Can't alt-tab out / Screen does not repaint

OK so I've always had this problem on my system ever since installing EnB. If I try to alt-tab back to Windows, the screen does not re-paint/refresh. By which I mean, even though I will now have the little-arrow pointer that shows me the desktop is actually active, what I see on my screen is a stillshot of whatever was happening when I alt-tabbed. I can alt-tab back to EnB fine. If I try it about 10 times it will finally work normally...maybe. Maybe it'll take 20 tries. It's very weird.

But, I chalked it up to having a much higher end graphics card than existed back in the day and figured I was stuck with it. Yes I have the latest drivers, etc. It's an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260. ASked on chat numerous times nobody else ever had the issue that I know of. Figured it was just some NVIDIA thing since NVIDIA didn't even exist (kinda) in 2002.

I did NOT have the problem on my spare box which had an old Celeron motherboard with onboard SiS graphics. I had to play it in 16bit mode, true, but all I did for dualboxing with that was use my JE to WH myself around, etc. No biggie.

But that motherboard finally croaked over the weekend so I went into my parts-pit in the garage and found a AMD Sempron board and an AGP slot ATI Radeon 9550 card and got that up and running.

And guess what - same problem. So now we have a Radeon chipset doing the same thing as the NVIDIA. And not a very high end card by any means, it's about what would have been the high end in 2002 probably.

So has ANYONE else ever had this problem and found a fix for it?

i dont alt tab, i use the windows key to go to desktop. about your screen refreshing i curser over the game in taskbar, right click and restore, unless i have 2 clients running then i can just curser over and click on the one i want to enter. its common with windows 7

The first thing that occurs to me is are you running E&B in "windowed" mode or the default "Full Screen"?
(The windowed mode is a check-box option selected in e&bconfig.exe located in the ebconfig client folder and facilitates Windows Alt+Tab fast app switching. As the game is pretty ancient there really isn't any valid reason for not checking this option.)

I'm inclined to think that you are running E&B in full screen as it doesn't interact well with Windows and exhibits issues typical of what you describe.

Running E&B in windowed mode should resolve the issues you have been experiencing.

EnB has NEVER liked being minimized. It would always do this and is client side on the issue not server based.

I run it windowed as others say then when I do minimize I have to shift-right click and restore all windows (I use windows 7) and that gets around the issue. Just a minor annoyance but I doubt it will ever be fixed.