shields

Described in the original design docs we got from the live folks. It is supposed to be the way it appears now (and that's how I remember it as well, anyway).

You might have had something causing the shield recharge rate to overpower it, that I dunno; however, its supposed to stop recharging when stressed (hit) for a couple of seconds.

please review this link [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiJMw0Op8pc&feature=related"]My link[/url] this was a vid from live and if you search youtube there are othere if you watch the shield it seems to be recharging still why they are in battle. i with there mouse was ver the shield but it is not. I am almost 100% sure shields always recharged. I remember leaving my lvl 150 TE in live at a nav overnight by misteak do to an emergency. there was a lvl 1 mob attaching it for the night and my TE nver die. If shield never recharged he would have kills over but my shields charged faser then the DPS a lvl 1 could do.

not saying i'm right but thats how i remember and the live Vids seem to show it too.

well that's the thing, the mob has to exceed a damage threshold to stop the recharge. It's not a flat hit and stop. Lower level mobs and you'd probably see this effect, whether we actually managed to duplicate exactly that I doubt it at this stage, one of those things that I'm sure made the "tweak it later" list. :)

Live, your and mobs shields continued to recharge during combat, if the mobs shots didnt exceed the shields recharge rate you never got notched to shield, even though text showed dmg taken. Ten-gu and other mobs had a fast shield recharge rate, so you actually had to do more dmg. than their pool to kill them..but then the same held true for them vs you. I can CONFIRM this was true live, my PS heavily depended on REFUGE/REFRESH devices in solo combat, if recharge didn't continue during combat live, then the buff those devices provided would be non-functional, many times those devices and shieldgen devices got me out by the skin of my teeth vs. mobs.

If you aren't versed with refuge/refresh devices, they boost recharge rate huge amount (like 500% or so) for 10 sec. If in live your shield stopped recharging during battle, how then would such devices regain 1/4 -1/3 shield back while fighting? It buffed the recharge...no recharge..nothing to boost.

And then there is the other reasoning...mobs had buffs and debuffs, one of the debuffs was to disrupt shield recharge or reduce it, what use would that debuff be if your shield wasn't rechargeing during combat? If you had zero recharge rate during combat..and they debuffed your shield recharge rate...debuff a value of zero..what would be the sense? There are also player devices that disrupt mob sheild recharge rate..if they aren't having shield recharge at its rate...why the heck would you use a device to disrupt their shield recharge rate?

The biggest problems with quoting design or dev Docs is: They were only relevent at the time they were published, after a skill or effect was rolled out they were subject to change and balancing. Many a time a skill was "tweeked" after introduction because they had unintended effects on gsme play or inbalancing, and had to be adjusted...oh and MOST times to the "it's to OP nerf it NOW!...or...it's been nerfed to much make it better NOW!" chorus from player base :)

[quote name='Mattsacre' timestamp='1320385756' post='47991']
If you aren't versed with refuge/refresh devices, they boost recharge rate huge amount (like 500% or so) for 10 sec. If in live your shield stopped recharging during battle, how then would such devices regain 1/4 -1/3 shield back while fighting? It buffed the recharge...no recharge..nothing to boost.
[/quote]

I could offer a possibility, though its only that.

During combat, your shield recharge was reduced by 100%, effectively reducing it to 0, but this was applied the same and stacked as any other buff. So you would still benefit from any shield recharge buffs or debuffs, both from skills, and equipped and activated items. Your effective recharge in combat would be (Total - Base). You would still be able to recieve the full benefit of the Refuge/Restore devices, as well as suffer from Shield Drain affects.

This would fit the "your shields are being stressed" bit, as it would be everything but your shields that was recharging them.

This unfortunately has a serious flaw, with the "Shunt Shields (Instant)" buff. Since your effective recharge if you don't have any shield recharge buffs would be 0, shunt shields would cause you to lose 0 shield energy, and if you were affected with debuffs that took your recharge negative and caused a drain, you would gain shield energy when using it.

As said, just offering a possible explanation, I have nothing to back it up.

[quote name='Earth & Beyond Master Design Document']
“When PW experiments with his ‘shield tuning’ activation, the shield becomes more resistant to energy weapons (which Mob#1 uses). Effect of shield tuning should be enough damage reduction to be easily noticeable ([b]i.e. shields will actually recharge when taking damage in a conflict while shields are tuned[/b], but energy cost (‘drain’) of shield tuning completely stops or greatly slows reactor energy regeneration).

(also, to be sure and quell the age old argument about warp and recharging: -ed)
"During warp flight, energy does not recharge nor do shields."
[/quote]

See above:rolleyes:n bold. ;) Hope that helps.

also, just more for those of you intensely interested in numbers and how damage SHOULD work (we may have modified some things slightly) but:

[attachment=1103:Damage Allocation.docx]

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1320271171' post='47960']
Described in the original design docs we got from the live folks. It is supposed to be the way it appears now (and that's how I remember it as well, anyway).
[/quote]

I didn't know the Dev crew had access to original docs outlining how things worked during live... Damn decent of them, really. Is there a link to these docs so the rest of us can look at them?

[quote name='cappy' timestamp='1320533722' post='48124']
I didn't know the Dev crew had access to original docs outlining how things worked during live... Damn decent of them, really. Is there a link to these docs so the rest of us can look at them?

[/quote]

Sure I put up a link to a 7zip file on net-7.org, note that some of the things on these documents are out of date, they are usually grayed out, and in some cases we are changing to things that fit a better balance for our server. They [b]are not[/b] the final say in anything on this server, only the baseline we go by to try to set things up unless it doesn't work well balance wise. These documents predate the release of E&B live, just before Westwood sold to EA.

Kyp your bolded information appears to be referring to a skill the PW doesnt currently possess. Enhancing the possibility of shields recharging during damage taking. But never was in Live either so not sure what thats being referenced for the overall of shield regenerating. Seems more of a skill that was to be added to enhance shield regen rates more effectively but wasn't the end all be all to shield regenerating.

In Live you could regen shields in combat provided you werent effected by a DoT attack like plasma/chemical. Someone mentioned low level mobs not being able to kill and have shields regened, most of them didn't use DoT effects for attacks thus allowing your shield to regen enough to overcome the minuet damage being dealt by said mob (if being attacked by it). Here seems to be that anytime/anytype of damage stops the regen rate dead in its tracks no matter what (I can die by a level 1 if sitting there long enough taking it with a super equipped insert character). Seems like a flat rate of Xsecs (havent measured exact) before the shield recharge effect takes place.

Yes devices like Restore/Refuge/Refresh also gave significant boosts/additives to that recharge which was a PS's favorite toys to carry helping themselves as well as groupies. Here they are kinda limited in the sense they really only help when combat is over instead of during (unless you factor in the bump from Shunts and things like Martyrs.)

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1320544648' post='48128']
Sure I put up a link to a 7zip file on net-7.org, note that some of the things on these documents are out of date, they are usually grayed out, and in some cases we are changing to things that fit a better balance for our server. They [b]are not[/b] the final say in anything on this server, only the baseline we go by to try to set things up unless it doesn't work well balance wise. These documents predate the release of E&B live, just before Westwood sold to EA.
[/quote]

Yeah, no problem.. I was only able to play the game for about 8 months before they pulled the plug, so my memory is fuzzy on lots of stuff. Thought it would be interesting to see some of the original perameters, but like you say, everything can be improved on.

Thanks!! <_<