Server Status (outdated)

Play server has been up a short while now however, still got the same issues.

After character selection some characters see proxy log fill with opcode errors -- probably the packets that describe vault content as opening vault inside station shows an empty vault where items should be. Probably more to it as some characters don't see incoming messages on any chat channel but what they type can be seen.

Opening device recipe lists at the manufacturing terminal leads to a proxy crash.

It's as though some old code got out on to play server.

Think I'll sit this out until things are fixed -- good luck.

:wub:

I'm having that issue not being able to see chat or even talk to any npcs and undock from the station i am in and I don't see any opcode errors. I also have a bunch of null items in the vault.

EDIT: btw creating another character didnt do anything either, it wont even load in at all. I have several people in my friends list but none of it shows up as you can see in the attached screenshot.

Edited by CptGemini

This is suspiciously similar to an issue I had in the dev server a little while ago... possibly related? Did you notice any weirdness while moving around?

Well i've been with the community for about 6 days now and this is the first problem I have ever had aside from the lag issue. Nothing I have done works, i've checked and unchecked the packet optomization and packet reordering and that didnt work. I have turned off my wifi and went back to hardwire and that didnt work either. Creating another character has obviously not worked either. As far as moving around goes I can do that but when I click on an NPC to talk to them nothing comes up and I am unable to move or even logout or exit and I am forced to use the task manager to kill the app.

This is suspiciously similar to an issue I had in the dev server a little while ago... possibly related? Did you notice any weirdness while moving around?

That's assuming one is actually able to get past the login screen. Right now, net7proxy will post a bunch of bad opcodes upon character selection and then it's a flip of the coin whether your character appears, or net7proxy errors out. If you do manage to make into the game, then more than likely you'll have some bad opcodes as the dock animation finishes. If at this point net7proxy hasn't crashed yet, you'll likely notice that your vault is full of null items and your chat channels are non-functional.

This is occurring for me across multiple characters.

Yeah, it looks like something screwed up heavily and we've got chaos on the server.

Items turning into null items, people crashing in login with bad opcodes, people unable to chat on any channel, mobs becoming invisible, weapons failing to fire even though you're in range, buff icons from one character appearing on a character on a totally different account, freewarping causing you to shoot off in random directions or bounce around the map unpredictably... sheesh. Which problems you get and how bad they are seem to be totally random too; some people are fine, others are so horribly screwed that the game is unplayable.

I think we need a server restart at the very least here.

EDIT: Talking with Blacklung and other folks on Teamspeak, looks like we need to roll back to a backup; Sadly, that can't be done until either Tienbau or David returns to do so. According to Blacklung, there's nothing anyone can do right now. We just have to be patient and wait for the devs to return and fix this.

EDIT: Talking with Blacklung and other folks on Teamspeak, looks like we need to roll back to a backup; Sadly, that can't be done until either Tienbau or David returns to do so. According to Blacklung, there's nothing anyone can do right now. We just have to be patient and wait for the devs to return and fix this.

I guess its world of warcraft for me until things are peachy again lol. I wonder how far the rollback would be, i've only been playing just under a week.

Edited by CptGemini

Supposedly Player Database is completely separate from game. A rollback should only affect the game.

there was chaos on the server because it had been restarted with a bad source update sync (no one's fault). One of the threads had crashed, with the server limping on like some sort of deranged zombie. Could a zombie successfully serve your E&B serving needs? no, and unfortunately the zombified server could not either. Brrraaainnnns.

I have updated the source base with the relevant fixes, and restarted. After the restart the server *should* be running the best it has in a long time, as all the anti-lag work has gone in now. We're pretty confident it's fully working as it's been tested on the PTR for about 3 weeks or so.

No rollback required ... the server is a complex beast and when things go pear-shaped there are all sorts of weird things going on - you can try to guess what the exact problem is from the symptoms but in 9999 cases out of 10000 you'll be wrong (me included). The only thing that determines the real problem is a thorough debugging.

What we're seeing here is the first big source update in weeks, so there are bound to be a few problems, but hopefully this is the only one.

Fingers crossed, god willing and the creek don't rise, the server should be better than ever after the restart.

• Upvote 1

there was chaos on the server because it had been restarted with a bad source update sync (no one's fault). One of the threads had crashed, with the server limping on like some sort of deranged zombie. Could a zombie successfully serve your E&B serving needs? no, and unfortunately the zombified server could not either. Brrraaainnnns.

I have updated the source base with the relevant fixes, and restarted. After the restart the server *should* be running the best it has in a long time, as all the anti-lag work has gone in now. We're pretty confident it's fully working as it's been tested on the PTR for about 3 weeks or so.

No rollback required ... the server is a complex beast and when things go pear-shaped there are all sorts of weird things going on - you can try to guess what the exact problem is from the symptoms but in 9999 cases out of 10000 you'll be wrong (me included). The only thing that determines the real problem is a thorough debugging.

What we're seeing here is the first big source update in weeks, so there are bound to be a few problems, but hopefully this is the only one.

Fingers crossed, god willing and the creek don't rise, the server should be better than ever after the restart.

I am just curious, what are the stats on the box the server is running on?

BTW I hope there will never be a character wipe. I have gotten a hell of a lot further in the game than I ever did on live.

Edited by CptGemini

I am just curious, what are the stats on the box the server is running on?

AFAIK this has been answered in a few other threads, but it's pretty much irrelevant because we're running an unoptimised build in a debugging harness.

The PTR server is the only one that runs as a full standalone optimised build.

I think it's an 8-core machine pretty highly clocked with a LOT of RAM.

Next month we'll probably switch the play server over to a standalone optimised build and you'll really see some improvement then, but for now the improvements I talked about should be noticable.

AFAIK this has been answered in a few other threads

Sorry but I am new to the community. I've read a few dozen threads or so since I have became a member last weekend, especially when I get bored enough I'll come here sometimes and read some replies to threads ive posted in and read some rather old threads. Forgot to mention it in the above post but thanks for the good work you guys are putting in. If I had a job right now I would be donating as much as I could to the project but right now I am barely straining to pay for my own website right now being out of work :(.

Edited by CptGemini

ya ever sence the "update" i havent been able to use my TE toon "Wingnut" all my othere toons are working ( wingnutJE,PW TT, and TS) but not my main toon. (kinda upseting sence i was lvl 116 and 33% away from my next set of guns. any ways you guys are doing a great job keep up the good work! and if you could help out my TE :(

Just for more info

My JE is in Chernovog station,was working fine after earlier restart,but I docked and went to a vendor.Got stuck on the vendor and ever since I have been able to log in,but as soon as he docks the game crashes out to desktop.With the latest restart it didn't change anything.

I log in, he docks and game crashes.

Not sure if this is relevant, but certain toons are causing net7proxy to insta-hang upon login. By insta-hang I mean that net7proxy causes Windows to through up an error dialog box with the standard "Send Error Report/Don't Send" options. Selecting either one cause the net7proxy output window to close, and the enb client finally says "Lost Connection to Server."

Hope that helps.

hmm, it's running fine except for the lack of MOBs in some areas. I have no idea what this is about since the mobs are there on the PTR, which is running the same source. I'll investigate this.

Nope, play server still has the same problems reported earlier -- seems like packet sequences sent to the proxy from the server are getting fracked. This effects manufacturing terminal, docking at station (loading vault content), accessing vendors. Symptoms are crashed proxy, unrecognized packets opcodes, null items in vault/vendor, invisible items in vault.

Not sure if this is relevant, but certain toons are causing net7proxy to insta-hang upon login. By insta-hang I mean that net7proxy causes Windows to through up an error dialog box with the standard "Send Error Report/Don't Send" options. Selecting either one cause the net7proxy output window to close, and the enb client finally says "Lost Connection to Server."

Hope that helps.

this is exactly what im experiencing on pc and laptop..and strangely enuff can log onto the other server

Edited by Famine