Server Status (outdated)

[quote name='Copernicus' timestamp='1353888769' post='67156']
Today has been horrible for gameplay. At least for me.
[/quote]

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but bugs are bugs and show up more often under heavy load.

Just think of it this way, each and every time this happens, is another bug that is being squashed.

[quote name='Stanig' timestamp='1353888935' post='67157']
We are sorry for the inconvenience, but bugs are bugs and show up more often under heavy load.

Just think of it this way, each and every time this happens, is another bug that is being squashed.
[/quote]

actually I enjoyed it, lots of game play discussion between the crashes....and long time since 400 ppl been on at once...

[quote name='zazue' timestamp='1353909004' post='67184']
since going to "Live" there has been more problems than with the stress test ....
[/quote]

Scale. The problems were always there, they just werent known about because of so few players on all the time and playing a lot of sectors/content like they are now. So things didnt get fixed because they werent known to be an issue.

Unfortunately the largest issue is still a work in progress for resolution, just be as patient as possible.

That being said, there is no one on atm from SDEV.

Let me try to explain the problem as it was explained to me by Zackman. Understand this is an analogy and not to be taken literally.

There is a memory corruption issue caused by two pieces of memory being called at the exact same instant. Think a bank teller that can only handle one customers account at a time. Except for when things crash and go wrong for the most part right now, its because two people showed up at the window at the exact same moment in time, and there was nothing forcing them to line up one after the other.

When you have 100 people on, that instance happens pretty rarely, but when you have 400 on, it becomes exponentially more common of an occurrence.

The other side of the issue is that there is no real way to track exactly which input/output from memory is causing the issue... to give you an idea... take a look at this picture. Zack knows one of the "wires" (not literal wires, its just an analogy) is broken but he has no exact pointer to which wire is broken. So all he can do is track the bugs as they happen and try to scan the code for specific errors as they happen. It is a needle in a haystack.

[img]http://hovercraftdoggy.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/google-data-center-servers.jpg[/img]

idea? open another server and split the server load? just idea...probly a bad one. 8}

actual;lly it would be cool to open a new server every year or 2..the fun of leveling race is kind of nice.. would be a bummer to not have the everyone at zero leveling race again.

Wouldnt fix the problem. It isnt the server or the hardware, its a software/source code issue. It has to be tracked down in the source and have a sort of filter put in place that forces memory queries to be handled one at a time. It is just a painstaking process, and because we have so few coders on the team, its a massive job for the one or two people able to dedicate serious time to it.

Yeah I was just hoping if i tried to actually explain in the simple terms it was explained to me... what was going on, then people wouldnt be so upset and anxious about it all. We know there has been an excessive amount of restarts and downtime since the numbers started skyrocketing. It was an unforeseen development, we didnt expect it. There were never enough people on doing all the tasks we are doing now to cause the leaks/issues to manifest often enough to realize what was really causing it.

[quote name='Stanig' timestamp='1353911330' post='67202']
Yeah I was just hoping if i tried to actually explain in the simple terms it was explained to me... what was going on, then people wouldnt be so upset and anxious about it all. We know there has been an excessive amount of restarts and downtime since the numbers started skyrocketing. It was an unforeseen development, we didnt expect it. There were never enough people on doing all the tasks we are doing now to cause the leaks/issues to manifest often enough to realize what was really causing it.
[/quote]

maybe you didnt' but i did. I've been in too many beta tests over the decades. as numbers climb all kinds of little bugs start showing up you never thought you'd see.

can't help much with the codeing.. Never got into that part of it.

But that was a very very good explination should clear it up for most people. we're having growing pains....and that's a good thing.

Yeah, I mean we expected bugs of course, and crashes, but this particular issue was kind of a sleeper from what I gathered at the meetings over it. It just wasnt known at all, and so forth.

That being said, I wouldnt expect a restart til Rolo comes on, and that could be anywhere from now til 6am considering he is in the UK, failing that Zack should be around sometime after that. So there is no ETA but id guesstimate anywhere from 1-6 hours before we are back up.

well gating works , WH works , undocking works but docking takes sometimes around 5 minutes and checked 2 jobterminals (charon cloister and net7) neither one had a job nor gave one after some time waiting
i can test further while i am in the game Edited by duvel

Ok so i wake up early on my Birthday like the Big Kid that i am Thinking Ok today im Playing EnB all day just to find out the about this bug after being online for like 30-min and now i cant play till the SDEV wakes up

*spits out Dummy and Shouts* Its My Birthday wake the SDEV up so i can play

hehehe

no worrys i know the hiccups get a pain at times it just happens when i have the day off to play :( but after reding up some posts about you saying about Rolo coming on at 6am uk time its 7:01am here in the UK atm