New Pop Rock whine

Mimir

[quote name='Mattsacre' timestamp='1340015642' post='59140']
The old poproids most often weren't obvious, you had to stop and look, if you knew what you were searching for, you could see the difference. It wasn't the color or something obvious like blue/black radiant smoke. It was texture. The rock was the same color and shape as all the others, however the poprock had a slightly different skin pattern.

I can't remember ever being 1 shot killed by a poprock live, I always had to push the edge to get killed. My JE, a couple of times got slightly into hull one shot (but note, I was mining right at the edge of skill in those instances), my PS NEVER got into hull 1 shot, it took me chancing a second rock without pausing for shield recharge. Never did I get killed if I paused long enough for my shields to return, both on my JE/PS, even when mining over level.

So I guess my point is, that if it is tweeked correctly, it will be like live, you should never get 1 shoted, but if you are dumb enough not to pause for shields to refill, who is to blame really?
[/quote]

I got killed repeatedly in my first L50 asteroid clear mission, with a good L4 shield. I *think* that this is somewhat related to the combat job bug where any level mission gets the mobs for highest level missions available at the term. I tried L50 only terms and did not have that happen again - matter of fact, I got no poprocks at all on those missions.

So the implementation seems shaky. Nevertheless, I would much prefer some challenge to mining that made me use my character's skills to overcome it, rather than being told that [b]asteroid[/b] fields are now [b]minefields[/b] and it's my fault if I don't see one coming. It's just a terrible idea and we can totally do better with the tools at hand.

• 2 weeks later...
I will let these pics speak for themselves.

First pic - L6 asteroid, L6 contents, L6 prospect skill, L6 Sculptor device, L6 shield (6k strength). Nothing visibly different about the roid that I can see.

Second pic - 11,054 exp debt.

To paraphrase a quote from a show: "When does this get fun?".

I looooove poprocks. It actually makes mining a challenge/skill based. "What, skill based?" Although poprocks used to be stupidly obvious, just from looking at them, they appear to blend in a bit more nowadays (not always mind you). So a miner really has to check the rock they are mining, check the color/texture, and see if the ore inside corresponds to said texture. Mining in EnB is not a boring sport, it requires players to actually think about what they are doing.....well unless yer a PS (nerf those 190k shields) On all of the poprocks I run into one, if not more, of these checks cause me to to think, "this roid is gonna pop, can I withstand it?" Now here is the next skill check......can you survive this rock blowing up? If you are mining way above your level then you may want to avoid that rock.....or take a chance of getting 'blowed up' all over the roid field yer in.

Now if there is zero distinguishing texture or ore in a poprock then I think we have what I like to classify as A BUG! The EMU devs are not about randomly killing players with no warning. So if you run into this happening, write up a bug. As we are entering Beta its all about balance. Does the game provide enough info to the player, is the damage output properly corresponding to the risk the player is taking.

NOTE: If I am not paying attention my 150 JE can get her ass kicked by pop rocks......just like if I was doing combat. I have no clue about poprocks in jobs....as I avoid jobs like they are.....well......jobs. Edited by Crichton

I don't recall a poprock looking any different from any other rock in live. I know they used to scare the bejeezus outta me late at night. Could be mistaken though...I am an old guy. :lol:

[quote name='Gordo' timestamp='1341428629' post='60129']
I don't recall a poprock looking any different from any other rock in live. I know they used to scare the bejeezus outta me late at night. Could be mistaken though...I am an old guy. :lol:
[/quote]

They did have a slightly different color in live too. Sometimes very dramatic, but usually somewhat subtle.