Want to get back into EnB so bad but jus't cant...

Yargnit

I played EnB from live to Sunset, and have been following (and tried on several occasions) the emulator for many years now. I finally decided to get fully back into the game a couple weeks ago, but I just can't stick to it. I want so bad to love this game, the game I remember sneaking onto the computer during the middle of the night to play during high school, but I just can't keep myself into it.

Why? Compared to other MMO's out leveling is an insane grind. I realize this is how it was in live, and that the goal of the emulator thus far has been to mimic live, but there's been nearly 10 years of MMO development since then that's basically being ignored. Current MMO's launch with a level cap of 50, yet their levels aren't much harder to gain that levels here are. I played Rift at launch, and I was able to hit level cap with 5 days of solid 16-20 hours a day grinding. And grinding that didn't have me doing the exact same thing for the entire 5 days at that. In EnB, not only is the grind much longer, but it's all the same thing. Either you grind mobs, or you grind jobs, or you grind trade routes, or mining fields... Other games It's a continuous quest line from level 1 to level cap, it's always a new quest.

I realize because this is an emulator, expecting enough quests to be developed to fill the leveling curve is unreasonable. But why not reduce the leveling curve? There's no reason to keep the leveling curve so harsh. You're not trying to keep people subscribed month to month, so give them the option to get what they want. Put in ways for people who want nothing more than to be 150 so they can get back to doing what they were in endgame live to be able to do so. It shouldn't take weeks and weeks of me grinding out spillover XP on the Glenn gas fields (because I can't do combat jobs due to their XP scaling being broken), and literally sitting at the keyboard crying because of how bored I am, and how bad I just want to get back to hunting endgame mobs, to get there.

Condense the XP curve, or at least give the option of starting a character with a condensed curve to people who just want to be max level again. I've never played an MMO since EnB that makes it this hard to reach level cap... that concept is outdated, and the emulator needs to recognize that. A curve that puts the current cap at the equivalent XP it takes to reach 30/30/30 would be about right. Not only would it reduce the grind, but it would fix several other problems. (Jenquai practically having to grind out EL25 for Combat Cloak before combat is any fun what-so-ever being a HUGE one)

I don't want to stop playing, and i don't want to sit here at the keyboard crying while endlessly mining rollover XP either, please help!

Spill over? heh... There are several ways to "grind" as you put it like any MMO current/past/present or future. The leveling is meant to be a grind.

In the EMU it can take you 2-5days to reach 150 if you know what your doing... But whats the rush. Go explore, dont job, kill mobs all over the galaxy, find loot, discover new drops etc, mine hulks, look for raids... Get the direction this is going? Plenty to do especially when leveling imo. Yes missions may not be around every corner but its pre Alpha and your comparing to Live published games. Give it time I guess I dunno...

Play a progen do the Agrippa stuff that will take a good portion of your time :) Do all 3 classes at the same time of it you wont need any intervention from other players just an intervention for sanity :) But hey its missions and rather interesting approach at that.

[quote name='Redd' timestamp='1314436540' post='45287']
Spill over? heh... There are several ways to "grind" as you put it like any MMO current/past/present or future. The leveling is meant to be a grind.

In the EMU it can take you 2-5days to reach 150 if you know what your doing... But whats the rush. Go explore, dont job, kill mobs all over the galaxy, find loot, discover new drops etc, mine hulks, look for raids... Get the direction this is going? Plenty to do especially when leveling imo. Yes missions may not be around every corner but its pre Alpha and your comparing to Live published games. Give it time I guess I dunno...

Play a progen do the Agrippa stuff that will take a good portion of your time :) Do all 3 classes at the same time of it you wont need any intervention from other players just an intervention for sanity :) But hey its missions and rather interesting approach at that.
[/quote]

What are these tricks to hit 150 in 2-5 days? (Without already having access to a 150 toon)

I know it's early, that's why I don't mind not having enough missions, I just think the XP curve should be shortened. If you can tell me the way to hit 150 in that timespan though, then I'd be perfectly content. As long as there is a way to level fast for those that want to (I'm firmly in the "the game begins at level cap" group), I have no issue with it being slower for those who don't feel that way.

All I want is options.

The point Red was trying to make is that the fun and enjoyment is in the journey and not the destination. There is content for all levels, things to do and see that are only interesting or possible at lower levels. Don't fall for the race to 150- enjoy the process and see all there is to see along the way. Then you will find it an enjoyable story and not a grind.

El

No reason to grind spillover xp for CL levels as a JE when you can use shield leech/fold space to wipe out bio mobs. The last few are tough (maybe damn near impossible solo) but JE's played right have skills that allow them to do well enough in solo combat. As a two-man team with a lower level PS recharging my shield, I went from CL 22 to CL 34 in a few hours of gaming just using those skills. At higher levels you can tank a few mobs and show then the way of the JE killing machine, hehe. Yes, it does work. I do it.

If there is any complaint to leveling, it's grinding out explore xp. Missions (quests, if you like) that offer a REAL xp award for completion would be nice. More missions to obtain unmanufactuable items would also be nice. I understand this would not be easy, given that no one really gets paid to do this. So far, I think the devs working the game have done a pretty darn good job of getting this up and running.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Yargnit' timestamp='1314438287' post='45289']
What are these tricks to hit 150 in 2-5 days? (Without already having access to a 150 toon)
[/quote]

Welcome back to EnB.

Instead of telling you how you should be playing the game, what I see is basically a Time Sink concern.

As for any tricks, There aren't any tricks to getting to level 150 in that time span.

Word of warning first. Be prepared for initial hours of sitting there and doing nothing but clicking on gates, stations and NPC's. It also wouldn't hurt, if you don't know any high levels, to post something Flaming, hypocritical or bigoted in nature as a reply to any topic you don't agree with. That will surely get you a guild invite and fulfill any prereq's needed from one of the "Holier then thou" elitist jackass's in the game. Then your all set.

Again, without telling you how to play, if you so choose, This is exactly how you do it.

The first 24 hours. Because it's close and completely "OP" and doesn't require any kind of faction at all, do trade runs from Charon/Pluto to Earth, non-stop. That will get you to level 50 Trade.

Day two. Combat xp in groups has changed yet again. Just ask any of the high levels, going to Antares, if you can tag along. (see above if you don't know any) Level 58 Voltoi should give around 2500 cl xp per kill. 60's should give around 3500 xp per kill no matter what YOUR level is. You don't have to do anything but sit there and watch. If your actually playing a Jenquai, just cloak, you won't have any problems at all. Power Leveling at it's finest.

Day three. A combination of either of the first two and spill over takes care of whatever Explore you have left to gain.

In less then 5 days, your level 150 and only leaves you RD faction to gain access to Smuggler's Run (BBW, Paramis).

After that, all that's left is to spam market for any items you want and soon enough you'll be just like the other sheep flocking to F7 for all the gear you need for free.

No tricks, just a question of ethics.

Damn, standing on my soapbox again. :)

[quote name='Cobra' timestamp='1314494149' post='45309']
Welcome back to EnB.

Instead of telling you how you should be playing the game, what I see is basically a Time Sink concern.

As for any tricks, There aren't any tricks to getting to level 150 in that time span.

Word of warning first. Be prepared for initial hours of sitting there and doing nothing but clicking on gates, stations and NPC's. It also wouldn't hurt, if you don't know any high levels, to post something Flaming, hypocritical or bigoted in nature as a reply to any topic you don't agree with. That will surely get you a guild invite and fulfill any prereq's needed from one of the "Holier then thou" elitist jackass's in the game. Then your all set.

Again, without telling you how to play, if you so choose, This is exactly how you do it.

The first 24 hours. Because it's close and completely "OP" and doesn't require any kind of faction at all, do trade runs from Charon/Pluto to Earth, non-stop. That will get you to level 50 Trade.

Day two. Combat xp in groups has changed yet again. Just ask any of the high levels, going to Antares, if you can tag along. (see above if you don't know any) Level 58 Voltoi should give around 2500 cl xp per kill. 60's should give around 3500 xp per kill no matter what YOUR level is. You don't have to do anything but sit there and watch. If your actually playing a Jenquai, just cloak, you won't have any problems at all. Power Leveling at it's finest.

Day three. A combination of either of the first two and spill over takes care of whatever Explore you have left to gain.

In less then 5 days, your level 150 and only leaves you RD faction to gain access to Smuggler's Run (BBW, Paramis).

After that, all that's left is to spam market for any items you want and soon enough you'll be just like the other sheep flocking to F7 for all the gear you need for free.

No tricks, just a question of ethics.

Damn, standing on my soapbox again. <_<
[/quote]

And Cobra thats just 1 fine way of doing it well put! Not sure if I said it or maybe was just trying to say it but ya plenty of ways to get up, in a rather fast time. But I'll tell you now... at 150 or maxed out life slows down so don't rush it. Pretend your with a woman or man (whatever your opposite is) Fun doesnt start at the end, it is enjoyed throughout the whole process of well if you have to ask then guess this analogy aint for you :P

Trust me alot of people want to race to 150 and start life... And they are also those who race right away from the game when they get stale n bored. Then either level another character (again the race) or just wear out the very few end game content available right now. Thus missing everything in the in-between.

Honestly 150 = 5 raids right now, 6 if you wanna count Mordana and 4 of those 6 can be done in under 10mins. The other 2 under 40mins (mind u this is with the right people). So what if thats all you did every day if possible that would be less than 3 hours crammed into a day (not taking in account rotating/random spawn times)...

Queue the song... "SLOW RIDE..... TAKE IT EASY!" hehe

To get to L150 in 2-3 days you tour lowbies. Unless this has been fixed already but I doubt that.

Best way to do it is with 6 accounts as finding enough lowbies can be hard.

It's bug abuse as that is clearly a form of power leveling that beats the need to play and grind normally for a few weeks to hit 150.

Hope it will either be fixed, or all low level content is removed and replaced by 150 content as that is when the game really begins (I'm with you on that one).
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Is it really that easy to get to 150 <_<

I agree with the other posters, take your time to explore all the different areas, they all have their charm and targetted level ranges. There's plenty going on in the universe and we got a lot more good stuff to go in yet.

I recently started levelling a Seeker up, been having a lot of fun with that. Still only on level 20-something but it's on my non-dev account so I can't use any shortcuts! You appreciate the work gone into the sectors a bit more I think.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1314599699' post='45335']
Is it really that easy to get to 150 <_<

I agree with the other posters, take your time to explore all the different areas, they all have their charm and targetted level ranges. There's plenty going on in the universe and we got a lot more good stuff to go in yet.

I recently started levelling a Seeker up, been having a lot of fun with that. Still only on level 20-something but it's on my non-dev account so I can't use any shortcuts! You appreciate the work gone into the sectors a bit more I think.
[/quote]

It can be easy or it can be hard. Once you've learned the routine of any MMO and the who/what/where/when the leveling is the easy part. Note that 2-3 days means 2-3days of solid play time not just 2-3days of 1-2hrs each hehe (in case you were thinking it was too easy).

But ya take a moment to stop and smell the roses before you pass them by I say :P

I hear a lot that in live the grinding was there for the purpose of keeping people playing to keep them paying the monthly fee but grinding is really a part of all MMOs. If you turn the exp rates really high, people get to the max level quickly then they get bored. At the same time we don't want to force players to grind until they cry/get bored.

Overall I'm happy with where the level curve is at this time. We hear similar suggestions occasionally but it also seems like the community is relatively happy with the rates. Making leveling faster could mean much of the content goes unused and that could leave out some interesting aspects of the game.

Runover exp gets cut down to encourage leveling each separate level type and I've never found mining to be a great source of exp, though it is repeatable. This is not the best way to level your combat skill but if you find it too difficult to level your JE's CL, maybe you could turn this suggestion into something like JEs need to have an easier time getting the last few combat levels by soloing.

[quote name='Elrick' timestamp='1314449238' post='45292']
The point Red was trying to make is that the fun and enjoyment is in the journey and not the destination.[/quote]
The problem is that when you have done it a few times already it isn't much of a journey. It's more like a daily commute that you just want to get over and done with. <_<

That being said though, I don't find EnB any harder to level than most other MMO's. Sure, there isn't much questing to speak of so it's more a matter of combat/mining/trade but it is still a fairly smooth and quick process if you have a rough idea of how to get the most xp at a certain level.

//Clavain

[quote name='Kenu' timestamp='1314604922' post='45338']
I hear a lot that in live the grinding was there for the purpose of keeping people playing to keep them paying the monthly fee but grinding is really a part of all MMOs. If you turn the exp rates really high, people get to the max level quickly then they get bored. At the same time we don't want to force players to grind until they cry/get bored.[/quote]
Grinding is not part of all MMO's, just poorly designed ones. Grinding is directly related to whether, or how much endgame content there is.

EnB being an early MMO it lacks endgame content so they made the road to getting there longer to keep people paying.

Raiding is not really sustainable endgame content because you are raiding to get uber gear to raid better. It is a cycle that can get boring quickly if you have enough raid gear or you can see through the cycle. The latter of which I'm unsure most players here can do. :P

Other MMO's (not WOW) have good endgame PvP content without the need to grind your toon for weeks/months but this is completely incompatible with EnB. EnB does not have the required basis of balanced classes for pvp, nor does it have a proper arena or decent pvp objectives.

Not to forget, ENB has too many old players who at the mere mention of pvp do what scuttlebugs do best <_<

So grinding for ages untill in the end you can raid a bit, those are the major milestones enb offers...
  • Downvote 1

[quote name='Tyran' timestamp='1314611128' post='45340']
Grinding is not part of all MMO's, just poorly designed ones. Grinding is directly related to whether, or how much endgame content there is.

Raiding is not really sustainable endgame content because you are raiding to get uber gear to raid better. It is a cycle that can get boring quickly if you have enough raid gear or you can see through the cycle. The latter of which I'm unsure most players here can do. <_<

[/quote]

Funny every MMO I've played... It was all a grind to level up.

Raiding for better gear eh? Heh wonder why they called it Tier 1, 2 ...... etc in WoW for example. Thats called PvE content... WoW had specific servers for PvE and PvP. Personally I hated PvP because it meant those who had already been playing for ages all they did was just grief the new players, that and I never found MMOs a fun source for PvP thats what I play FPSers for but again to each his own.

By your words though since grinding is done here, this is a poorly designed MMO, and thus I ask what are you doing here then?
  • Upvote 1

For the same reasons Airwolf, Miami Vice, Knight Rider, The A-Team, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica and a lot of other older TV series are still cool to watch. The stunts are real and not some CG bs, they could have cheesey tunes and/or the main characters could have rediculous hairdo's and still be cool.

EnB can get away with a lot because it's so old.

And it being poorly designed compared to today's standards does not make it fun-exempt.

It just means there is a limit to the amusement it can give you. Especially if you have already watched the episode, or in EnB's case, played the game before.

[quote name='Kenu' timestamp='1314604922' post='45338']

Runover exp gets cut down to encourage leveling each separate level type and I've never found mining to be a great source of exp, though it is repeatable. This is not the best way to level your combat skill but if you find it too difficult to level your JE's CL, maybe you could turn this suggestion into something like JEs need to have an easier time getting the last few combat levels by soloing.
[/quote]

Direct combat on a JE should be primarily about fighting off orefield guardians to get that L9 unobtainium. Assuming we don't just sneak by. Other than that, we should be mining or exploring. Maybe killing some low level mob for a drop needed in a mission. (Derfresser Phlegm anyone?)