Economy balance p-wipe

When is the economy going to get balanced?

Inevitably it will be associated with a p-wipe to see if it actually works.

I ask because builders do not even charge you for services.

And when I used L6 equipment I could already buy my L9 gear in advance.

So a major feature of this game is still missing....
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

I'd agree that the economy is meaningless for those with lots of money - you can buy most things you want. But there is not enough to buy. In other games there are more and more expensive ships (which get destroyed) and a load of special rare items and upgrades. Here, there is no real money sink apart from buying items to roast in the analyser. Even ammo is cheap if you have access to a miner.

In this game its easy - for some - to build a cash pile. Once you have 500m you dont need any more money and you might as well give your builds away free. I happen to like the way you can ask for a build and just provide parts and offer to pay build cost or tip well. I remember a certain amount of price gouging in Live for the rare builds. I had an early golden tooth and after 2 weeks never needed another dime.

Just like the real economy, the people who feel there is a real economy are the poor but fortunately in EnB there are plenty of ways to rectify that with a bit of work.

The real currency in this game is access to turbo items, energy conservation, accuracy mods, etc, etc.

It seems to me that as long as it is known and expected that all money can be wiped at any time, there will be no incentive for anyone to sell anything. Circumstances are almost guaranteed to be different on live.

However, it is true that there is very little trade for anything but the most rare items. This isn't like EVE, where ships and resources can be destroyed, but ammo is an expendable resource, and players do need equipment as they go up in levels. Right now that is being offered for free since it isn't worth asking for money that will just be wiped anyway, but on live players will either have to meet the asking price of builders or sink money into the vendors. You might hit the rare builder who is willing to cut a deal for a new player, but then you might not.

Note also that I see a lot of requests on the Market for a build of an item where the buyer has another item to rip for a component that isn't available from the vendors. That is a money sink as well.

What stands out for me is in early ST3 when one of the devs thought it would be funny to unleash a few lvl 66 in the starting areas. After many were slaughtered mercilessly, equipment damaged beyond use, and many got a feeling of just how fast you could be killed in this game.

Magoo stepped up to the plate and offered to build (for free) any and ALL equipment that was damaged in this grand experiment.

I’m pretty sure even when the game goes live there will be this type of generosity from the”haves” to the “have not’s”. If not from all the current altruistic player base but I would think that Magoo can be counted on for player support.

[size="1"]Psst Magoo…how was that? Do I get my Black Spitter now? /jk[/size]

Just saying

Ah yes, that was Marco. You're talking about that sudden gate that appeared in Saturn and took you off to the planet eaters in one of our test sectors with no way back but tow, right?

<.<

That'll never happen again. In regards to economy, it'll happen when we're done with what we're on now I'm sure, and we could certainly wipe money without wiping p-data. If we wanted a strict economy wipe we could simply erase credits and recipe lists. There's lots of things we could do, but right now that's a lower priority because the things we're working on are preventing us from moving forward right now. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Mimir' timestamp='1314895052' post='45502']
What stands out for me is in early ST3 when one of the devs thought it would be funny to unleash a few lvl 66 in the starting areas. After many were slaughtered mercilessly, equipment damaged beyond use, and many got a feeling of just how fast you could be killed in this game.[/quote]

This points out a problem with player deaths in MMOs, and that is that you cannot let player death effect a player so severely that continued play becomes impossible. For instance, if you just cut a character's stats in half with each death, eventually you would hit a point where it would become impossible to recover. E&B actually started with a good system, which is that death doesn't actually make you LOSE ground, but makes ground HARDER to cover until your debt from the death is paid off. But it never gets any harder than that, it just extends the amount of time you have to work to pay off the debt, and you can always pay it off by logging out anyhow.

[quote]I’m pretty sure even when the game goes live there will be this type of generosity from the”haves” to the “have not’s”. If not from all the current altruistic player base but I would think that Magoo can be counted on for player support.[/quote]

There will always be good players that are willing to help. The only issue, really, is finding them online when you are online. It's sort of random who you get at any time, although you can probably say most people follow some sort of schedule.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1314914808' post='45530']
Ah yes, that was Marco. You're talking about that sudden gate that appeared in Saturn and took you off to the planet eaters in one of our test sectors with no way back but tow, right?

<.<

That'll never happen again. In regards to economy, it'll happen when we're done with what we're on now I'm sure, and we could certainly wipe money without wiping p-data. If we wanted a strict economy wipe we could simply erase credits and recipe lists. There's lots of things we could do, but right now that's a lower priority because the things we're working on are preventing us from moving forward right now. :D
[/quote]

could u imagine the progen chaos?? no money from ammo to fight!? there's no way u could do that without major uproar! only ppl able to fight are the whining jenpies!!! things are being fixed so when they are n changes really happen (alpha) i think the crying should stop! enjoy a missing blast from ur past n be patient ppl!

[quote name='BrixunMortar' timestamp='1315003805' post='45602']
could u imagine the progen chaos?? no money from ammo to fight!? there's no way u could do that without major uproar! only ppl able to fight are the whining jenpies!!! things are being fixed so when they are n changes really happen (alpha) i think the crying should stop! enjoy a missing blast from ur past n be patient ppl!
[/quote]

LOL there was no whining, just a fact. A level 66 can kill a level 20 character so fast you don't even have time to see it fire at you. In fact I was dead so fast that I don't think it even shot at me....just gave me a dirty look. And besides the dp which IS nothing, there was considerable equipment damage and a lower level with no or low funds replacing this is hard to do on ones own.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1314914808' post='45530']we could certainly wipe money without wiping p-data. If we wanted a strict economy wipe we could simply erase credits and recipe lists.[/quote]
How would that work?

Before an impending money-only p-wipe players could turn their money into items and still maintain a large portion of their wealth afterwards. Even if the sell-value of the items is reduced they will not be set back too much and the test will be influenced.

So you probably would need to wipe items as well...

[quote name='Mimir' timestamp='1315005526' post='45606']
LOL there was no whining, just a fact. A level 66 can kill a level 20 character so fast you don't even have time to see it fire at you. In fact I was dead so fast that I don't think it even shot at me....just gave me a dirty look. And besides the dp which IS nothing, there was considerable equipment damage and a lower level with no or low funds replacing this is hard to do on ones own.
[/quote]

i was refering to the comment of just wiping the money from players accounts and not the whole account!
cl66 mobs in starting area just made me lol!

[quote name='Tyran' timestamp='1315052995' post='45612']
How would that work?

Before an impending money-only p-wipe players could turn their money into items and still maintain a large portion of their wealth afterwards. Even if the sell-value of the items is reduced they will not be set back too much and the test will be influenced.

So you probably would need to wipe items as well...
[/quote]

and then we'd have loads of level 150 characters with no equipment and no money! surely a total wipe is the best way to go when we get to that stage!

[quote name='BrixunMortar' timestamp='1315058047' post='45613']
i was refering to the comment of just wiping the money from players accounts and not the whole account!
[/quote]

LOL it's funny now but then it wasn't so funny :) I came out a station and was insta vaporized. In chat someone said "it's a 3d game you could just avoid them" To this day I still have not figured a way to see what is outside a station before I exit.

Is there a window washer skill in game? How many SP does that take?

[quote name='Mimir' timestamp='1315060177' post='45618']
LOL it's funny now but then it wasn't so funny :) I came out a station and was insta vaporized. In chat someone said "it's a 3d game you could just avoid them" To this day I still have not figured a way to see what is outside a station before I exit.

Is there a window washer skill in game? How many SP does that take?
[/quote]

oooh! maybe thats this missing PP skill lol!

[quote name='BrixunMortar' timestamp='1315058047' post='45613']
[/quote]

Don't worry buddy, until you got cash for ammo I'd lend you a few of my wimpy Jenpie beams.

[quote name='Vitaes' timestamp='1315140044' post='45645']
Don't worry buddy, until you got cash for ammo I'd lend you a few of my wimpy Jenpie beams.
[/quote]

Blasphemer!! Where's my pitchfork?!? [img]https://forum.enb-emulator.com/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif[/img]

[quote name='Tyran' timestamp='1314869904' post='45472']
When is the economy going to get balanced?

Inevitably it will be associated with a p-wipe to see if it actually works.

I ask because builders do not even charge you for services.

And when I used L6 equipment I could already buy my L9 gear in advance.

So a major feature of this game is still missing....
[/quote]

There are several factors at work here. This is still Pre-Alpha so we all know there will be wipes coming before we are ready for live. So charging big prices for equipment that will go poof is just greedy.

Lack of active players. It's all about supply and demand. With so much multi-boxing now, the actual player count is down to dozens not thousands, so there is very little demand. Obsolete equipment is usually given away.

Many players roll different toons to build for themselves. Guilds still build for members and there are a few kind builders that build for free w/supplied comps. BTW try that in RL if you want a good laugh. Gather up all the parts for a new Mustang, cart them over to Ford and see if they will build it for you for free.

Currently the customer is hunting down and paying vendors or other players for those comps/ores so costs to builders is button push for the most part. Not the ideal model for profit margin where parts are supplied and costs marked up by builders.

I applaud the builders that do build for free since they do it for the love of the game. Do remember to offer a tip and say thank you. Sadly there are players that don't :)

I agree with you cpwings.

Also the lack of active players IMO is likely due to the planned p-wipes. Probably quite a few emu players have stopped because of that. They may be waiting for the final wipe.

But since that is years away by the current path prepare to get lonelier yet...

Unless ofcourse a different perhaps level 50 restricted wipe-free server is launched :facewhenclimaxing: