Where were you ten years ago on 9/11 2001?

Mimir

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]I was at a business meeting in Denmark. Hotel Legoland, Billund Denmark to be exact. I thought it was a joke when someone came in and said the US was under attack and the World Trade centers were down, as there was a replica of NYC. I thought someone fell into them.[/font][/size]

Long story short getting home to the US seemed doubtful at the time. We made it to London and were able to get on the very second flight allowed into the US from Europe. The takeoff time was strictly mandated so the doors to the plane were closed even with passengers trying to get on.

Scary times.

This day, the longest day I think I ever worked straight in my life - 39 hours before being dismissed. I was in the military at the time, going into work as we called it then, arriving just as the first plane had struck the first tower. Morning roll call did not take place yet as everyone began crowding around the big screen TV's in the break room in disbelief at what had just occurred.

By the time the 2nd plane had struck, we we're alerted to the new heightened security threat level and told no one leaves we are at war and under attack. At the time I was an aircraft crew chief for the largest plane in the world the C-5 Galaxy. 36 of these beasts assigned to our station, and 28 were onsite at the time. Immediately we raced to the flight line to secure all planes on the ground, by this time the Pentagon was struck and only military air was authorized in the skies. Securing planes in this manner means closing all access doors cargo/personnel entry ways. Normally a task for 3-5 people depending on the planes current configuration. We had 2 per plane, and some we could not apply power so it required manual hand pumping to close doors. This part I do not recall where time was as we spread across the line sealing all 28 planes. To await news of our next order as we expected to be deployed at any moments notice.

By now the attacks had ceased, and the towers had fallen. We were placed into recovery relief mode. All 28 planes were now authorized for immediate usage. That meant all we just got done sealing, had to be opened and guard placed at each plane. The planes were being loaded with relief support from local emergency responders (firetrucks, firefighters, EMT, etc), this was both military and civilian counterparts from the west coast gearing up to head to aid New York. I don't even remembering breaking to eat, and randomly had chances to stop and take in some water from the bottles and some fruit we would get delivered even then it was eat, chug and go, no time to think or stop.

When all the planes that were authorized to fly were geared up and set to launch, the next mission was to take any remaining aircraft we had that was non-mission capable due to some maintenance/grounding reason required, we had to immediately get to work and do whatever we could to get as many available and ready. I believe the count from that 28 were 8 actually non-flyable planes, we wound up cannibalizing as much as we could to get half added back to the active fleet immediately (we averaged a 60-70% mission capable status on a normal day, but this day those numbers would significantly increase). Knuckles busted, stomachs empty, but focus and determination was full swing.

Finally after 39 long grueling work hours (that mind you we sure weren't paid for any OT lol). Exhaustion set in and it was unsafe for us to continue working. Nevertheless, my position required me to take a board one of these aircraft and provide support forward as it headed to the east coast deliver its cargo and then go pickup more. I say the work day was 39hrs as that was the time on the ground, we had approximately a 6 hour flight which I recouped some sleep, had my first real food (flight meals on aircraft lol worse than civilian airlines lemme tell ya) and then passed out. Upon landing I had to ensure and inspect the airframe for immediate return flight (the inspection on a C5 after flight is generally an 8hr minimum inspection not accounting for any actual servicing/fixing)performed by at least 3+ people. I had 1 hour to turn it around by myself, the plane returned home (another 6 hours or so) and I was dismissed for the day to return in 12hours and to bring in deployment bags as it was a good chance I wasn't sticking around.

This is when the reality of it all hit me and forever my life was changed. As you can tell 10 years later I still remember this day very vividly, and I will never forget where I was, what I was doing and what had happened. For the next 6 years of military service I was reminded almost daily during every deployment, during every mission, why we were doing what we were doing. Even today as I am no longer in the military I still work with them and the government, and it always looms in the back of my mind the tragic day and the events that unfolded afterwards.

I was at work, running a heavy equipment repair shop for a contractor.

We first heard about it on the radio, then watched some of the news feeds on the bosses tv. Not long after that we saw all the commercial planes in a landing pattern one after another headed for the airport. I'm pretty sure our airport had never seen so much air traffic before, or since. The planes had all been diverted and instructed to land regardless of destination.

Bad times for sure.

I was in Sarasota Florida, same as President Bush. I remember the Sheriff's Deputies closing all the roads between Booker Elementary and the airport. Watching Air Force 1 rise into the sky i remember thinking "Oh my god, my little brother and his wife and kids are on a plane to New York right now"!
After a couple of hours of frantic calls and seemingly endless waiting, we heard that they were safe on the ground.
The apprehension and fear for our loved ones was a terrible experience but we got lucky compared to a lot of families.
God Bless America.

i was getting ready for my 0830 class and eating away my sandwiches when my brother (who usually went to work at 0430 everyday) stayed late and was watching the news and he was yelling at me what he was seeing. first i thought it was some sort of movie that he hadnt watched but then it all unfolded.

we saw everything on the news and were devastated completely. my mom came out yelling watching everything in her tv screen. she was visiting us after a gap of almost 1 year. i was doing my masters in windsor canada and my brother was working at GE plastics in detroit. we thought he could never cross the border again to even get to work. but his fiance was in detroit and called him. i remember faintly that there were rumours that the "Ren Cen" was the next target.

i left to attend my class and there the professor announced he was in no mood to teach that day. we were given permission to leave and we did. at the students centre there were some people who were sad, some who were in tears. all because we didnt know how it was going to affect everyone.

two days later a friend called and said we had lost a common friend working at one of the trade centres. i told my brother the news as he was pretty close with that fellar. he broke down.

everytime i watch that video i remember all these things and it gives me some sort of uneasiness. i hope the next generation doesnt have to watch any such acts of terror whatsoever.

tears
UmaXX

Honestly, I was asleep. I as working graveyard at the time. I got a phone call from my mother telling me to turn on the news, and did that just as the second tower fell.

Can we not post things like this on forums?
It's very upsetting to talk about things, w hich our government is lying to us about, and which is using as a premise to masqueraded around the world killing people and stepping on their way of life.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

[quote name='Talar' timestamp='1315946493' post='46069']
It's very upsetting to talk about things, w hich our government is lying to us about, and which is using as a premise to masqueraded around the world killing people and stepping on their way of life.
[/quote]

its where were you, not how do you feel about it.

[quote name='Talar' timestamp='1315946493' post='46069']
[/quote]

Hey! maybe you could post this in the "What pisses me off (this week) posts? You posted an interesting way of thinking about 9/11. Care to share?
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I disagree. It's not an "interesting way of thinking about 9/11", it's a sad, overused pile of conspiracy-theory drek.
I'm really sick of hearing people say "the gubmint done it". Given the sheer number of people needed to pull off what would have been the largest conspiracy in the history of the planet, and human nature being what it is, there is no way on this green Earth that the secret would have been kept.

He saw the title of the thread, he didn't have to click in if it was too upsetting.

...and by the way it's SUPPOSED to be upsetting to remember a tragedy like this one was. It shows we're still human. And that some of us won't forget.

<storms off muttering with well-worn soapbox under arm> Edited by ryprx

[quote name='ryprx' timestamp='1316214665' post='46185']
I disagree. It's not an "interesting way of thinking about 9/11", it's a sad, overused pile of conspiracy-theory drek.
I'm really sick of hearing people say "the gubmint done it". Given the sheer number of people needed to pull off what would have been the largest conspiracy in the history of the planet, and human nature being what it is, there is no way on this green Earth that the secret would have been kept.

He saw the title of the thread, he didn't have to click in if it was too upsetting.

...and by the way it's SUPPOSED to be upsetting to remember a tragedy like this one was. It shows we're still human. And that some of us won't forget.

<storms off muttering with well-worn soapbox under arm>
[/quote]

LOL you took the words out of my mouth, you were [b][u][size="4"]MUCH[/size][/u][/b] nicer than I wanted to respond. But then again it would be interesting to see what load of BS is supposed to be the [b][u][size="4"]"TRUTH"[/size][/u][/b] in his/her eyes.

:) I was at work completing my travel expensiveness. I had just flown in from Germany the day before. My boss came by and said a plane flew into the Towers, I was thinking a small plane. He came back a little while later and said there was a TV set up in the brake room and to get my ass in there. I got there just in time to see the second plane hit.

SHIT~!~! I flew on Sunday instead of Monday as scheduled...~!~!~! :blink:

[quote name='BrixunMortar' timestamp='1316225366' post='46193']
one for all to note! PUT IT IN OOC!!! this is not general chat! its place belongs in the nothing to do with game channel!!
[/quote]

Huh?

"[url="https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/forum/4-general-discussion/"][size="4"][color="#284b72"]General Discussion[/color][/size][/url]A place to discuss all sort of miscellany in the Earth & Beyond Emulator community."

This IS the OCC (or as close as there is to one). But there is no OCC but I would have used it if there were.

Besides, if the devs need to move/delete then that is up to them... yes?

And I am in the Earth & Beyond Emulator community.

Got this in an email.

Fear in California!
In the wake of Bin Laden's death, radical Muslims are planning to go on a rampage in Los Angeles, killing anyone who is a legal U.S. citizen.
Police fear the death toll could be as high as 23.
We will keep you posted on future developments.

Got this off a website, would love to forward it IN an email :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSA7kKNu2Y&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSA7kKNu2Y&feature=player_embedded[/url]

My wife and I had recently moved from one state to another, and it was my second day at my job here. I was hearing reports on the radio while driving to work that there was a fire in one of the towers, and "unconfirmed" reports that a plane had hit it. I arrived at work and turned the tv in the customer waiting area (always tuned to CNN Headline news) just in time to see the second plane hit live on tv. Living in Wichita, and having 2 airports, plus the Air Force base, we had aircraft coming in from every direction after the order for all aircraft to land ASAP went out. It sort of freaked me out at first when I started seeing contrails coming in from every direction, before hearing that they had told all flights to land.

We only had one customer come into the shop all day, and he was of middle-eastern decent. The store manager looked at him very coldly, and he left. I didn't agree with what the manager had done, but considering he was a Gulf War Vet (Army), as I am (Air Force), I sort of understood.

I was a bit nervous about possibly getting recalled to active duty since some career fields can be recalled for more years than others, and mine was considered a "critical" career field.