/* Improve distribution */
y ^= (y >> 11);
y ^= (y << 7) & 0x9d2c5680UL;
y ^= (y << 15) & 0xefc60000UL;
y ^= (y >> 18);

return y;
}
[/code]

I haven't the foggiest what this was designed to do, as I've never worked in the file where it crashed. However, the next thing under this on the stack is something about getting Hate/Threat from a mob, so its probably best if we wait it out, I suspect otherwise it'll happen again and you'll be down even longer especially given the popularity and prevalence of combat.

Just so you know [b]why[/b] you're waiting.
[/quote]

Just FYI this is the mersenne twister fast random code. The reason it crashed was (I think) because I had a call to it from inside the sector threads. I think what was happening was that two (or more) sector threads were trying to use the code at the same time, and the array index went out of bounds due to simultaneous usage. I hadn't put a mutex on this code as mutexes are for amateurs, because there's always a better (but more time consuming) solution. Rather than mutexing this code that's meant to be fast I used a thread safe random generator instead.

The mersenne twister was needed for fast loot and ore picking under the new optimised weighting system. We needed random numbers that were higher range than the range of the intrinsic 'rand()' command. I just thought it would be fun to use the mersenne twister for some hate calcs, however it turned out not to be such a good idea!

fixed now.

Oh and PS this isn't a stack overflow, technically it's an uninitialised data section overflow. Stack is used for local variables, whereas the twister data is allocated statically in the program's execution space, because it's declared as a global, but not initialised until it's first used (hence uninitialised data section).

eek, I had to do an unscheduled restart, there was a div by zero that I couldn't live patch :(

I spotted it about a minute before the crash, was trying to live patch but the patch wouldn't go through, then I was thinking 'hmmmmmmmmm... how long before it blows??' the answer ... not long. Fixed and restarting!

[quote name='Krumm' timestamp='1320906328' post='48338']
How long does it take to restart? My launcher says StARTING...
Both Updates are done
Hopefully its soon. I gots me some belters to smack around!

-Quartermaine
[/quote]

already back up

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Ulutia' timestamp='1322786336' post='49092']
Hopefully Tienbau is fixing that annoying "robot" message.
[/quote]
I hope so. I needed a break anyway, which is what I say every time the server goes down.

[quote name='spinal7' timestamp='1322786686' post='49094']
I hope so. I needed a break anyway, which is what I say every time the server goes down.
[/quote]

I hope they can it back up and fix the message...\0/...I'm starting to freak, am I the only one that does see the weird robot over there????

[quote name='AZdexter' timestamp='1322788873' post='49095']
glad to know it was server wide and not just me freaked me out there for a sec :lol:

I hope they can it back up and fix the message...\0/...I'm starting to freak, am I the only one that does see the weird robot over there????
[/quote]

[quote name='Shaun of the dead' timestamp='1322789864' post='49099']
any idea how long it will be till it is back up?
[/quote]

Starting now, EnBNotifier tells me, you can D/L it at www.net-7.org

Great little program :lol: Edited by TooTall

oh c'mon the robot message wasn't that bad. Just 'cos Fleer got freaked out a bit by SAM lurking underwater ...

But yeah, you should now only see each 'welcome' message a 2-3 times during log-in. The crash was due to a timing issue with message changing I hadn't thought of, but it's fixed now.