Server Status (outdated)

The server is down, TB is connected and reviewing, presumably now. In terms of time until its back up.. let me go with the old dev standby [b]Soon™[/b]

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1303861695' post='39827']
The server is down, TB is connected and reviewing, presumably now. In terms of time until its back up.. let me go with the old dev standby [b]Soon™[/b]
[/quote]

:o:)
thanks for the update. Guess i will go see the wife unit and see if she is making me something to eat..

[quote name='Eviscerator' timestamp='1303858539' post='39821']
So, it was a crash then? Guess it may be time for a donation drive to fix the server.
[/quote]

Wouldn't make the server go up any faster, at least unless salaries start getting paid to employ people :o However, it would prevent us from having to resort to other means to keep the servers supported. We really, really want to avoid things like ads, but with the current donations in comparison to the required goals, something like that's starting to look more like what we're going to have to do to come up with the difference.

Can't speak for the whole of the board making a decision, but that'd probably be the next step since we have to find a way to pay that server bill for the server to be there.

I would suggest some sort of warning to everyone like "Hey, we haven't met our goals for the past x months - if we can't start meeting them we'll be forced to (action such as ads).

That may prompt an increase in regular donations. Perhaps.

If there are problems reaching the donation goal, I would also start looking at ways to get the resources the project needs cheaper and if the project really needs all the resources we're paying for... Maybe it has already been looked at, so maybe there isn't much that can be done to cut costs, but I just thought I'd bring it up anyway...

[quote name='Knix' timestamp='1303887254' post='39853']
If there are problems reaching the donation goal, I would also start looking at ways to get the resources the project needs cheaper and if the project really needs all the resources we're paying for... Maybe it has already been looked at, so maybe there isn't much that can be done to cut costs, but I just thought I'd bring it up anyway...
[/quote]
monthly software costs can be cut back for instance. webserver monthly cost is outrageous too. so there is things that can be cut back.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1303899963' post='39858']
please not a lunix server ... dear god no.

do they have a half decent debugger/IDE yet? I'm not counting Eclipse as that solution, unless it runs at a faster speed than VS2010 would on a 386.
[/quote]
what's lunix ?

I'm not arguing that the software is not worth the price (it is and it does make things earier) and there probably is no match for them in linux world. alternatives are quite different too. maybe indeed it's cheaper to close the server when donations run dry ;-)

[quote name='rabidcajun' timestamp='1303910553' post='39862']
the single biggest cost is the 2nd server that doesn't really get used. the PTR hasn't even been up in months and the dev sever is ocasionally up, just noone ever on it.
[/quote]

The PTR was meant to be a focus test when we needed it, and I use the developer server all the time, so do most of the others. How did you have that figured? ;)

Besides, they are contracted, even if we were to cut them we'd have to wait until next February to close it out. We've cut everything we can cut at present, except for essentials. The problem is not that donations have gone down, its that costs went up. That can't be controlled, and it means that the costs to keep the server(s) up go up. We used to host all the web services on the dev server, and got teh cheaper web server to host all our sites to prevent outages if we hamstring that server (or Microsoft does, which is more likely given some of the updates they push).

[quote name='karu' timestamp='1303909857' post='39861']
what's lunix ?

I'm not arguing that the software is not worth the price (it is and it does make things earier) and there probably is no match for them in linux world. alternatives are quite different too. maybe indeed it's cheaper to close the server when donations run dry ;-)
[/quote]

'lunix' is a generic industry term for unix/linux OS's.

In the case of the server it'd be a (fairly) simple task to convert it to build with GCC, since most of the work has been done at some point, but we all develop on windows at home, so in terms of comms we'd be hoping it works the same.

Are linux servers notably cheaper anyway, before that thought is completely dismissed?

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1303945866' post='39896']
'lunix' is a generic industry term for unix/linux OS's.

In the case of the server it'd be a (fairly) simple task to convert it to build with GCC, since most of the work has been done at some point, but we all develop on windows at home, so in terms of comms we'd be hoping it works the same.

Are linux servers notably cheaper anyway, before that thought is completely dismissed?
[/quote]

All depends on the hosting company, the bandwidth provided, and how you define 'notably' :)

Crash at 11:37 ET.

Which may not be bad given all the oddities: Gating, Lack of Mobs, missing nav points / gates/stations, etc etc.

Hope you guys can fix it up.

And to think I thought My cable went out... turned the box off and everything just to find out it was the server.. lol

Guess ill find something else to do for awhile...

I don't understand? It was all fine last night. Did someone hack the thing? (Like Sony) I'm not a programmer so I don't know the details. It just seems weird that all of a sudden things don't work. However, my ignorance on the subject no way lessens by deep respect for the DEV's and GM's in not only resurrecting but keeping this game running as well as it has been.
Thanks so much and I hope it's fixed soon. (I need to plasma fry some Antares Chickens) ;-)