Server Status (outdated)

[quote name='Zenshau' timestamp='1312428042' post='43990']
Well, hope Tien gets it going ... but I have to call it a night. If anyone sees Vaden online let him know that Zen is still alive, just been busy with RL
[/quote]
Wonder how many times Vaden will be informed of this because of this post.

Yeah I heard they are "renting" the use of the server, which to me sounds expensive..

It would seem to me to be much easier to get a loan and buy a server and use donations to pay back the loan - donations are often used as capital/income for societies to get loans. Otherwise we'll end up paying several times what it would cost for that kind of server, and the rental fees will go on and on.

I'm sure others have an opinion on this, but if money is going to be an issue, then i hope we find solutions to trim the fat. We should get out own server imho.

Cheers.
  • Upvote 1

renting is probably the cheapest way to get near 24/7 uptime if you can get a good s.l.a. deal. The cost of a server aint the hardware but things like techies that keep the fans working and are standing by 24/7 to replace a dead disk. with a 99.99% uptime the cost of the hardware is what 10% with a 3 year writ off. And in stead of upgrading hardware ever 3 years you can get a new sever yearly ...

[quote name='snotty' timestamp='1312435693' post='44005']
renting is probably the cheapest way to get near 24/7 uptime if you can get a good s.l.a. deal. The cost of a server aint the hardware but things like techies that keep the fans working and are standing by 24/7 to replace a dead disk. with a 99.99% uptime the cost of the hardware is what 10% with a 3 year writ off. And in stead of upgrading hardware ever 3 years you can get a new sever yearly ...
[/quote]

aahhhhhhhh.... I dont want to be severed yearly!!!!

[quote name='cappy' timestamp='1312431850' post='44000']
Yeah I heard they are "renting" the use of the server, which to me sounds expensive..

It would seem to me to be much easier to get a loan and buy a server and use donations to pay back the loan - donations are often used as capital/income for societies to get loans. Otherwise we'll end up paying several times what it would cost for that kind of server, and the rental fees will go on and on.

I'm sure others have an opinion on this, but if money is going to be an issue, then i hope we find solutions to trim the fat. We should get out own server imho.

Cheers.
[/quote]

They have posted before their thoughts on why rent vs. buy...think of it like this: the ones that own and rent the server have a excellent uptime and repair record, and have a refund for downtime policy (think the cable co. would refund you if you was without cable a couple days? Heck no..these guys DO.)

Its like a buy a house vs. rent...if you had a great landlord that repaired things on time, didn't charge you outragious rent for "the view" or "location". Who didn't try and jack your rent up every 6 months, didn't complain about the occasional late night party, etc etc. etc. and to top it off the neighbors were a pleasant lot. Would you be all set to get into personal debt to buy a house to give shelter for your hobby? Would you go into debt in a high tax, high housing cost, snobby neighborhood with the chance of foreclosure or confiscation etc etc. just to house say a hobby of butterfly collecting, while you lived in your REAL house that you was in for day to day living? Would you get that loan for that butterfly house from the lender with no collateral than other persons saying they will donate to recoup costs?

Remember...all on the EMU project are volunteers that work on it for the love of it..they can't afford a butterfly house to fund their hobby. The costs of the project depend on donations to fund the month to month costs of operation. Unless some rich and generous benifactor was to step forward and actually buy a server and month to months requisite costs associated with it then a buy option isn't really there. ( remember potential rich benefactor: foreclosure....what if you bought it all and actually did commit to it all and the EMU went cablooie from a lawsuit or some unforseen happenstance...your generosity could all go out the window not unlike a house in foreclosure..you lose all your equity.)

That all being said, if you can afford to be generous..please DO contribute..the guys all involved in the EMU do it out of love. None of the revenue is wasted, it goes to improve things for all, like upgrades and costs etc. In a perfect world projects like this would get all the free funding it needed for the good of the human race and giant game killers like E.veryone A.bhores would be dismantled for the same reasons :(

Amsterdam hosted servers ftw!!!.

I am a DBA for a game production company and renting servers is definitely much cheaper over the long run especially if the service is good and the hardware is regularly upgraded. Hosting a high bandwidth server is a pain in the ass when it comes down. As others have mentioned the expense of rentals is offset by the piece of mind that someone else is responsible for any hardware issues. Since downtime costs these services money it also helps keep prices competitive, price comparisons, and the ability to negotiate service cost vs downtime.

One thing that I found very useful is running virtual servers. This gives more flexibility, allows to spawn new and/or duplicate servers if needed, and has a number of other admin benefits. Also makes it very easy to move to a different/newer server if needed (wonder how often the Devs are backing up their DB?).

[quote name='rolo' timestamp='1312443625' post='44020']
Had a look at the code but it's in an area I'm not familiar with. Will have to wait on TB to fix this.

Rolo
[/quote]

anyone got a phone number :( j/k

If you guys ever need help with virtualisation, or something networking related I can assist, but I have not coded in years and even then it was only java, not c++ so I can't volunteer for that.

I think you guys have done an amazing job to get the system up and running. Keep it up.

[quote name='Hypnos' timestamp='1312447810' post='44030']
Ummm.....I't's not starting up at my house. Anything I need to do other than wait?

Thanks.......:(
[/quote]

ya. it did not ever finish starting up by the looks of it...

[quote name='Evermore' timestamp='1312432613' post='44003']
24 hours ago from this post, the server was up for 366hrs, and as for buying a server - if there was a hardware issue, how long would we be down for then ???
[/quote]

I see what you are saying. I'm certainly not saying there aren't plusses and minuses for each, but my friend runs two or three servers, and hardware issues are pretty rare for him, and he usually has things repaired pretty quick if they do break, since they run out of his house. He is also a certified administrator so software issues are also dealt with as soon as he knows about it. He makes money on the servers, so he can't have them down for long periods. So the server would have to find a good home, I'll give you that, but there seems to be some pretty computer savvy people involved with this project.

It just seemed to me to be a better option that having to come short for rent. Maybe this won't be an issue, but I wanted to throw the idea out there to see what people thought of it.

[quote name='cappy' timestamp='1312448742' post='44034']
I see what you are saying. I'm certainly not saying there aren't plusses and minuses for each, but my friend runs two or three servers, and hardware issues are pretty rare for him, and he usually has things repaired pretty quick if they do break, since they run out of his house. He is also a certified administrator so software issues are also dealt with as soon as he knows about it. He makes money on the servers, so he can't have them down for long periods. So the server would have to find a good home, I'll give you that, but there seems to be some pretty computer savvy people involved with this project.

It just seemed to me to be a better option that having to come short for rent. Maybe this won't be an issue, but I wanted to throw the idea out there to see what people thought of it.
[/quote]

I work for XO Communications in the USA, and i can tell you that renting a dedicated server is by far better as far as support goes than hosting your own. Your not going to be able to get all the back up equipment and what not you need to keep it running, not to mention your not going to have a 20 Gbit fiber ring in your premises.

I could probably host a server here at my house as i have an insane connection to the net, but there won't be reliability because i don't have any guarantee on the connection and it does go down.

That said, i am with the guys here, renting is best option over all.

Also TB what exactly happened to the server in the coding?

Get technical (i can handle it) ;)

Bitstorm

[quote name='Smallyoda' timestamp='1312448758' post='44035']
So which sector is the new black hole in?
[/quote]

lol that would have been a pretty awesome crash due to the physics going tits up like that, but alas it was a lot more mundane than that ;) I was taking the modulus of a numerical weight but the modulus ended up being zero in one case.

Did we just crash?

Nope all on my end. Nevermind. Edited by Riz