Server Status (outdated)

[quote name='rabidcajun' timestamp='1309053573' post='42608']
and boom, down again it seems, up less than an hour
[/quote]

Yup yup.... down. That was just a 30 minute teaser hehe :unsure:

[quote name='Eden' timestamp='1309041847' post='42587']
Thank-you for correcting my misconception and providing all of us with an explanation of the longer than usual hiatus. Downtime is irksome but made far more palatable when it comes with an explanation.

Still, it would be nice if spawn timers could be adjusted in some way to give us a reasonable expectation of being able to kill bosses more frequently than once a week. It's quite obvious that the code isn't going to be perfected overnight and given that the server needs to be bounced on an almost daily basis having Blackbeard [i]et al[/i] on a 24-36 hour timer seems counter productive for both developer and player alike. Is it possible to reduce spawn delay until the server is a little more robust?
[/quote]

We go through patches where the server stays up for over a week and then to times when it seems to be crashing all the time.

At the moment the main crashes are in some old code that uses very heavy STL, but it's mostly reliable and very scary so I've got no desire to try to recode it any time soon. I just bunged an exception bodge around it to keep the server going if there are problems in future.

So ... it should be ok.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1309128215' post='42650']
We go through patches where the server stays up for over a week and then to times when it seems to be crashing all the time.

At the moment the main crashes are in some old code that uses very heavy STL, but it's mostly reliable and very scary so I've got no desire to try to recode it any time soon. I just bunged an exception bodge around it to keep the server going if there are problems in future.

So ... it should be ok.
[/quote]

I can appreciate your concerns and unwillingness to mess with something so complex (even if it is broken). Perhaps if we spoke to the GM's nicely they'd spawn him manually for us? Surely the situation warrants a degree of pragmatism as there's not a great deal of content for high level players at the moment with feather not dropping, is it really that unreasonable to expect a little compromise?

Thank-you :)

it's not so much broken (since it mostly works fine) as just very occaisionally unreliable. This is more due to the fact it uses the Standard Template Library rather than anything else, which is not inherently 100% stable unless used exactly correctly (and no-one other than its creators really know how to use it 100% correctly).

With the exception wrapper it should work fine for what we need.

Yes I suspect GM's could do a courtesy respawn. I respawned BBG an hour ago but I suspect some enterprising individual (or group) has found him by now !

Hence the thank-you, a great raid was had by all, sadly the item I was hoping for didn't drop but that's not the point. Other people who joined in the fun got stuff they wanted. I drove a group for the first time and made a terrible mess of it but we eventually triumphed despite my terrible driving and pitiful scan range. What is important is we did it together and hopefully, with the experience, next time I'll perform a little better and get fewer people killed in the process!

• 1 month later...