extract from. them a large amount of JE are just taxies and would be logged on repeatedly to ferry folks around. A large amount of TE are just a rally buffer etc. etc.

A per type, total levels achieved, per server, would be a slightly better measure of actual "play" per class. They actually had to work to lvl X and the cumulitive lvls might measure better than logon ticks of vaults or taxis.

But thanks as always for enlightening stats.
[/quote]

There will be loads of Player stats coming soon !
Watch this space..

The real question is how do the devs address those classes that are unpopular?

There's usually a reason why any particular class doesn't get played much beyond training, or is used for only one thing, they don't bring enough to the table for most players. The JT has no real reason to be picked in combat over a TT or PT, JE, or PE the Scout has no real reason to be picked over the JE, PE, or TT.

The JT's ability to debuff energy really isn't that helpful in a raid as the PWs and TWs in the raid are unlikely to be using that type of damage. It's good that she has that ability for solo play, as well as for groups with other Jenquai, but the other 2 races don't really use energy damage. Her ability to debuff Plasma and blind mobs is equal to the other Jenquai (which it should be). While her Reactor Opt buffs are good, and stack with the buffs that the JE and other Jenquai can bring, by itself it doesn't close the gap between her and the other 2 traders.

By comparison the TT can heal both shields & hulls, so why take a JT over a TT as a healer? The PT has more direct DPS than the JT (which he should have over her) so there's a reason to pick the PT as DPS is always needed. JT needs something to make her as needed as the other 2 traders. The JT will have to have some new things she can do, or she'll continue to be uninvited to raids. As a Shield Recharger both the JT and the PT will always be alternates to the TT, the PT has a viable thing to do when not recharging shields, the JT doesn't as of yet.

The Scout has the same problem, they lack the PE's DPS, physical toughness, and menace, while lacking JE's cloak, stealth, great reactors, share scan, and readily available plasma debuffers. Hull Patch, Afterburn, and Null-Factor don't make up for this disparity. HP doesn't because a TT will be brought to any serious fight for the purposes of patching hulls & recharging shields. It would seem that Afterburn requires you to be in formation to benefit your group, while explorers should tend to freelance more in a raid (debuffing, buffing others, JSing people). Null-Factor doesn't really help if there aren't enviornmental effects in any particular raid and if you have to be in formation to use it on your group, but it's great for solo-exploration in dangerous areas.

I do think the JS needs a combat skill. Only being able to recharge shields during combat makes soloing pretty boring. There are some advantages to having a JS in your group in raids though mainly the reactor difference. Reactor optimization is pretty good for energy deprived classes as i'm sure we all know. Not sure which level reactor the PP gets but I know the JS has a better reactor than the TT, allowing for more shield recharges. Not saying the JS shouldn't be improved but it has a few things going for it.
  • Upvote 2

All Jen get a level 9 reactor while the Terran and Progen Traders only get a level 8 reactor. However when the phoenix devices start working they turn a JE into a battery for a full group (as they were in live). The current design of the JS can't compete with that, nor should it, so I think the JS definitely needs some JS only skill that makes their damage output better than a JE (even though a JE has 1 less beam they do have shield leach) and more worthwhile for grouping.

I would love to see a level 7 skill that was a buff, similar to the TT's Shield Charging buff, that when a player with that buff has their shield recharged a % of the amount recharged is redirected at the mob(s) attacking the player(s). If the devs wanted to really get nifty with it they could make the damage done by this skill be based off a JS only device that they equip. Such a skill would cover both the solo and group damage output problem and tie it in with shield skill like the TT. ;)

Progen Trader gets L9 reactors, same as PW. The JT does get better reactors than the PT, but only insofar as the JT has Reactor Optimiztion, and the differences between L9 Jenquai reactors & L9 Progen reactors. JT also has one fewer weapon, to drain said reactor. JT's are VERY good with energy, the only thing that's questionable is which class is more energy efficent JT or JE?

That's a pretty good idea in your 2nd paragraph Crichton. Would be a nice line of devices, L3-L9.

[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1321662862' post='48662']
I would love to see a level 7 skill that was a buff, similar to the TT's Shield Charging buff, that when a player with that buff has their shield recharged a % of the amount recharged is redirected at the mob(s) attacking the player(s). If the devs wanted to really get nifty with it they could make the damage done by this skill be based off a JS only device that they equip. Such a skill would cover both the solo and group damage output problem and tie it in with shield skill like the TT. ;)
[/quote]
Though I don't play my JS much, this sounds like a good idea. Another way would be to have a device or skill that distributes any overrecharging of shields to damage to enemies around the player having his shields recharged. This would have to be capped based on some % of shield capacity or something similar, not to make it overpowered.

Some have from time to time suggested MLs as a JT's alternate weapon. I could only see this happening if GETCo gets involved, even then it's not a weapon that JTs can get to L9. Would have to be something where GETCo, Hyperia, and Sharim get together for the betterment of both classes. Sharim could make some devices, Reactors, and low profile engines for the Scout, GETCO & Hyperia could make some weapons, & shields for the JT, and maybe some warp/speed buffing devices for the Sharim.

Storyline wise it could possibly work, as GETCo has some influence in both Hyperia & Sharim, and GETCo is looking for ways to better compete with InfinitiCorp. One of the things listed in the Hyperia faction description is that they're looking to colonize a new system (Proxima) as a hedge against IC. GETCo also has representatives on stations owned by both factions. Would be a way for GETCo to assert itself among the new classes.

Here's what I have noticed about traders:

[u][b]Terran[/b][/u]
[i]Build Skills[/i]
Components
Devices
Engines
Shields
Weapons

[i]Combat Skills[/i]
Befriend
Hull Patch
Recharge Shields
Shield Charging

[i]Passive Skills[/i]
Negotiate
Navigate

[u][b]Jenqai[/b][/u]
[i]Build Skills[/i]
Components
Devices
Engines
Reactors
Weapons

[i]Combat Skills[/i]
Recharge Shields
Reactor Optimization
Cloak
Fold Space

[i]Passive Skills[/i]
Negotiate
Scan

[u][b]Progen[/b][/u]
[i]Build Skills[/i]
Components
Reactors
Shields
Weapons
Needs Devices

[i]Combat Skills[/i]
Menace
Shield Inversion
Recharge Shields
*Dismantle

[i]Passive Skills[/i]
Negotiate
Critical Strike

* = Not In Game

Right now every class has 17 skills, when you include weapons & equipment. PT has 16 total, but no unique skills, while every other class has at least 1 unique skill. IMO this means that the PT will likely get something special instead of Build Devices.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Shaddex' timestamp='1321625802' post='48639']
After crunching the numbers :

358 Jenquai Trader
521 Terran Explorer
580 Progen Explorer
582 Progen Trader
837 Jenquai Warrior
990 Progen Warrior
1027 Terran Warrior
1371 Jenquai Explorer
1941 Terran Trader

They are Avatar logons (Not creations) since 1st September 2011.
[/quote]

You do realize 90% of the tt's in this list are vaults right? How about eliminating all the tt's below say level 10 and recrunching the numbers. I can lead by example, all of the vaults on my guild vault account except the beam looted vault and the pl looted vault that is 15 toons and 13 of them are tt's. Think about it.

[quote name='Tradermagoo' timestamp='1324939091' post='50363']
You do realize 90% of the tt's in this list are vaults right? How about eliminating all the tt's below say level 10 and recrunching the numbers. I can lead by example, all of the vaults on my guild vault account except the beam looted vault and the pl looted vault that is 15 toons and 13 of them are tt's. Think about it.
[/quote]

Yup my TT is level 2 ...got that by taking him to F7.

I don't use my TT for much either. She can build shields, and has some of the Scale shields mapped, but I don't really find her that fun to play. She'd be useful if I'd level her CL and EL up, but I'm just not feeling it. She's got TL45, but that's due to the old turn in of Manes Essence at OMP. My JW farmed the manes in Endriago, gave her a cargo hold full, and my JE gave her a ride to OMP for the turn in. Now all she does is sit at N7 and if I get a shield she prints it.