LaunchNet7 - Error

When I press the "play" button on Launch Net7 I get this error message. Can someone please help me figure out how to get the emulator up and running again?

Error launching client.
Details: Could not launch Net7Proxy.
Working Directory: C\NET7\bin
FileName: C\NET7\bin\Net7Proxy.exe
Arguments: /ADDRESS:87.106.131.253 /CLIENT:"C:\PROGRA~1\EAGAME~1\EARTH&~1\release\client.exe" /LC /SSL:443 /POPT /EXREORDER
Details: %1 is not a valid Win32 application

My PC is a Win32 version, but that didn't stop the client from working before. I believe it was from a Net7 update. I'm wondering if there is a way to run it somehow? I see that some people can run the emulator on Linux so.. Your help is much appreciated. <_<

• 4 years later...

I got all nostalgic and booted up an old Windows 2000 pc i used to play E&B on in live.   It runs the EnB client fine (up until it tries to talk to EA servers).   If I try to start it through net7 launcher it throws this same error.  

I note that if I try to run c:\net7\bin\Net7Proxy.exe directly it also gives the 'not a valid Win32' application error, so something is wrong with that executable.

I'm guessing that the more recently compiled Net7Proxy.exe binary is not compatible with such an ancient version of windows -- can anyone confirm whether or not they can get emulator working on an OS this old?

Net7Proxy.exe has not been updated, nor recompiled in quite some time. It is doubtful that much of our current executables would be compatible with Win2k, they were designed initially in XP and have come up from there. Those are wholly different models than Win 2000.

Now, you can't run the proxy.exe without proper arguments from the game system, so if you're just trying to launch it, you *should* expect a message like that.

For OP, it may help to show the configuration of your Launcher in a screenshot BEFORE you click play. This sounds as if something is pointing to the wrong place to me.

Eh I wiped the win2k box and am setting it up with XP.      For what its worth, if I run net7proxy.exe without arguments directly on windows 7 it just kicks out a 'server failed login attempt' error.   I really think its a binary compatibility problem.   I did reinstall EnB twice on that Win2k installation, once making sure all the paths fit within the 8.3 character DOS naming restrictions.  The paths in the startup window all looked OK.

-Z

Yep, what Riia said. Win2k I don't believe supported *any* version of .NET but I'd have to check their charts. (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb822049.aspx)

I know for sure that .NET was released AFTER XP released, at least for the first full release version. Windows 98-Win XP Home supported most of the .NET Framework (including ME). If you actually had 'Windows 2000' , i.e. the server operating system, or XP Pro then it would have supported it all.

You are right that the original message is the binary, or rather the CLR which is behind .NET which either wasn't installed in your case or some underlying component like MDAC wasn't installed.

To borrow from the Riia's culture:

"Computers, eh?"