Ports, and E&B

Hi all:

I currently have a WinXP notebook computer running E&B through a wireless router.
The entire game runs flawlessly, except for one glitch: my client hangs/freezes at the loading screen about 50% of the time when docking or undocking my ship.

I've tried various combinations of "Lock Port", "Prototype Reorder", and "Packet Optimization".
None of the various combinations of those settings seems to affect the results at all.

I keep reading/hearing about how E&B uses UDP network protocol, and it also uses various ports between the 3000 and 4000 range to load various areas in the game.
I'm wondering if I need to "port forward" the various E&B ports in my wireless router - as I have a suspicion that my client hanging/freezing might be because the game client is suffering the occasional blocked port.

Now, i'm network stupid. Seriously, I barely know how to set up my own wireless router.
My first attempt to open my ports was this:
I created a rule in my wireless port forwarding configuration to forward the following ports via UDP:
(21, 80, 443, 3000-4000). I forwarded these to my computer's IP, which was 192.168.0.100.
Now, what happened is I lost all internet connectivity. Wonderful.
When I disabled the rule I created, everything went back to normal.
So, obviously I did something terribly wrong!

If anyone can troubleshoot what I did wrong in my port forwarding effort, or other possible solutions to my game hanging/freezing, I would be MOST appreciative!

Thanks in advance.