EnB Port Forwarding Questions

Hi there. =)

I've read several topics on port forwarding for EnB for people whose ports are blocked, or UDP is blocked, or both.

I couldn't really understand what to do and the tutorials I found online for it are a bit complicated.

I'm wondering: Could somebody please post in a clear way:

1) What ports should be opened

2) What protocols other than UDP should be open, if any

3) How to set up port forwarding with UDP and other necessary protocols (if any) to a, let's say, outside Linux Debian/Ubuntu server on a remote site that a person has access to?

4) If doing this will mess up your network on your client side every time you want to do something else? IE: I start setting this up and then the next day, I'm trying to surf the web normally and it's still using my SSH Tunnel, or how does that work exactly? =)

Any information would be very useful and thank you for any help in advance. =)

hi,

if you've got locked ports, the best thing you can do is switch on the 'lock ports' switch in the launcher. This *very slightly* increases your lag, probably not noticably so.

However it does mean that E&B will only use one port for the majority of comms.

With 'lock ports' active, the ports you need to forward are:

I'm not sure about port 443, although you *may* be able to get in with the 'local cert' option if you're not running anything that uses SSL or port 443. Note that local-cert is not recommended if you can get in without it, as you can only run one client per computer if you do use it. There are other disadvantages to local cert as well, like sometimes it will stop working if you start running a service that blocks it - sometimes without realising.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1316432856' post='46304']
hi,

if you've got locked ports, the best thing you can do is switch on the 'lock ports' switch in the launcher. This *very slightly* increases your lag, probably not noticably so.

However it does mean that E&B will only use one port for the majority of comms.

With 'lock ports' active, the ports you need to forward are:

I'm not sure about port 443, although you *may* be able to get in with the 'local cert' option if you're not running anything that uses SSL or port 443. Note that local-cert is not recommended if you can get in without it, as you can only run one client per computer if you do use it. There are other disadvantages to local cert as well, like sometimes it will stop working if you start running a service that blocks it - sometimes without realising.
[/quote]

Thank you! =) So I can have my IT guy open those for me, click on "Lock Port" on the launcher, and that should work? I included 443 in the list. Does he have to open UDP or something?

Ok, I had the IT guy open those ports up for me and it still doesn't work.

When I launch the launcher, it checks if sunrise.net-7.org is up and it says offline. Lock ports is checked, those ports are open (not sure about UDP...should I ask?). I can ping sunrise.net-7.org just fine and get a reply, but the launcher doesn't see it.

I'm not exactly sure what's wrong at this point.

It works great from home, I've been playing the last two nights in a row. But from work, there doesn't seem to be a way to reach it at all.

Any suggestions would be welcome. =)

[quote name='Savanna' timestamp='1316499768' post='46376']
Ok, I had the IT guy open those ports up for me and it still doesn't work.

When I launch the launcher, it checks if sunrise.net-7.org is up and it says offline. Lock ports is checked, those ports are open (not sure about UDP...should I ask?). I can ping sunrise.net-7.org just fine and get a reply, but the launcher doesn't see it.

I'm not exactly sure what's wrong at this point.

It works great from home, I've been playing the last two nights in a row. But from work, there doesn't seem to be a way to reach it at all.

Any suggestions would be welcome. =)
[/quote]

Not sure if this will help, but originally, E&B also used the following ports:
Port 21 - Patcher
Port 80 - Client
Port 443 - Account Login
Port 3805 - Worldserver Login
Ports 3000-4000 - Gameplay

However, with your "lock ports" option ticked, I would imagine these ports above are not used anyway.

Other ideas:
If you have "packet optimization" checked in the launcher window, UN-check it. Your ISP/network may not support the larger packets.
Perhaps you're behind a firewall (or firewalls) at work that are preventing your access?
Are you on a Win7 system? If so, are you installing/running the launcher as an administrator?

Good luck, hope you can get things resolved. :)

[quote name='Cygnus_7' timestamp='1316521649' post='46389']
Not sure if this will help, but originally, E&B also used the following ports:
Port 21 - Patcher
Port 80 - Client
Port 443 - Account Login
Port 3805 - Worldserver Login
Ports 3000-4000 - Gameplay

However, with your "lock ports" option ticked, I would imagine these ports above are not used anyway.

Other ideas:
If you have "packet optimization" checked in the launcher window, UN-check it. Your ISP/network may not support the larger packets.
Perhaps you're behind a firewall (or firewalls) at work that are preventing your access?
Are you on a Win7 system? If so, are you installing/running the launcher as an administrator?

Good luck, hope you can get things resolved. :)
[/quote]

Thanks =) Well, I've given up trying to connect from my work connection. Looks like UDP and tons of ports are closed. I tend to connect from work now with my 3G key, it's just very laggy. But that's ok…I don't tend to level or anything from work because I have too much to do. I just like to chat sometimes or maybe run around from time to time when I have a break here and there from doing work stuff. =)