Server Status (outdated)

• 2 weeks later...

Should be up and functional, there are people logged in playing, at any rate.

not up for me. but no clue if that's the server or the mess from this weeking hanging over. still getting just a blank page on the net7 launcher and when i try and launch anyway says login failed - server not found.

Does anyone have the original file that goes in the ../host folder. I edited it and I am not sure that the fix will work once the DNS problem is fixed

did mine too. was wondering if just doing a reinstall of net7 would fix it. but afraid to try as long as it's not getting in to check updates

The server problems as far as basic functionality is concerned are corrected. The patching system is mostly up now for the client, and should be up soon for the Net7 files. I've put a placeholder in for the patchnotes so you don't need an error message. You should be able to connect to the play server normally.

Your hosts file does not need to be edited anymore, so that isn't a concern.

Are people having trouble connecting?

The server problems as far as basic functionality is concerned are corrected. The patching system is mostly up now for the client, and should be up soon for the Net7 files. I've put a placeholder in for the patchnotes so you don't need an error message. You should be able to connect to the play server normally.

Your hosts file does not need to be edited anymore, so that isn't a concern.

Are people having trouble connecting?

Not having problems at the moment, will double check when I get home to be absolutely sure. I am sure the direct IP connect will work fine unless they change the static IP address with the DNS change. Keeping an eye on the facebook page, that was how I found the fix.

One suggestion is a backup server for the communicaiton between beta players and the Dev crew. If we have another similar circumstance that knocks Net7 site and the forum down, we need a way to connect with those that know how to access the game. It was really frustrating seeing that 120 people were on the server but not being able to connect because I had unchecked the Local Auth box on Net7

Not having problems at the moment, will double check when I get home to be absolutely sure. I am sure the direct IP connect will work fine unless they change the static IP address with the DNS change. Keeping an eye on the facebook page, that was how I found the fix.

One suggestion is a backup server for the communicaiton between beta players and the Dev crew. If we have another similar circumstance that knocks Net7 site and the forum down, we need a way to connect with those that know how to access the game. It was really frustrating seeing that 120 people were on the server but not being able to connect because I had unchecked the Local Auth box on Net7

We feel the same way. We will set up a website of some sort to serve this purpose in the future.

Just saw Aiel's post above. The DNS server is back online and play.net-7.org works, so hosts file editing is probably a bad idea. I would recommend leaving your hosts file in its standard configuration.

the play server stayed online and working all through the crisis :) There were people online all throughout, in fact the play server became the news hub, however if you couldn't get in you couldn't find the solution to getting in ... it was all a bit chicken and egg.

Like David said in the other post you should change back to the DNS name (play.net-7.org) in your launcher, because more than likely we'll be moving the server in the near future.

Editing your hosts file seems a bit extreme when you could have just typed the temp IP into the launcher address window.

@ Tienbau

Tienbau the issue was the launcher was freezing up etc. and the latest version's 'play' button was disappearing when it couldnt find the update server (though you could press Alt P to launch, but most ppl these days dont remember the keyboard shortcuts)

Editing your hosts file seems a bit extreme when you could have just typed the temp IP into the launcher address window.

Putting the IP in the launcher would let you see the server was up but you wouldn't connect. I tried this several times with no luck so I had to try and figure out what was going on so I could fix it. I ended up checking the debug option in the launcher and I could now see the problem was an error resolving local.net-7.org.

At this point I went through all the CFG files I could find in the net7 directory and sub directories. I found the lines pointing to local.net-7 but I was reluctant to edit these files so I needed an answer elsewhere. That's when I decided the only was to connect was to add a line in the hosts file for local.net-7.org. That line is now edited out with a #.

Editing the hosts file wasn't extreme, it was the only way to get a connection to the server that I could come up with.

were you using local cert? I can't see how you'd need to touch the hosts file otherwise. Local cert is really just an emergency login thing I knocked up for the beta testers before we went live when the certificate ran out and I didn't know how to go about getting it updated.

During the dev server failure you needed to leave the launcher running for about 5 mins to get the 'play' button, type the IP address in the bar, ensure you're not using local cert and it connected - well that's how I got in anyway.

There was a stage that lasted for about 1-2 hours where the login system had gone down and not restarted but this was fixed as soon as I found out about it.

Tienbau I dont know if anyone else has this problem but clicking local cert does not work for me. I get an error every time Ive tried to use it.

Here is the error in the Net7Proxy.exe Dos Window:

Connecting to Authentication Server on 127.0.0.1:443 SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file failed

I run my game without this checked because if I do use it the game either drops at the Megan screen or locks up/crashes to desktop in game.

Never been able to fix this, Ive tried to reinstall the Net7 files via deleting the folder and using a fresh copy.

I run the game without it just fine, and I used the host editing "Fix" plus the addition in the server drop down menu in the client Launcher -> 87.106.15.67

For some reason with this "Fix" the game runs smoother and without the lag I was experiencing before the forum server crash.

Edited by Maniac

Tienbau I dont know if anyone else has this problem but clicking local cert does not work for me. I get an error every time Ive tried to use it.

Here is the error in the Net7Proxy.exe Dos Window:

Connecting to Authentication Server on 127.0.0.1:443 SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file failed

I run my game without this checked because if I do use it the game either drops at the Megan screen or locks up/crashes to desktop in game.

Never been able to fix this, Ive tried to reinstall the Net7 files via deleting the folder and using a fresh copy.

I run the game without it just fine, and I used the host editing "Fix" plus the addition in the server drop down menu in the client Launcher -> 87.106.15.67

For some reason with this "Fix" the game runs smoother and without the lag I was experiencing before the forum server crash.

This stems from some disagreement between the private key file and SSL certificate. It can be fixed by resetting your updates, which forces the launcher to re-download the correct SSL certificate.

In the launcher, go to the "Launcher" menu in the upper left-hand corner, select "Reset Updates" from the menu, and click "OK" on the dialog box that comes up. This should sort out the problem.

were you using local cert? I can't see how you'd need to touch the hosts file otherwise. Local cert is really just an emergency login thing I knocked up for the beta testers before we went live when the certificate ran out and I didn't know how to go about getting it updated.

During the dev server failure you needed to leave the launcher running for about 5 mins to get the 'play' button, type the IP address in the bar, ensure you're not using local cert and it connected - well that's how I got in anyway.

There was a stage that lasted for about 1-2 hours where the login system had gone down and not restarted but this was fixed as soon as I found out about it.

I tried it with the box for local cert ticked and didn't connect so I unchecked it again but still failed to connect, that's when I went into debug mode and saw it was a simple name resolution problem. I suppose editing the hosts file would be a bit extreme for the average user but as a network engineer it seemed the obvious fix. Works too :D

I was gettin skeered! No website, and EBnotifier said server was down. I thought, "oh noes, the emu went poof", cried and went back to playing Anarchy Online (at least I could still be a Jenquai there (JorgX still exists there, it doesn't have a lot of members left, but it's still alive)).

Just to remember for everyone:

You can always logon without the launcher with this shortcut:

C:\NET7\bin\net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:87.106.15.67 /CLIENT:"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\RELEASE\client.exe" /POPT

In this case where the DNS was the problem it should be the easiest 'fix'. :)

I have always this shortcut on my desktop, and normally launch the game with it. Just every day i check one time for an update with the launcher. :P

greets

Hexergirl

Greetings!

Just wondering if the servers are down. The launcher says that play.net-7.org is offline.

I'm showing people logging into it right now and people playing on the server console.

I'm showing people logging into it right now and people playing on the server console.

Okay thanks...I am at a hotel and keep getting the message "server not responding to login request"

I didn't think it was down but at least now I know.