Server Status (outdated)

A little gushy, Bellatrixxe, but I agree in principal.   :-)

Lol well yeah Bob, I know but I've been on the other side of the fence and being under-appreciated is generally the way back office peeps are treated....so a little over-appreciation can't hurt.  It's too easy to complain about downtime and server outages, my hope is that a little humor and gratitude reminds people who are getting frustrated that we owe these guys having this game and everything that comes with it.  I'd hate for them to get burnt out, complained out and feeling like no one gets how much work this is for them....I lived through one sunset, would like to not see another for a long time!   So while I gush, it's because I <3 this team for bringing my first love MMO back!  :)

Poof again :)

Hey lets make a new Topic with a bet counter all can give a bet when server hits the floor again for let say 5 ingame creds and winner (closest to the time) can run around and collect it :ph34r:

pfft !! i could fix the problems in erm ...erm...errm ....erm ..... tbh i aint got the slightest clue how the team does it , keep up the good work guys and thankyou . :)

Merry Christmas and a happy new Year :)

tbh i aint got the slightest clue how the team does it

It's easy tbh - whenever its crashing, we change the server.

• Last week it was an ATARI ST 1040 - that crashed "so so"....
  • Now we are trying a Sinclair ZX - but that one is no good
  • Currently we are figuring out where the C64 is to plug it in, lets see if this one is better.

Some other DEV of the team said "its not the server, its the code" - but thats of course not possible so we taped him in the backyard in front of a speaker (2000 watt) and play "The best of Berimbau" to him...till he sings our song (server....not code...server...) :lol:  (Jack Bauer would be proud of us)

Seriously:

A major part of the ongoing work is the "code flow", the syncronization (sp?) of the diff. parts of the code. This is also changing "timings" in the server which is the lag you are currently experiencing (hanging at galaxy map is nothing else).

Basically we NEED this lag to be able to track it down and fix it to go on with the changes.

Ok, out again - i think KYP found his old "Apple IIe" which we want to try for today.... :lol:

I think the word live was applied a little early. What are we averaging right now,  3 or 4 crashes a day.   I feel for you guys trying to  fix this issue.

It was stated already:

Without going live we would not have the huge amount of players revealing the problems we are currently fixing.

IF(!) this amount of players would have played in beta, the problems were also in the fix now but the game not "live" until this is fixed. It wasn't a choice or decision but more how life goes sometimes.

the server is probly buried under a foot of snow :) j/k.  I have to go out & shovel then go pick up Strettch from work, so you have a couple of hours to get it back up & running, Zack,  I will need to go out to kill something after the drive to relax my nerves :)

Most of us know server crashes are trial and error sometimes till you find the right combination of patches and such.

So just inform those who cant understand how incredibly complex server code can be (especially for an MMO) that they are more than welcome to reverse engineer their own server... LOL

Keep up the good work guys :)

• Upvote 1

the server is probly buried under a foot of snow :) j/k.  I have to go out & shovel then go pick up Strettch from work, so you have a couple of hours to get it back up & running, Zack,  I will need to go out to kill something after the drive to relax my nerves :)

I'm not on duty atm, currently Tienbau is on it       cola.gif

Actually I do know how complex it is,  thats why I said I feel for these guys trying to fix it,    

Perhaps people shouldn't be so fast to flame everyone that says something  they don't like. Or can't

comprehend sarcasm.  I could say more but I will leave that for your next flame, everyone needs a hobby.

• Upvote 1

well if it was easy we'd all be Server Devs......

Searing

Actually I agree with you, I AM a server developer, just not this server, and I do know how difficult, tricky, frustrating that really is, especially considering that complex web of stats, and God is my witness, I do not envy you guys at this moment... Stating opinions or pointers does not really mean "whine", all hearts with Tienbau at this moment...

Being a Server Developer is kinda like being a Mom and Dad trying to tell your kids that dinner will be late or not at all because we cant find it.

Keep up the good work.

hmm i have a old well used but stable Nokia N73 Handy (cellphone)maybe we can plug that in if the C64 Fails .. (i wonder where my Amiga 500 went.. maybe...)

Edited by Aru

hmm i have a old well used but stable Nokia N73 Handy maybe we can plug that in if the C64 Fails .. (i wonder where my Amiga 500 went.. maybe...)

Moin ! Unsere englischsprachigen Freunde sagen "Cellphone", denn "Handy" gilt dort als "handlich, praktisch, nützlich" und wird in diesem Zusammenhang nicht verstanden :P

Translated:

Our english speaking friends dont understand the word "handy" in this context as they say "cellphone" to what was refered here.