New UI concept

Talari

[quote name='Talar' timestamp='1317129185' post='46737']
Tell me what you think.

[img]http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/gallery/69145/new_ui989Pop.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

It's very clean and minimalistic, which appeals to me. But as long as you are playing with this, extending the hotbars, making them scalable, and being able to stack two reduced-scale rows of them would be an interesting addition as well.

IF,you can make this a reality, I would have to say lave the chat in it's original position. With it ll crunched in the corner like you show, it would be nearly impossible to follow a fast paced conversation. The biggest suggestion I could make could be the group controls. Move them away from the spot the looting/prospecting box appears.

Lower corner chats will probably appeal to more people...most people want a clear ui so they can see the action happening on there screen an most screens like mine with high resolutions would love less clutter.

For announcements in the game with this ui, somehow maybe a [i]scrolling marquee [/i]could be used at the very top of the screen, that scrolls the announcement to the entire server it would cause people to look up.

[quote name='Talar' timestamp='1317448741' post='46907']
The chat is small because i reduced the size (my personal settings)
[/quote]

So it can still be of a bigger size then. That's cool I usually have my chat this size.

[IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/Terrell_072/ScreenShot60.jpg[/IMG]

As long as I can have my print about that size under the new UI, It works for me.

Modifying client files is, for the most part, a no-no. We've done a few small changes here and there, but in general we avoid anything more involved, as EA still owns everything (client files and geaphical assets), and could shoot us down over any changes to their software if they really felt like it.

Well since UI changes are completely optional wouldn't it be easy enough to upload any UI updates as a separate stand alone executable to a variety of unaffiliated file sharing websites and simply provide information on now to download it for people that want to?

It's not really as simple as that with EnB's handling of graphical assets and the UI, but yes, that could probably be done. Unfortunately, to make it actually function correctly, is a little involved, and time consuming (so far that I've seen while poking around in it myself).

As such, it's not likely to be something that will be addressed anytime in the near future, but again...not completely impossible.

QX is right - it's not impossible.

However - the reality is that it would be quicker, less frustrating and a better use of time & resources to write a new client than it would be to attempt to change the UI on the existing one.

Having said that - if anyone wants to attempt to do it, I won't stop you - if you need a good hacking tool OllyDBG is the one I've found that I like. I wouldn't know where to start on this one either.

If I were going to make any change in this area, it would be to see if we could get the client to support native wide screen resolutions without the graphic deformation we currently get with the X resolution stretched to fit (re watermelon shaped planets).

I suspect even that 'simple' mod would be a huge undertaking.