YAPRW - Yet Another Pop Rock Whine

If the pop rock mobs are keyed to pop at (or higher) than the miner that pulls the pop rock then they should be more than able to kill said mob.

I found in Glenn this morning (level 5-7 ore field)three level 51, and 52 mobs.

I can see no other reason for 3 in this area other than a minerwho either is having “fun” at other’s expense or is popping the rocks and not prepared to kill any resulting mob. Either way the spawner should be made to deal one way or the other with their spawnee.

Is there any possible way we can go back to the severe shield and or hull damage from pop rocks? Or how about the mobs only attack those that spawn them? Put the player's name on them like job mobs. Let them live past a server reboot, travel through gates and follow that player until they are handled. I.e. killed. Make them evolve until they are the level of an epic kill, taking a guild to kill. Pretty soon the joy poppers of pop rocks will be not so quick to pop more mobs than they can handle at one time.

To the players that say that "pulling pop rocks is fun", well have your friggin fun and kill [i][u][b][size="3"]your[/size][/b][/u][/i] mobs.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

-1 in the infamous WoW jargon..... "working as intended"

There was the same problem live and will be here..until there is a mob despawner timer figured out, there are going to be residual mobs left as new field "guardians". Those mobs were left by folks that A. wanted just the ores not the mobs and/or B. the field bonus. From a L5-7 ore field? Probably was a player geared for max mine, and not fight, and didnt want to waste time shooting from most effiecent 'roid draining. This and other peeves are going to persist like cherry pickers etc. It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid when dealing with other peeps.
  • Downvote 1

Would it be better if the mob was related to orefield level rather than the miners level? That way it would be par-for-the-course to find a L52 in a L9 field, or a L25 in a L5 field. By the way - I still find the ore-guardians hit and miss - good fields guarded by a weakling or nothing, and poor fields with L50's. And some now non-existent fields still guarded by mobs even though there is nothing there (or am I missing the hulks lol)

I'm yet to find much decent loot in these pop-monsters. There isn't much incentive to splurge missiles on a mob (or bother wasting cargo space on ammo). Just a few goodies please :) !

[quote name='Amethyst' timestamp='1318959720' post='47424']
Would it be better if the mob was related to orefield level rather than the miners level? That way it would be par-for-the-course to find a L52 in a L9 field, or a L25 in a L5 field. By the way - I still find the ore-guardians hit and miss - good fields guarded by a weakling or nothing, and poor fields with L50's. And some now non-existent fields still guarded by mobs even though there is nothing there (or am I missing the hulks lol)

I'm yet to find much decent loot in these pop-monsters. There isn't much incentive to splurge missiles on a mob (or bother wasting cargo space on ammo). Just a few goodies please :) !
[/quote]

This shouldn't be about the loot.

If the level of pop rock mob is tied to field level it is still a problem for the low level unsuspecting passer by, pass byer? anyway I really think that if someone has to go around and pop the pop rocks there should be some consequence for their action or inaction for leaving the mobs around.

the way the mobs are done for pop rocks has changed and consequently there should be more suitable loot in them. Also the variety that are produced has been significantly increased.

Not sure when we're doing the update, but it'll be next week sometime.
  • Upvote 1

I'd kind of like to see mobs that are not killed/do not kill their target apply a debuff to the miner that triggered it. Have the debuff use a very long duration, and every few minutes, has a chance to cause the mob to spawn right on top of the player (so long as they are not in warp), fully hostile to them specifically.

Debuff would be removed when the mob is killed by the miner or his/her group.

Then make the debuff stack, increasing the spawn chance, and number of mobs.

:)

[quote name='QX419-M' timestamp='1318982053' post='47447']
I'd kind of like to see mobs that are not killed/do not kill their target apply a debuff to the miner that triggered it. Have the debuff use a very long duration, and every few minutes, has a chance to cause the mob to spawn right on top of the player (so long as they are not in warp), fully hostile to them specifically.

Debuff would be removed when the mob is killed by the miner or his/her group.

Then make the debuff stack, increasing the spawn chance, and number of mobs.

:)
[/quote]

QX you are evil!

At the very least the poprock mobs should indeed 'evaporate' after an hour or so.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1318990483' post='47456']
I used the same system as that of job mobs: after 40 mins, if no-one's interacted with the mob (targetting, fighting etc) it will evaporate.
[/quote]

lol... and maybe before that time if the player decides to hide out and hole up in a Starbase, maybe the mob could briefly undo the block to the incoming damage and still do them in. :)

[quote name='poppa' timestamp='1318994698' post='47458']
I like the idea of tying them to the person who popped the rock just like a job mob,But with no despawn timer......will always be there waiting for that person to "come home".
[/quote]

Don't penalize players that don't play like you. The only time I ever killed pop mobs in live was if they were guarding ore I needed. If they weren't then I left them where they were. I simply avoid pop rocks now as there is zero reason to clear a field once you hit 150. Now if you tied a field clear bonus to the mob......maybe add an additional 10k CL xp when you clear the field and the mobs, tie the mob level to the ore field level (not the player level because again this penalizes lower level players quite a bit), and introduce level matching loots, then you would give players several reasons to clear these mobs. As it stands currently there is zero reason to kill pop mobs.

[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1319149450' post='47496']
Don't penalize players that don't play like you. The only time I ever killed pop mobs in live was if they were guarding ore I needed. If they weren't then I left them where they were. I simply avoid pop rocks now as there is zero reason to clear a field once you hit 150. Now if you tied a field clear bonus to the mob......maybe add an additional 10k CL xp when you clear the field and the mobs, tie the mob level to the ore field level (not the player level because again this penalizes lower level players quite a bit), and introduce level matching loots, then you would give players several reasons to clear these mobs. As it stands currently there is zero reason to kill pop mobs.
[/quote]

Not sure but I think you miss the point. I was not talking about field guards, I was talking about the mobs released from pop rocks.

pop mobs = mobs that are spawned from exploding roids (pop rocks). I was referencing the original poster who was complaining about people leaving several pop mobs in a field or your 'just leave them in the ore field forever waiting for the person that spawned them.'

Since the Devs have put a despawn timer on these mobs it doesn't matter as much but there is still zero reason to kill them.

[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1319151660' post='47505']
pop mobs = mobs that are spawned from exploding roids (pop rocks). I was referencing the original poster who was complaining about people leaving several pop mobs in a field or your 'just leave them in the ore field forever waiting for the person that spawned them.'

Since the Devs have put a despawn timer on these mobs it doesn't matter as much but there is still zero reason to kill them .
[/quote]

"still zero reason to kill them." This is the most ridiculous statement I have seen. It smacks of being a dick because you can.

so you are saying that a hostile level 52 in a level 5-7 ore field is not a problem? Only if anyone less that 50 CL is excluded from mining 5-7 ore fields. And that is just silly.

Ultimately...and like live..it should be ore lvl not player lvl that decides mobs CL. Also like live, there should be a despawner time. TB said he has it like job mob for a despawner. It also needs to be ore lvl dependant to stop griefing from high player creating indirect grief, if not, then even during that despawn time the lower lvl player is effectively shut out from those ores.

In Crichton's defense, he was saying that as is: other than the "not being a dick because you can" reason, there CURRENTLY is no reason for a high lvl player to spend time from mining to cap the mob. In fact, if they are "dick becuase you can" enough about it, it makes a wicked strategic sense to leave a pop mob there in a lower lvl ore field...he has created a ready made 'roid guardian to protect the ore respawn site from potential other miners taking "his/her" field.

If the pop mob was tied to 'roid lvl and desirious loot potential added, it would naturally cure both problems, A. if the higher lvl miner left a mob becuase they "couldn't be bothered" to be curtious enough to clean up their trash, that mob would be appropriate to that range, and lower lvl miner could clean for them. B. the loot potential for the lower lvl player would be appropriate to the risk they take, and they wouldn't be "shut out" from access to 'roids.

In game..as in life, there will always be the jerk factor, if someone CAN do something, even if its rude and annoying, they WILL do it (thats what jerks do after all). The trick is to make it NOT possible or MINIMIZE the annoyance they can cause because of thier "douche quotient".
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
For pop rocks is it intended that a L9 crystal pop rock both explode doing 80% shield damage and give a L50 mob at the same time? Took about 5K hull damage, and killed the mob, it also dropped level apropraite loot. Not sure if there should be both the big boom & the mob, but everything else seems good. (only attempted one pull from this crystal asteroid)

Saw a few pop hulks today, I did notice that after getting a debuff, the hulk remained where I could still attempt to mine it. Don't know if that's intended, but figured I'd let you guys know. Got a positive buff (reactor opt) from another so that seems to work fine, I think there was also a small boom with the + buff so that the re-mining could not be attempted. Good thing IMO.

[quote name='Rezwalker' timestamp='1323308269' post='49330']
you think that's bad? try 4 mobs, 3 de-buffs and then a pop, yup, ask my JE about it lol
[/quote]

Wow hadn't seen that happen before. Have had more than one debuff, but never both multiple debuffs & multiple mobs from the same pop-rock (hulk). Maybe when the effects other than the big boom occur, they should be accompanied with a small boom.

This is how they work currently:

10-15% chance of successful ore pull (decreases with ore level).

If this check fails:

50% chance of detonation, with a level appropriate explosion with a +/-20% variation.
50% chance of buff/debuff.
50% chance of mob spawn (now pulled from a dev configured table rather than patched).

All these factors are independant, so for example there's just over a 10% chance that you'll get all three events happening (assuming I can still calc statistics ok).

You might get just a detonation, just a buff/debuff or just a spawn, or indeed any combination of the 3. Keeps things interesting hey?

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1323333578' post='49339']
This is how they work currently:

10-15% chance of successful ore pull (decreases with ore level).

If this check fails:

50% chance of detonation, with a level appropriate explosion with a +/-20% variation.
50% chance of buff/debuff.
50% chance of mob spawn (now pulled from a dev configured table rather than patched).

All these factors are independant, so for example there's just over a 10% chance that you'll get all three events happening (assuming I can still calc statistics ok).

You might get just a detonation, just a buff/debuff or just a spawn, or indeed any combination of the 3. Keeps things interesting hey?
[/quote]
Sounds good to me. I just have one point of feedback, and that's on the chance of successful ore pull. It should go up with the explorers prospect level and down with the level of the ore. Not just down with the ore level. If that's the way it currently works, just ignore my comment...