Wiki For Quests/Items/Navs/Etc?

I haven't been able to find a solid resource with quest data, items, mob spawn locations (specific navs), etc. Think a wiki, or an Allakhazam.

Enbdatabase is a great start, Enbarsenal is also helpful.

What would really be helpful is a player-editable wiki where we can dump all of our knowledge into.

Some key things that would be helpful

1) Listing of quests, including class/job/level restrictions, all NPC details, loot/rewards, mob details etc.

2) Mob location by nav point. Self-explanatory. An interactive map with clickable navs that drill down to what spawns there would be cool.

3) Mob stats: level, hp, skills, weapon range, speed, drops, etc. Also include behaviour: Aggressive/Non, Linking (more relevant once AI gets finished).

4) Player skills, requirements, effects, etc.

5) Detailed item info explaining how to get certain things. Duct Tape is a good example, or the NOS device which is on the database, but no info on how to actually get it.

If this already exists, and I just don't know about it, please direct me. Forums with player knowledge are moderately helpful, whereas an integrates linking wiki would be 10x better. A lot of this info exists, but it's really fragmented and on multiple sites.

One of the possible reasons you can't find a Wiki is that this is a test. Anything may change at any time without warning. A wiki now could be outdated in less time than it took to create. Plus, I can already hear the screaming about how someone was "LIED TO" about even the smallest detail.

Why some people think a mistake or misunderstanding is a vindictive lie aimed at them personally, I don't know, but they seem to.

Second, what in this game keeps people playing if not the exploring and discovering things for themselves. It it really that bad to have to ask in the chat channels for help if you really get stuck. I think that helps develop the sense of community when the players help each other. Plus, I really don't want everyone to know where everything is with absolutely no effort on their part.

Again, why play this game to just go through the motions without giving it any thought or effort. This is not supposed to be a game where you "win" and then move on the the next new game. You are supposed to WANT to find out for yourself. If not, find another game.

IMHO

One of the possible reasons you can't find a Wiki is that this is a test. Anything may change at any time without warning. A wiki now could be outdated in less time than it took to create. Plus, I can already hear the screaming about how someone was "LIED TO" about even the smallest detail.

Why some people think a mistake or misunderstanding is a vindictive lie aimed at them personally, I don't know, but they seem to.

Second, what in this game keeps people playing if not the exploring and discovering things for themselves. It it really that bad to have to ask in the chat channels for help if you really get stuck. I think that helps develop the sense of community when the players help each other. Plus, I really don't want everyone to know where everything is with absolutely no effort on their part.

Again, why play this game to just go through the motions without giving it any thought or effort. This is not supposed to be a game where you "win" and then move on the the next new game. You are supposed to WANT to find out for yourself. If not, find another game.

IMHO

Reference materials are just that, reference materials. A collection of player knowledge stored in one spot. Enbdatabase is much more helpful than spamming market everytime you need something built, and don't know the parts. "I'll eventually find it if I keep free warping around this sector" isn't what I describe as enjoyable, considering 99% of space is empty. Most if not every request for an item build leads to "check enbdatabase".

Everyone plays games for different reasons, but saying reference materials ruin the game is a bit harsh. If travel was a fun, interactive activity rather than a timesink then I might agree that driving all over creation and get one shotted as a noob would be interesting ;)

If people want to get teary-eyed over false info on a wiki, that's the childish approach, or you could go through the effort of updating the page and help out by making data better.

The fact that they had to recreate this game from scratch is just further reason for why reference/documentation is a good thing.

At any rate, I'd prefer to not turn this into a debate about the ethics of reference materials, and would happy to get something started if it doesn't exist.

A wiki would be an excellent idea and it will evolve with the test content. Many MMO's have such things, or resource sites. Take www.ao-universe.com for example.

I've been meaning to do something with / learn how to / be arsed to sort some content for the domain earthandbeyond.net but I don't think this will happen anytime soon. So if you wanted to use that namespace for a wiki I'd be more than happy for it to used for such a thing.

Yeah you won’t find anything already in existence but only small snippets floating around here and there. A wiki could have held it all, but wiki sites were not yet popular when EnB was live. So what they have here is some of that snippet information and the rest being from memory or guess work, and thus you have EnB emu content. You see, all that stuff (npc dialog, spawn information etc) is stored server side, and EA never released the server, so anything here is in some form a recreation from scratch-nothing basically.

Now, they did have some stuff in the downloads section before the server crash, but that has not made it back in yet. And you can probably find like the Prima guide floating around either used or in digital form. At some point, I’m sure a new wiki will be started, probably as things get closer to the beta stage.

By Live, there'd better be a wiki, or I'll just gather up a team and make one myself.

I tried the last time I was on the team when I was trying to scrape together a writing team and organize the data for it. It failed because certain people were too short-sighted to see the benefit, and I wasn't able to be on constantly to do it all myself. Once I get back onboard I'll see about starting one up, if only for my own reference. *shrug*

There are better reference formats than wikis for such things as mob tables and locations, but for quests and other story-related stuff nothing beats it.

By Live, there'd better be a wiki, or I'll just gather up a team and make one myself.

I tried the last time I was on the team when I was trying to scrape together a writing team and organize the data for it. It failed because certain people were too short-sighted to see the benefit, and I wasn't able to be on constantly to do it all myself. Once I get back onboard I'll see about starting one up, if only for my own reference. *shrug*

There are better reference formats than wikis for such things as mob tables and locations, but for quests and other story-related stuff nothing beats it.

That's the one hang up I have. I don't see a need to recreate enbdatabase, there's tonnes of good stuff there, and the data entry of manually doing that would be horrid.

I think a good rule of thumb on whether or not to include a mob or ore spawn or other thing would be whether or not it's near an obvious nav point. If whatever is right by a normal nav point, then include it in public information. If not, gather up the information and share it with guildies as they need it. It can be very frustrating when a builder needs a specific ore and you have no clue where to find it.

On the flip side, handing everthing out would ruin the enjoyment of exploration and give folks less reason to interact with others... and interacting with our fellow players is what makes MMO's fun! Without fellow players, even a game as awesome as E&B could get boring after a while. True, it might take a few years of solo play, but eventually, we'd kick it to the curb without others to interact with.

There is one item that, personally, I'd love to see, but is a bit controversial: a complete galaxy map. My own navigational skills are horrendous, and my cartographic ones are even worse. While I don't mind not having maps for all the sectors, I WOULD like a galaxy map, so I have at least an idea of which direction to head.

If the full connections between everything are deemed too much of a spoiler, it would be nice if there were a list of all of the zones in a system (name only), as well as the names of all the hidden zones & systems. That way, you could use it as a check-off list instead of spending thousands of hours trying to find more hidden gates when you've found them all.

The spoiler aspect is not all that important really. Take this site, which contains everything from NPCs to the exact locations of quest objectives: http://dynmap.ruslotro.com/ I use it occasionally myself and it's very helpful. I've never found its spoilerness to bother my gameplay. *shrug* Most games have extremely complete resource sites somewhere or other...

What would be an appropriate tool/website to create something? Wikia has an entire gaming wing, and I believe it's free. This would be a new avenue for me as I've not been involved in any sort of web page creation since a geocities page when I was 12 :)

The earlier something like this gets rolling prior to additional content added, the better, as it just turns into maintenance vs being a huge task.

Although I don't want to recreate enbdatabase, having item info is crucial as it will have to link somehow for quests/mob info/etc.

You would not be recreating or competing with enbdatabase, the wiki would augment it. Here comes another example:

http://wiki.aodevs.com/wiki/Rare_Nanos

This is a wiki for Anarchy Online, and this particular section contains good info and links through to a database at auno.org.

The enbdatabase doesn't contain the kind of info that the wiki would; drop location, screenshots, tactics for kills, raid information, spawn times etc. As well as general stuff like guilds, in game commands, Howto's for configuration etc

Also you could never spoil the game by having too much information, reading the guides and articles is always optional!

You would not be recreating or competing with enbdatabase, the wiki would augment it. Here comes another example:

http://wiki.aodevs.com/wiki/Rare_Nanos

This is a wiki for Anarchy Online, and this particular section contains good info and links through to a database at auno.org.

The enbdatabase doesn't contain the kind of info that the wiki would; drop location, screenshots, tactics for kills, raid information, spawn times etc. As well as general stuff like guilds, in game commands, Howto's for configuration etc

Also you could never spoil the game by having too much information, reading the guides and articles is always optional!

Thanks for that example.

I made http://enb.wikia.com/ Short, easy to remember URL. Got a basic menu system setup, but as with most people on here, I also have a job and can't work on this much more than an hour or so per day. The more people making edits the better, and maybe in a couple months it ends up as complete as possible based on the current state. I'm not going for flashy/complicated, just simple, easy to use, and to the point. Also cautious about using any copyrighted images as that's a fast way to attract the wrong attention.

Floss, I strongly recommend that you take at least a few weeks setting up a structure before allowing the posting of any data. I've run a number of wikis and trust me, structure is the first thing you need--and the second is quality control, with content being a distant third. Don't let people just post things willy-nilly, even if they know the content. You will have a self-collapsing nightmare on your hands by the time you're done.

I'm at your disposal if you need assistance or advice with that, and I'll happily put together a nice E&B theme for the wiki when you want it (assuming you have access to the backend that is.)

Floss, I strongly recommend that you take at least a few weeks setting up a structure before allowing the posting of any data. I've run a number of wikis and trust me, structure is the first thing you need--and the second is quality control, with content being a distant third. Don't let people just post things willy-nilly, even if they know the content. You will have a self-collapsing nightmare on your hands by the time you're done.

I'm at your disposal if you need assistance or advice with that, and I'll happily put together a nice E&B theme for the wiki when you want it (assuming you have access to the backend that is.)

You are 100% right about this. I think a couple weeks are needed just to get templates/formatting established. Without that, it's just going to be a giant mess of onarginzed broken links.

Yes. Keep formatting simple. Use templates as much as possible--don't allow people to insert a mob datastring unless you have a {{Mob|Name=X|Drops=Y}} set up. For every datatype, list off for yourself first every data point it'll have so you know what you need to template for. (Templates also allow you easy linkbacks to the Enbdatabase site.)

This may seem strange, but avoid tables whenever possible even if they seem easier--they are a nightmare to fix later if you need to make changes. If you ever have to make one, stick it in a template and make it out of HTML not Wikicode--unlike most wikicodes, tables are NOT user-friendly. You can just as easily use a dash-separated line for many data types:

NPC: {{NPCAraid}} - {{LocationAntaresStation}} - {{FactionSharim}}

Summary

And then {{LocationAntaresStation}} would be:

/{{SystemAntares}}/{{SectorAntaresFrontier}}/Antares Station [12.32, -25.66]

System and Sector would have intrinsic links to the pages they refer to, but they would be formatted so they display neatly. (BS coords inserted since hell if I remember where Antares Station was. LOL)

Etc.