Indicators on vendors

Athlios

Hello all.

I think that a nice idea would be to have some kind of indicators on component vendors. Something like a flag maybe? indicating the level of components each vendor selling.

Or we can just keep trying to check all vendors until we get the right one :)

Thanks.

Andreas.

Play enough and this won't be an issue :)

I agree, I know where to get all the parts from the major stations like Somerland, Earth, F7, Net-7, OMP and Joves Fury, between those few stations I listed you can get all of the vendor bought parts to build anything.

I agree, I know where to get all the parts from the major stations like Somerland, Earth, F7, Net-7, OMP and Joves Fury, between those few stations I listed you can get all of the vendor bought parts to build anything.

That's why I am posting this idea.

The problem is not a small station with just 1-2 components vendors.

The problem is when you have a station with 5-6 components vendors and you need to buy for example lvl4 comps but if you dont remember who of them is selling the lvl4 you have to talk to all of them first until you find the right one. There is no other indication about the lvl of components that each of them is selling. Some of them they do not tell you directly before you trade. They are only telling you a sentence of this type "your race is always welcome at my booth".

Yes, it would be nice, but...

There is no other indication about the lvl of components that each of them is selling.

Each vendor has a unique name and their position never changes. It only takes one visit to gather these two data points. My point is with experience you'll learn where they are and if not, well, at least you'll get really good at walking up to all the vendors. :lol:

You already mentioned that some of the vendors tell you the component level in the chat dialogue. I think that this is best solution all round, and the Cdev's probably have it in their to do lists to complete all the dialogues to this standard.

This standard also reduces server load as the component list does not have to be transmitted to your client.

It would be difficult or impossible to make client changes, which is what would be required to put flags up etc.

You could always JUST add a component indicator to the vendor name. Something to the tune "Jane Doe, I", "John Doe, IX", etc. This should be fairly easy to add to DB but might be problematic if any code references vendors by name instead of DB ID.

This depends on who's sectors you are hanging in. Most if not all my vendors tell you the equipment level that they carry in the initial dialog.

The problem with something like this is introducing new assets requires us to be able to unmix, edit, and remix the .mix files used without causing client crashes. This has proven absurdly difficult to date, but maybe eventually.

This depends on who's sectors you are hanging in. Most if not all my vendors tell you the equipment level that they carry in the initial dialog.

The problem with something like this is introducing new assets requires us to be able to unmix, edit, and remix the .mix files used without causing client crashes. This has proven absurdly difficult to date, but maybe eventually.

Putting the component level in the initial dialogue is probably the easiest fix, all around, at the moment. It is also probably not at the top of anyone’s list either, lol.

Brown banners with an Arabic or Roman numeral on it would be my end all suggestion, but Kyp has the inside info on how tough that is now. That puts it way down the road (and the list, too).

Rebirth said:

Each vendor has a unique name and their position never changes. It only takes one visit to gather these two data points. My point is with experience you'll learn where they are and if not, well, at least you'll get really good at walking up to all the vendors^_^k:

That is very true. There are, however, over 40 stations with 2 to 6 component vendors each. My memory just isn’t that good, and if you need to open up the inventory to see what you need, that is server load, for sure. Also (unlike in Live) it’s the person getting the stuff built, that is usually buying/bringing the components to the builder, so they (meaning me) don’t deal with them enough for the memory to stick.

And that is the reason why all the Component vendors of the 8 stations in Beta Hydri and Aragoth systems tell what they have in the opening dialogue. I felt the need to do that when I was editin:Dthem. :D

That does leave a few that may not, but it is work and effort that, right now, may be better spent els;)here. ;) I'm sure this is on someone:(ist ^_^

TooTall

Putting the component level in the initial dialogue is probably the easiest fix, all around, at the moment.

+1

It's so easy it should have already been done ;) Props to kyp for doing it on some of the vendors he's worked on.

Brown banners with an Arabic or Roman numeral on it would be my end all suggestion, but Kyp has the inside info on how tough that is now...

No offense intended, but no he doesn't. In fact pretty much no dev on the team right now has any idea of how to make new assets for the game like new textures, models, new ships, new characters, tattoos, etc. Most of them are not mod'ers, and they've never made anything new for EnB. I am a mod'er, and I have already made new assets for EnB, and put them in-game :) It's actually quite easy, depending on what you want to change. No un/re-mixing is necessary. The client can read individual files also.

Putting the component level in the initial dialogue is probably the easiest fix, all around, at the moment. It is also probably not at the top of anyone’s list either, lol.

Brown banners with an Arabic or Roman numeral on it would be my end all suggestion, but Kyp has the inside info on how tough that is now. That puts it way down the road (and the list, too).

That is very true. There are, however, over 40 stations with 2 to 6 component vendors each. My memory just isn’t that good, and if you need to open up the inventory to see what you need, that is server load, for sure. Also (unlike in Live) it’s the person getting the stuff built, that is usually buying/bringing the components to the builder, so they (meaning me) don’t deal with them enough for the memory to stick.

And that is the reason why all the Component vendors of the 8 stations in Beta Hydri and Aragoth systems tell what they have in the opening dialogue. I felt the need to do that when I was editin:Dthem. :D

That does leave a few that may not, but it is work and effort that, right now, may be better spent els;)here. ;) I'm sure this is on someone:)ist ^_^

TooTall

If its something I could do I dont mind doing it. Let me know, show me how and I'll get it done.

I printed a map, wrote all vendor numbers below the stations in order from left to right. i.e. 3-2-5

Saves me from opening trade windows a zillion times only to find out it was the 2nd one I skipped :)

Problem solved

• 1 month later...

I like the idea of having a roman numeral on the flag, that would be great and save time for players. Think new players here - yes, some players (Specifically builders) already know who sells what and have them memorized. Until recently I was more of a once and a while purchaser of parts, but now with my TT I'm dealing with these vendors more.

Understandably this would be low on the list, and as mentioned above, lower still due to difficulty editing the files.

On a similar note, I believe another user on the old forums generated new advertisements - perhaps those could be used/modified somehow on booths. Just an idea.

Still, at the least a mention of the component level in the dialogue would be an improvement. I've seen some that have this, but many that don't. As mentioned before, players wouldn't have to access the vendor inventory to check comp. level.

• Upvote 1

I like the idea of having a roman numeral on the flag, that would be great and save time for players. Think new players here - yes, some players (Specifically builders) already know who sells what and have them memorized. Until recently I was more of a once and a while purchaser of parts, but now with my TT I'm dealing with these vendors more.

Understandably this would be low on the list, and as mentioned above, lower still due to difficulty editing the files.

On a similar note, I believe another user on the old forums generated new advertisements - perhaps those could be used/modified somehow on booths. Just an idea.

Still, at the least a mention of the component level in the dialogue would be an improvement. I've seen some that have this, but many that don't. As mentioned before, players wouldn't have to access the vendor inventory to check comp. level.

That would be awesome, but if that can't be done - maybe add the roman numerals onto the end of their names.