Suggestion - Achievements / Spreading the word (or "Advertising")

Huron

Hey,

I think this will be a fun addition to the game and it might even get more ppl to come and see what the project is about.

How about an option you could turn on/off via your net-7 login, on the net-7 site for your account that enables/disables automatic tweets for your "achievements" in EnB to be posted to your own twitter feed.

And the achievements could be gaining a level for example. Start out simple, perhaps add more stuff to it later.

On the Net-7 site you could have a personal page for each character in game that will list their achievements. And in the tweets there could be a link to that personal page. Ofcourse with a nice banner for new ppl to check out the awesomeness of it.

This way everyone who is following you on twitter can get your updates and perhaps get interested in what it's all about.

Same could be done ofcourse for facebook instead of using twitter.

Just a tought, let me know what you think.

Huron. Edited by Huron
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Got to say personally....hate it.

Its to much like other games like WoW and LoTRO and Starcraft's little "achievement", fake medalions or ribbons "you dun did sumting wundrful" gimick to make people feel all warm and fuzzy about how impressive they are. Sort of a ribbonish E-Peen effect. Go down that road much, and next there will be little pets and sidekick drone buddies. Then customization so you can paint them pink w/ glitter and name them pikachoo.

While this is a spaceship game, and just that a *game*, most of the fan base are older mature adults, (that act like kids :)) that are fairly confident in their own skin, they dont need trinkety E-Peen gimmicks they can point at and say "see I'm good!...and I got this ribbon to PROVE IT!" A chest full of ribbons does not a good or decent person make, it just proves you spend time..chasing ribbons

As to the "tweetability", we are still in alpha, we aren't marketing it, we don't want 1 million subscribers. The server is set at 500 characters I believe, anymore than that and you won't get into a play sesson. Setting up a outside ribbon wall is just more E-peen sent to a offsite area so you can brag to friends about your inherant awsomeness....even if you are or aren't. Do we really need fake blue ribbons for everyone? If everyone gets first place...then the victory is actually a hollow one, don't want to hurt the little kiddies feelings by someone getting 3rd place instead of 1st...even though there are 18k "first" places.

Just my opinion of course. Hey..you asked :)
  • Upvote 3

In the live version wasn’t there a page you could go to see guild stats? Also as I remember it was not a registered user only page so if we get this back you could point people there via a link.

Mobs killed, ore mined, player level that sort of thing?

I didn’t go there often but it was interesting to see what our "very small" guild was doing against the big boy guilds.

I love Mattsacre's idea of pets and drone buddies. There are some very nice add-on we could dream up like ship cockpit customisations with beer-holders and seat cushions, hanger decor and of course badges, medals and ribbons for your outfit (changeable of course!). Just have a look at www.hellokittyonline.com if you want more ideas.

[quote name='Mattsacre' timestamp='1316345535' post='46248']
Got to say personally....hate it.

Its to much like other games like WoW and LoTRO and Starcraft's little "achievement", fake medalions or ribbons "you dun did sumting wundrful" gimick to make people feel all warm and fuzzy about how impressive they are. Sort of a ribbonish E-Peen effect. Go down that road much, and next there will be little pets and sidekick drone buddies. Then customization so you can paint them pink w/ glitter and name them pikachoo.

While this is a spaceship game, and just that a *game*, most of the fan base are older mature adults, (that act like kids :P) that are fairly confident in their own skin, they dont need trinkety E-Peen gimmicks they can point at and say "see I'm good!...and I got this ribbon to PROVE IT!" A chest full of ribbons does not a good or decent person make, it just proves you spend time..chasing ribbons

As to the "tweetability", we are still in alpha, we aren't marketing it, we don't want 1 million subscribers. The server is set at 500 characters I believe, anymore than that and you won't get into a play sesson. Setting up a outside ribbon wall is just more E-peen sent to a offsite area so you can brag to friends about your inherant awsomeness....even if you are or aren't. Do we really need fake blue ribbons for everyone? If everyone gets first place...then the victory is actually a hollow one, don't want to hurt the little kiddies feelings by someone getting 3rd place instead of 1st...even though there are 18k "first" places.

Just my opinion of course. Hey..you asked :P
[/quote]

Yup, I asked :)

Was just a tought I had after getting the impression that we needed to get more ppl to take an interest to the project. If that's not the case, then this is not something we need *at all*. So then I agree with you.

As for the epeen thing, well that's just a matter of perspective :) I've played EnB from launch till server shutdown and I enjoyed every minute off it. But I also played Wow from open Beta till now and I enjoyed that at least equally as much. And I liked the achievements a lot, not just to show off what I've done, cuz that's not my thing, but I like "completing" things. And the achievement list is just another todo list for me, that's just how I enjoy it. Kinda like having all skills maxed on a toon.

But that's just my own opinion :)
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='HiKaize' timestamp='1316348635' post='46252']
If it really matters to you at this stage, you've got a signature to stick that stuff into. Because we're the people that are really going to care about it. :)
[/quote]

That was not the point of my suggestion. For the record, I couldnt care less. I've got 3 toons, none of which are above lvl 25. I havent even looked a creating a signature, cuz I really dont care :P

But that's ok.

The suggestion was meant to be helpful, not to get something implemented that I could show off how good I am.
It was to draw attention to the project, but like I said, if that's not wanted at this stage, then no need to even bother :P
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Mimir' timestamp='1316351453' post='46255']
In the live version wasn’t there a page you could go to see guild stats? Also as I remember it was not a registered user only page so if we get this back you could point people there via a link.

Mobs killed, ore mined, player level that sort of thing?

I didn’t go there often but it was interesting to see what our "very small" guild was doing against the big boy guilds.
[/quote]

Yeah in live there was such a page. I used that in the Character planned I had created for my guild. I pulled out the information from the page to get a list of all the members in the guild. You could select the member (mostly used for your own toons) you'd want and then get a pre-filled in planner, so it would reflect your actual character in game to start with. But I think for at least the character part, you needed to be logged in. So could be 2 separate sections, I really dont remember.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Amethyst' timestamp='1316361395' post='46264']
I love Mattsacre's idea of pets and drone buddies. There are some very nice add-on we could dream up like ship cockpit customisations with beer-holders and seat cushions, hanger decor and of course badges, medals and ribbons for your outfit (changeable of course!). Just have a look at www.hellokittyonline.com if you want more ideas.
[/quote]

Your sarcasm is much appreciated :P
And btw, thanks to the one that gave me a -1 rep for trying to get involved. I'll make sure it wont happen again :P
  • Upvote 3

Since he DEV team depends on donations to fund this project. I seems to me that the more people we get coming in, the more likely we are to hit the needed marks each month!

Oh and Huron, here a +1 from me. I think we need more people trying to get involved.

[quote name='Riz' timestamp='1316465531' post='46342']
Since he DEV team depends on donations to fund this project. I seems to me that the more people we get coming in, the more likely we are to hit the needed marks each month!

Oh and Huron, here a +1 from me. I think we need more people trying to get involved.
[/quote]

/agree

Thanks Riz & Mimir.

My toughts exactly, which is why I started this post in the first place.

When I joined Imp's data team way back in the beginning I regularly donated money too, then RL kicked in and I was forced to quit the team and couldnt really help out on the donation side either.

So I think getting more ppl here to share the paycheck would be a good thing to do.

Oh and thanks for the +1's, now I dont feel so bad for trying to get involved :)
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1316499006' post='46374']
yeah having a way to switch it on/off sounds good. I wouldn't use it personally, but I think quite a few people would.

however, as always, it's one thing to think something up, altogether different to actually put it into action ...
[/quote]

Well I am kinda used to putting idea's like this into action since I'm a developer myself. But I have never done any C++ work. I did VB6 in the past and I do C# + VB.NET currently and Silverlight+ASPX on the .NET web side of it. I also have a background in PHP/Html/Javascript.

So I would be more than happy to help out if you can lay out some ground rules for me to work in.

That is, if you want/need the help ofcourse :)