Channel moderation

General chat is dead most of the time. I never see anything said in the channel. Whenever I am online I normally do not even attempt to say anything in any channel of this E&B Emulator. I have my own Ventrilo server where all my friends meet and talk to each other.

Yesterday, after hours of channel silence in General chat, someone proclaims their love of E&B's music. Then another player agrees but says that SWTOR has better music, but that's still great because E&B is so old and it's still 2nd best. Then another player jokes about the sound on the old 2600 Atari.

Well, I love E&B, SWTOR, and the 2600 Atari. I also love music, game ambiance, and game design. On this rare occasion, I felt the conversation was interesting enough to contribute and I expressed my fond memories of the 2600. Several others started reminiscing about it and then the NES and the SNES. Another player says they are a Sega fan. So I mention one of the Sega Genesis games I used to play at a friends house and ask if he has heard of it.

Finally I'm chatting with the community and enjoying it. Then (I'm guessing) two members of this E&B Emu GM staff tell us to take the conversation to another channel and that we can only talk about E&B in the general channel. I tell them that I was unaware that General chat only means E&B topics only. I thought that General chat means General chat. Several others also express their unhappiness with this arbitrary ruling. One even says that they were displeased with how the channels are moderated so strictly.

The GM then says that we can dislike it all we want but those are the rules. I tell him that I am sorry, and that I am also sorry for joining a conversation in the General chat at all.

No one said anything in the channel for the next 2 hours and probably longer, but I logged out after that time.

The GM told me that if I had a complaint to make, make it on the forums.

So here I am. I'm here to complain I guess. I do not approve of how the GM handled the situation. He was very aggressive about it. I do not recall what he said word for word, but my first and last thought of him was that he was very arrogant. If he was enforcing a rule, then he could have done it with more tact. Also this makes me question the rule itself. Perhaps it should be removed.

For once I felt a connection with the community and there was some life in the channel, then the staff killed it. I no longer wish to talk in the chat if I have to constantly worry about disciplinary action or over moderation. I can understand if it were offensive language, but everyone seemed to be enjoying the conversation save for the staff members.

I thought MMO's were social games. Perhaps this Emu (As the rules stand now) do not fit the bill.
I suppose I will just stick to Ventrilo and guild chat from now on. Play it safe.

[quote name='Mimir' timestamp='1319309611' post='47575']
New Player channel or General channel?

LOL I was always told that General was for OOC and not the New Player channel. Me thinks the GM was confused. But maybe it's just me.
[/quote]

It was General. I turned off my New Players channel long ago, for the same reason. The Moderation. Now they are both off.

I have my guild and my personal friends on my voice chat, so I do not need the General channel or the any other channel. However, it seems that at least some of the staff are not comfortable with a thriving free community.

It was disappointing, but I do not wish to get banned or anything, so this is all I will say on the matter.

I will be moving this shortly, but technically they are correct. General is general game related stuff. Talk about other games and systems (and RL) belongs in OOC chat. Then again I can't tell you how many times I've seen market used as a general chat.

i agree that this rule needs lifting! nobody wants to to keep scanning thru channels to find a topic of conversation to join when they are in the heat of battle! let us chat where we want!! market and new player chat are the only channels with any life in them! maybe when the game goes live and there's 1000's of players that will change, but as of now its a rule for no reason!

[quote name='BrixunMortar' timestamp='1319367117' post='47594']
i agree that this rule needs lifting! nobody wants to to keep scanning thru channels to find a topic of conversation to join when they are in the heat of battle! let us chat where we want!! market and new player chat are the only channels with any life in them! maybe when the game goes live and there's 1000's of players that will change, but as of now its a rule for no reason!
[/quote]

We can try that, No more moderation of general chat then, If needed via submitted screenshots.
After review, and if needed, action will be taken without warnings to the players,since a warning is usually the first thing done with the moderation. you have a 6 point system for game violations, depending on the violation points are assigned to your account, after 6 you will no longer recieve ticket or in game help. if a ban is needed they start at 24 hours and go up from that point 24 hrs at a time up to permanent ban and/or ip ban if needed.

Players & Donators
1. There shall be no profanity in character names.
2. There shall be no excessive profanity in-game or in any system sponsored by Net 7
Entertainment, regardless of language or special characters used.
3. Bug Reports must follow format posted in Stress Testing > Bugs forum if you choose not to work
with a beta tester in-game.
4. You may not harass, threaten, or otherwise show belligerent behavior towards other players.
5. You may not use any sexually explicit, harmful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene,
hateful, racially or ethnically offensive language.
6. You may not argue with or neglect to follow instructions of Net-7 staff. The player names of Net-
7 staff begin with the word DEV, ADMIN or GM, and may be identified in that fashion.
7. You may not arrange for the exchange or transfer of any pirated or illegal software while on Net-
7 or the Emulator website.
8. You may not organize nor be a member of any Organizations, groups, or fellowships within Net-
7 that are based on, or espouse, any racist, sexist, anti-religious, anti-ethnic, anti-gay, or other
hate-mongering philosophy.
9. You may not give false information or intentionally hide any information when registering for
your Net-7 account.
10. You will not exploit any bug in Net-7, and you will not communicate the existence of any such
exploitable bug (bugs that grant the user unnatural or unintended benefits in-game), either
directly or through public posting, to any other user of Net-7. You will promptly report any such
bug to a senior game developer.
11. players may not engage in Kill Stealing
12. players may not "poach" or "ninja-loot".
13. You may not disrupt the normal playability of a region, territory, area, or location.
14. You may not defraud other players.
15. You may not operate an Organization that habitually violates these rules.
16. "Role-playing" does not grant license to violate these rules.
17. You may NOT log in multiple characters from the same account, if you discover a way to do this
you will volunteer to bring this information to a development lead to get it resolved as soon as
possible
18. Macro's are allowed as long as a member of staff can contact you in game within 5-10 minutes of first attempt, a 24 hour ban is then issued if you are afk macro'ing

New Player Chat = questions related to New Players Questions.

General Chat = Is still "Game Related" questions being asked, or conversation about this game.

Market Channel = Buy or Sell of items

Out Of Context = anything you want to chat about (without foul language)

This is in short of course, and if there is a problem with one of the staff members,feel free to refer to the TOS.

P.S. If you can't find the TOS, just read it before you click "I Agree" when starting the game.

• 2 weeks later...
[/quote]

Sorry i would have to disagree, as much as i love to see chat so i dont feel like im the only one online, I do think that if you end up with letting it slide you end up with one channel spammed with all sorts of rubbish.

New players wont be able to ask anything because it will be washed away in the wash of text. Same with any question game related.

Just me 2c worth
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Troops' timestamp='1320411204' post='47994']
Sorry i would have to disagree, as much as i love to see chat so i dont feel like im the only one online, I do think that if you end up with letting it slide you end up with one channel spammed with all sorts of rubbish.

New players wont be able to ask anything because it will be washed away in the wash of text. Same with any question game related.

Just me 2c worth
[/quote]

there is only human life found in the 2 main channels on a regular, daily, constant basis. Therefore many people use it for everything because the other channels have no one in them. In live people used guild chat the most above all but with so few guilds (that are populated anyway) and so many players not even in guilds it has lost it's usual #1 spot to talk.

I've seen a lot of the huge guilds but a massive % of all their players don't login anymore.

[/quote]

Precedents are good. Not changing, not up for negotiation.

Don't like it, tough. :rolleyes:

(Sorry)
  • Upvote 1

id have t agree that this rule is being overly enforced. i have yet to see any "new player" question go unanswered by atleast 2 people when something else is being talked about. it also is being selectively enforced as well. some get away with it, some dont. that goes for all the channels.

anyway i think a good solution to this would be implementing channel slash commands. the only one i know of is /new for "new player" channel. it would make sense for all the other channels to have that as well. its too much of a pain to tab through all these channels to get to the one you're "authorized" to talk in.

i understand whats "intended" be having this rule but its like communism...great in theory but horrible in practice. i don't think anyone can name a game or chatroom (old school) that has ever been able to strictly follow a rule like this.

pali