Net-7 Website: Whats in development

Hi Everyone,

Im sure most of you already know me, but for those that dont, Im Slayerman, Steve for real... (Im guessing most of you use my database already)

Ive been working with the project for about 6 months now, and i now head up the Web Development team.

So, I thought i better make a post to let you all know whats Coming Soon and what the Web Dev team are working

The biggest project we have going is the new front end for the Net-7 site.

Planned Features:

• Registration/Login system - Done
  • Forum Signature Creator - Done
  • Character Planner - Almost complete, a few bugs
  • Dynamic Database Driven Sector Maps - Almost done, a few bugs
  • Live Announcement/News feeds from the forum - Done
  • EnB Database integration (Toggle to show your builds) - Not started yet

And so much more...

Sample of the front page, showing the Char Planner and a screen shot of the JE planner half integrated :lol:

Framework for Sector Maps

Signature builder

• Upvote 2

I have a suggestion (as usual)

I think that a web based bug reporting system for the players at large could possibly speed up fixes, and as a bonus let us help.

Reporting things to the “Beta” players’ sort of, kind of works, but in all honesty it lacks in players reporting what could be serious issues. It is much easier to just assume that is has been reported.

Add a section to the mysql db, player bugs or similar. Allow a simple keyword search on those reported bugs by both players and devs. This would allow one to see if it has been reported previously.

------

A drop down list displaying area of problem

A Dev only area to mark level of bug severity 1 – 4 would require Dev review

1 – Critical show stopper

2 – Bad needs fairly immediate attention

3 – Cosmetic – Typo or similar

4- Wish – no need to fix but could be after the above have been addressed

Comment area for the bug itself.

Possibly add directions on this page for listing steps to recreate the issue/bug.

What do you think?

I have a suggestion (as usual)

I think that a web based bug reporting system for the players at large could possibly speed up fixes, and as a bonus let us help.

Reporting things to the “Beta” players’ sort of, kind of works, but in all honesty it lacks in players reporting what could be serious issues. It is much easier to just assume that is has been reported.

Add a section to the mysql db, player bugs or similar. Allow a simple keyword search on those reported bugs by both players and devs. This would allow one to see if it has been reported previously.

------

A drop down list displaying area of problem

A Dev only area to mark level of bug severity 1 – 4 would require Dev review

1 – Critical show stopper

2 – Bad needs fairly immediate attention

3 – Cosmetic – Typo or similar

4- Wish – no need to fix but could be after the above have been addressed

Comment area for the bug itself.

Possibly add directions on this page for listing steps to recreate the issue/bug.

What do you think?

A skill that partially works, but doesn't fully work properly would fall under which number?

We used to allow players to create bug reports on our main system..

How ever, this was seriously messed up.

Bug reports were created with NO usable information, missing details and things werent even bugs, that is why the method of reporting but was changed to reporting to an ingame beta.

That way the devs get the information they require and not useless rubbish, this leads to a faster fix once a decent report has been made.

I hope this makes sense (it does in my head)

Guest tom123il

Agree that much of what you will get will be trash, but I think you may be missing bugs for the reason(s) stated above and elsewhere. An anology is it takes a process of nearly 33 tons of material to produce an ounce of gold. Seems to me it could be worked in such a way to get that ounce of gold.

Sounds pretty awesome :(

Read-only access to Mantis wouldn't hurt though (IMHO), so you can look if your problem has already been reported.

I beleive you can register and get read only access ??

Someone please correct me if i am wrong

• Upvote 1

I think they are still working on it... not quite sure it is ready for a public release just yet...

Mantis seems to work fine for me

I will have a word with the dev team to find out if i can give you the link

Thanks

• Upvote 1

You are correct. Before the crash, you could register, log in and look at the bugs posted. However, the bookmark I had for the login no longer works.

He's also correct that we restored it, but we did it on a different path:

Mantis site

You should only have access to view and read. We originally disabled the bug reporting by standard users because when we get a ticket like

"Mission Problem"

I did a mission in Earth that didn't work.

---

well, you get the idea, that doesn't help much. ^_^ Unfortunately we don't have the time to configure mantis for individual types of tickets. Once we do we could change that a bit and may be able to open it back up. For the time being, use the player submission forum and the betas will look at them, test them, and post to mantis as needed.

its a nice site your working on there ... very usefull too ;D

not loving the buttons tho ... seem old-school ... a bit like it was made using crappy frontpage (only the buttons!!!

I didnt do the buttons :)

LOL

However, the Character planner is now working and integrated, signature builder done (screenshot now added) and working.

More feedback please folks, we love feed back :)

Fantastic

This all looks amazing. The sig creator as well. Not sure how often it'd be used by a single member other than maybe 2-3 times (possibly 4 times) per member and using web space (and bandwidth?) for a feature that isn't as used as many of the others. But even still, it all looks good though.

I've been hoping for that mapping as well and the char planner I know will help me at least even if no one else uses it :)

This is the kind of communication and feed back I think a lot of us were looking for. And Slayerman made good on his words when he said there would be more of it.

"Now thats change you can believe in!" lol

Looks realy nice :P

Can't wait to be able to use the site and the signature generator :)

I also realy hope I will bee able to help develope the site when you get the time to look at my pm ;)

Keep up the good work

Kind regards

Satis

If I could get ahold of a professional bug tracking and testcase product, would you guys find any use for it..

specifically I'm thinking of HP Quality Center.. I have a contact at HP and I could ask if they have an community developer program?