Excess Skill points

wolfxsf

Hi,

I have a concept about excess skill points. I do tons of mining on my JE. It is level 150, all skills maxxed and over 100 excess skill points. Here is a thought. How about a vendor that you can use those excess skillpoints to buy unique or high tech devices such as GOBB, FB, Controller, RD station, etc drops. It takes a ton of leveling to max all skills after you reach 150.

Make the vendor so you can only use it if you meet the requirements of A) level 150 and :D all skills are maxxed.

An example at the vendor would be to be able to "buy" a Smiter's Wrath for 20 skill points. This would require you to complete 20 more levels after all skills are maxxed.

An idea that would put a good use to extra skill points for players who keep leveling after reaching 150.

Just a suggestion and food for thought. Some way to make those excess SP useful. You couldn't trade them to other players or that could mess up the whole leveling table but a vendor that uses ONLY the excess points should be a feasible idea.

Thanks!!
WoLfXx
  • Upvote 1

I like this - a problem for all games is the end-game. With some pretty rewards for the maxed-out people it provides a route to obtain rare items. Some could be SP-only items as well. I don't agree with the maxing-out all skills - there are some skills ya just don't need eg hacking and beam on a TS. Just make it 150+ rollover points and give people the option to go for extra skills or the SP-items.

that's pretty impressive that you have maxed out your skill points and have over 100 extra but there are a few things you may be missing.

1) increased/buffed xp Gaines. The amount of xp gained, per action, mission, job, etc has been bumped up (and possibly reduced) over the course of the EMU development. This means that your extra skill points may be directly related to the xp increase and not actual game-play as it was during LIVE.

2) That cap cant be increased or skill levels increased in other areas. You mention vendor but there may be ways to increase level cap/skill cap that the Devs haven't invested any time in....yet. Currently they are focusing on getting the game to where it was in LIVE so this sort of additional functionality would be very low on the priority list.

• 3 weeks later...
i like the idea, I would actually make it for items that you can only get from excess (post 150) points. which would act like a way to gain level sort of (ie powerful items, not tradable /manufacturable, initially maybe raid power, but could increase?)? Certainly it would make continuing post 150 more fun. If at some stage they raise the level cap you are gonna get more points leveling anyway, so that should not be an issue, in fact it helps to negate people stock piling points so if they did raise level they could instantly max all skills.

could make them small quests (like combat jobs) kill that strange ship bring back parts then item made, or strange asteroid go mine it, or find these items and bring them back sort of thing, once completed get item but lose the skill points?

I am all for other ways of improving you char, raiding is one but other ways that don't need a raid size group would be good too.

[quote name='Hickory' timestamp='1320838512' post='48266']
I like the idea all of it. 150 plus all skills maxed. I add a bit to the idea.

Wrath 100% = 20 skill points.
Wrath 105% = 40
Wrath 110% = 80

Doubles for each 5%
[/quote]

Hmm 80 more levels? raiding would then be way more easier:) that said maybe 10 for 100% or 20 for 200%?. Actually just thought, could just continue the point use per skill, ie beams ,max at 9, to get weapon need 10, next 11, next 12, etc the weapons would then be as they would if you have 10 beams? that would work surely? maybe just 100% rather than 200%, so it would be as good as raid gear? don't have to add more than level 10 equivalents for the time being (reactor, shield, engine would be 30 points extra, weapons least 30 more to get 3 60 for 6, devices up to 60 but could be more as different uses there fore min 90 skill points but could be alot higher) , but could add more if ever higher raids types implemented.

I would say 50 more levels should give you a reasonable u/g to equipment. It all goes on time for me, how much time would it take to get if you where raiding? It should take slightly longer than that, but not more than double. Edited by Bovyne

[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1319230192' post='47556']
that's pretty impressive that you have maxed out your skill points and have over 100 extra but there are a few things you may be missing.

1) increased/buffed xp Gaines. The amount of xp gained, per action, mission, job, etc has been bumped up (and possibly reduced) over the course of the EMU development. This means that your extra skill points may be directly related to the xp increase and not actual game-play as it was during LIVE.

2) That cap cant be increased or skill levels increased in other areas. You mention vendor but there may be ways to increase level cap/skill cap that the Devs haven't invested any time in....yet. Currently they are focusing on getting the game to where it was in LIVE so this sort of additional functionality would be very low on the priority list.
[/quote]

I keep seeing the recurring comment "making it like live" and in many ways this is what I am seeing. But in contrast in many ways it is also NOTHING like live but more of what "seems right" at the time. And for example the recently added Quartermaster vendor in Venus. This was NOT in live. Thus leaves open again the idea to add a SP vendor. Just adding a new vendor under a new concept to increase the interest and fun for the players. Poprocks are another excellent example of going totally away from live. I have gotten up to 3 debuffs and 3 mobs from a single poprock when I have to click on it more than once trying to get ores. In live poprocks appeared like all other rocks and would yield unexpectedly a single poprock mob. They were not different colors and did not spawn mass mobs nor multi debuff the miner. Just saying. The usage of the terms "like live" have become old hat and no longer stand true. Instead, IMO it should grow with new ideas while at the same time bringing back what can be recovered from live.

Just some food for thought:)

• 2 weeks later...
It seems that there's a finite amount of advanced & basic mission tokens, that you get from your HU upgrade missions.

What if you could get more by trading in excess skill points? I don't like the idea of just handing out ubergear for skill points, (since you can get skill points anywhere) but exchanging skill points for tokens that start quests that will get you ubergear is very appealing to me.

Or heck, offer shortcuts through particularly-annoying quests if you spend skillpoints to get a 'shortcut token'. I hear a lot of grief regarding the Agrippa missions; perhaps tokens could be made available that allowed you to skip steps in it?

Just some thoughts; the idea of being able to skip content is unappealing to me, but making annoying or difficult content easier to stomach (at great cost) is something I can definitely get behind.

• 3 weeks later...
far as I know tokens are only in for Progen and that's due to the mission that was setup by the progen dev.

The quartermaster was added in part because players were complaining that they couldn't get items made.....and to see if the devs could do it.

Yes the devs are trying to make the game as close to live as possible.....but they are still a long ways off. Most of that is due to the fact that they have coded the entire server....all they have to work with is the client....so there are a ton of bugs and non-working items. The devs have stated that once they get the game to as close to 'live status' as possible then they may start looking at changing/adjusting other aspects of the game. However that is a loooong ways off.

If you see something that is not working, as it did in live, check the bug forums and if it is not listed create a post.