Wont work with Windows 7

So I finally figured out why I couldn't get E&B to work on my computer despite trying everything to fix it - it wont work with Windows 7 - at least not on my computer. I tried installing E&B on my friend's computer, running Windows Vista, and minus download time, it took me about 5 minutes to install the game and have it up and running. It was so easy.

So I tried what I read someone else did, I transferred all his files to my computer, ran Net7 again, and got the exact same error messages I've gotten every time - connecting to remote server and launching client (despite Net7 Server notifier saying the server is up and running). Under user controls, I turned all admin functions off. I set all executable files to admin control and set the compatibility settings to XP SP 2. Still no change.

Considering all the time I've spent on this, I really want to get the game running, but I dont see how anything else could be the problem.

If anyone else has Windows 7 and found the "trick" get it to run, I'd def like to know what it is. Thanks!

Attached are the various error messages I get when it Net7 first launches, when I click play, and when I click the yellow error triangle on the bottom left.

[quote name='Arzachel' timestamp='1315251159' post='45731']
So I finally figured out why I couldn't get E&B to work on computer despite trying everything to fix it - it wont work with Windows 7 - at least not on my computer. I tried installing E&B on my friend's computer, running Windows Vista, and minus download time, it took me about 5 minutes to install the game and have it up and running. It was so easy.

So I tried what I read someone else did, I transferred all his files to my computer, ran Net7 again, and got the exact same error messages I've gotten every time - connecting to remote server and launching client (despite Net7 Server notifier saying the server is up and running). Under user controls, I turned all admin functions off. I set all executable files to admin control and set the compatibility settings to XP SP 2. Still no change.

Considering all the time I've spent on this, I really want to get the game running, but I dont see how anything else could be the problem.

If anyone else has Windows 7 and found the "trick" get it to run, I'd def like to know what it is. Thanks!

Attached are the various error messages I get when it Net7 first launches, when I click play, and when I click the yellow error triangle on the bottom left.
[/quote]

the trick with windows 7 that you didnt use is actually installing it as admin, remove net-7 off the computer/ then right click the downloaded file and run that as admin so it installs with admin, then go through and change the shortcut to run as admin, and all .exe and .app files to run as admin.

[quote name='Blacklung' timestamp='1315251632' post='45733']
the trick with windows 7 that you didnt use is actually installing it as admin, remove net-7 off the computer/ then right click the downloaded file and run that as admin so it installs with admin, then go through and change the shortcut to run as admin, and all .exe and .app files to run as admin.
[/quote]

Unfortunately that didnt work either. I really dont think the problem has to do with any administrative functions considering that I have installed everything and ran everything as an administrator despite the fact that under user controls, I got rid of the need to do that anyway. This is what it says in the error log:

Just like the error messages say when I launch Net7, its a server problem.

LaunchNet7 - Exception
Version: 1.9.9.10
Time: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 01:09:17 GMT
Message: The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server.
System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The parameter is incorrect
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket..ctor(AddressFamily addressFamily, SocketType socketType, ProtocolType protocolType)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.GetConnection(PooledStream PooledStream, Object owner, Boolean async, IPAddress& address, Socket& abortSocket, Socket& abortSocket6, Int32 timeout)
at System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object owningObject, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback)
at System.Net.Connection.CompleteStartConnection(Boolean async, HttpWebRequest httpWebRequest)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at LaunchNet7.LauncherUtility.DownloadString(String url, Int32 timeoutInMilliseconds)
at LaunchNet7.Updateing.Updater.CheckForUpdates()

LaunchNet7 - Exception
Version: 1.9.9.10
Time: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 01:09:17 GMT
Message: The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server.
System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The parameter is incorrect
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket..ctor(AddressFamily addressFamily, SocketType socketType, ProtocolType protocolType)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.GetConnection(PooledStream PooledStream, Object owner, Boolean async, IPAddress& address, Socket& abortSocket, Socket& abortSocket6, Int32 timeout)
at System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object owningObject, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback)
at System.Net.Connection.CompleteStartConnection(Boolean async, HttpWebRequest httpWebRequest)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at LaunchNet7.LauncherUtility.DownloadString(String url, Int32 timeoutInMilliseconds)
at LaunchNet7.Updateing.Updater.CheckForUpdates()

Im running Windows 7 and have no problems. I just followed thestandard installation guidelines [url="https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/714-install-enb-from-scratch-instructions-rev-7222010/"]HERE[/url].
Sorry that's not very helpful but at least you know it will work on Win7 without any issues.
May be useful to note I did a fresh install of the OS and complete update prior to installing all the enb/net7 stuff.

also check for firewalls, based on the exception text you posted above, the launcher is unable to talk to patch.net-7.org (where our patch data comes from after we update) which would result in this hanging and/or crashing of the launcher because its not set to handle that (a super rare occurrence outside of blocked ports or no internet)

A friend of mine had this same problem on win7 x64.

The way we fixed it was by first going to the windows firewall and restoring the default settings.
We then added launchnet7.exe to the exception list as well as enb.exe and enbconfig.exe

After reboot, he was able to launch and update with no problem. May be worth looking at.

Note: We also set all those files to run as admin (for all users) in the compatibility settings dialog box. Edited by ryprx

• 2 weeks later...
I wish I could say I hadnt already tried the above advice but I've really tried everything I could find on the troubleshooting site and everything that everyone has suggested. I've tried the sunrise server even though someone else told me to use the play.net7 server. I have completely taken down my windows firewall and even took down my anti-virus firewall temporarily - thus I had absolutely no firewall running - and it did nothing. I have the client directed correctly, have fun everything in admin mode, and every .exe program has been set to admin and SP2 compatibility.

The only other things that could be an issue is the Windows SP1 - someone mentioned uninstalling it completely. The other one - which has all sorts of check boxes that could be misconfigured is the "Windows Features" settings in the control panel. It lists a bunch of boxes that mentions servers, http settings, and a whole lot of other things that relate to internet connectivity and I have no idea which are supposed to be checked and which arent. I'm guessing since no one else has mentioned it as a problem that the default should be the correct settings.

Maybe someone could find something by connecting remotely, but I've honestly tried every bit of advice I've been given.

Hey bro sorry I know I said I would take alook for you but got tied up elsewhere and didnt have time I am available right now if you wanna knock it out I'll be on Teamspeak if you wanna connect and chat, I'll try to remote over and see what I can figure out for ya. Gotta be something silly missing is all.