Forced content for HU/optional mission items

Should HU and/or skills be dependant on other classes to complete (i.e forced grouping)  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that a class should have its skills and/or HU advancement dependant on other classes input?

• I don't like core content such as skills/hull upgrades to depend on other players to complete.
    • I DO think that core content such as skills/HU should be dependant on other players to complete
    • I feel that items created from OPTIONAL content should be included in skill/HU advancement
    • None of the above (please explain)
    • Don't want to vote or have no opinion

It's ok to have class interdependency on this kind of level because...

You are already depending on builders to make your PM equipment. This is no different.

But...

The mission being optional for the people who would build those parts is a bit iffy.

At least make that mission compulsory so it is not too hard to get someone to build for you.

On a side note about missions...

Some of the Jenquai missions have some good lulz in them, keep that up :)
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

[quote name='Galileo' timestamp='1313535148' post='44817']
Silly question: I missed it somewheres. Is this TS lv 135 HU an "Optional" mission or is it the standard lv 135 HU mission?
[/quote]

Scouts have no choice about it - they have to get Agrippa technology parts in order to get their HU135. The Progens on the other hand, don't have to take part in Agrippa technology. The parts have become a mandatory requirement for the hull upgrade mission for scouts and it in turn depends on Progens that have taken part in optional content.

There are only a few Progens that have done Agrippa, most were shut out from taking part in the content because they were too high level when Agrippa content became active. So yes there are parts available for scouts to get them but probably what should happen is that either the requirement gets removed from the scouts hull upgrade or the restrictions barring older Progens from taking part in the Agrippa content should be removed or they should somehow be allowed to do the Agrippa content.
  • Upvote 3

[quote name='Lot' timestamp='1313543831' post='44821']
... restrictions barring older Progens from taking part in the Agrippa content should be removed or they should somehow be allowed to do the Agrippa content.
[/quote]

/agree and Ok
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Lot' timestamp='1313543831' post='44821']
Scouts have no choice about it - they have to get Agrippa technology parts in order to get their HU135. The Progens on the other hand, don't have to take part in Agrippa technology. The parts have become a mandatory requirement for the hull upgrade mission for scouts and it in turn depends on Progens that have taken part in optional content.

There are only a few Progens that have done Agrippa, most were shut out from taking part in the content because they were too high level when Agrippa content became active. So yes there are parts available for scouts to get them but probably what should happen is that either the requirement gets removed from the scouts hull upgrade or the restrictions barring older Progens from taking part in the Agrippa content should be removed or they should somehow be allowed to do the Agrippa content.
[/quote]
Which brings up another point...for those conspiracy minded..:)

So conspiracy:
So many have forgone the "optional" content, or mothballed their progen out of frustration, that the "optional" content is not getting tested as much as they "feel" it should be. Those that mothballed turned to other classes to play like TS (I did). So to get that content tested, without admitting its a turd pie to a vast segment of us, they linked TS HU to it, to force progens out of retirement to run ((make that crawl-through) a field of dull rusted razorblades) that "optional" content, so they can get the TS advanced.

So what do you think, cool conspiracy? Think Mel Gibson would approve? hehe

Message received. I will remove the Agrippa themed 135 TS upgrade and replace it with a more traditional, yet challenging, variant.

I will move the Agrippa Themed mission to stand alone with a suitable reward.

Changes to be visible on the play server during the next content push.

El

[quote name='Elrick' timestamp='1313581275' post='44835']
Message received. I will remove the Agrippa themed 135 TS upgrade and replace it with a more traditional, yet challenging, variant.

I will move the Agrippa Themed mission to stand alone with a suitable reward.

Changes to be visible on the play server during the next content push.

El
[/quote]

Thank you very much for listening. And as a bonus level 150 TS, may be able to do these missions as well?

Thank you, thank you very much! btw I liked the other TS HU. The antares one was kind of cool, actaully more than "kind of cool" IMO (and it didn't have to have murky convoluted instructions either! Unlike some "other" races content *glances slyly over towards progen Cdev*)

Thats what missions should do..sort of a 2fer, get the HU and introduce players to possibly previously unexperienced zones, or show them a new twist to uses of old skills. Thats how I would envision all HU should be, each lvl pushes them further out from the start area, as they morph from the "baby bird" stage to "full adult".

I know you're Terran CDev but I could imagine something for Jen CDev might want to include in a 135 HU, once the JE skill "forced contemplation" was in, they might write 135HU for them thats a 2fer, since it is a 135 skill, link the usage or introduce the HU twining the two, thus getting a 2fer out of that.

They could have done that with a PS also, get a 2fer from the 135 skill "call forward" linked to their 135HU.

[quote name='Mimir' timestamp='1313591004' post='44838']
Thank you very much for listening. And as a bonus level 150 TS, may be able to do these missions as well?
[/quote]
I hope so for you Mimir, the 2 that I did were good, both were 2fers and like I previously said, not needlessly convoluted.

I don't know if there is some way to have cutbacks to lower content, but it would be real cool if all the missions had some way to have a voluntary opt-in, so that those that missed it could go back and check it out, or like I would like to do, see how your advancement has made you evolve and how your new skills and HU would effect it, sort of a "trip down memory lane" thing.

[quote name='Mimir' timestamp='1313591004' post='44838']
And as a bonus level 150 TS, may be able to do these missions as well?
[/quote]

Yes, that is the plan. The mission is already built, so I will just move it to a stand alone / bonus mission.

El

I think I should note that as I was going through the Jenquai Seeker initial stages, I was told to gather some ore. This ore, I think, is going to be used to teach me to build components. (As I cannot) Note that as I cannot build components, I can't rip components for ore. So my ONLY choice is to get this ore from a miner.

It's fairly common ore, and I won't have any trouble getting it, (I'm just using an alt to get it) but since the point of this thread is FORCING players to deal with other players for critical skills, then I feel that mission definately counts. Either you allow players to ask other players for fairly common items for advancement missions or you don't allow that.

I honestly don't mind, I think it's a far cry from asking another player for a common, easily found component, and something they have to do optional content for. But then you've got to define what "easily found" means. :)

[quote name='Dragoncove' timestamp='1314037219' post='45049']
I think I should note that as I was going through the Jenquai Seeker initial stages, I was told to gather some ore. This ore, I think, is going to be used to teach me to build components. (As I cannot) Note that as I cannot build components, I can't rip components for ore. So my ONLY choice is to get this ore from a miner.

It's fairly common ore, and I won't have any trouble getting it, (I'm just using an alt to get it) but since the point of this thread is FORCING players to deal with other players for critical skills, then I feel that mission definately counts. Either you allow players to ask other players for fairly common items for advancement missions or you don't allow that.

I honestly don't mind, I think it's a far cry from asking another player for a common, easily found component, and something they have to do optional content for. But then you've got to define what "easily found" means. :D
[/quote]
The easy way to solve this would be to add the ores in question as drops if they aren't already. Some ores do drop...

Yeh have it drop from mobs that they have to kill in a previous mission, say those caxel things or something..some mob near a ore resource area is "mining" or "eating" the ores, if the player paid attention to the ores they looted and held them, they would have them for the comp mission, if they had vendored them, then they would know were to loot them without begging miner and go cap the mob for ore instead.

^^^ Good idea and would solve the aforementioned problem.

On a side note, I seem to remember from live, seeing mobs mining. I would kill them while they were tractoring the ores from the roids they were mining. The ores would be left floating and I could then tractor them. I was doing this with a JD. Does anyone else remember this? This would also be an option to obtain the required ores for non-miner types.

[quote name='cpwings' timestamp='1314282195' post='45212']

On a side note, I seem to remember from live, seeing mobs mining. I would kill them while they were tractoring the ores from the roids they were mining. The ores would be left floating and I could then tractor them. I was doing this with a JD. Does anyone else remember this? This would also be an option to obtain the required ores for non-miner types.
[/quote]

I remember pulling ores for non miners. I would pull them, hit warp to drop and the non miner would then pull them in. I don't remember mobs mining though, sorry.

[quote name='cpwings' timestamp='1314282195' post='45212']

[/quote]
Yes. there were mobs that mined and could be looted like you said, specificly comes to mind the mobs in shepard, both the glenn security types would mine and you could kill and tractor the ore, and the RD that attacked them would rob/mine, you usely didnt see the RD mine, but a roid near them would disappear and if you killed them they would have it in their hold. I remember ardus having those stone parasites mining and having ores in loot. The insane miner types (forement etc.) would mine and have ore on corpse.

The ores they mined were of course raw, hulks on the otherhand had both raw and refined. I can remember how ecstatic I got when I would find a big stack of unrefined ammo ore, or refined steel or galactic steel etc. in a hulk.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Lannister' timestamp='1313492645' post='44763']

However, Lets remember that games like this are MMO's anr by their nature social. The need to work with others is a cornerstone of much of the game. In addition the intertwining of the story lines (Agrippa in the very immature TS story) is interesting, it is part of the spice that makes the story interesting.

[/quote]

Every society/community has their "lone wolves," so to speak. It's simply human nature for some; not all are gregarious. Also, some people play more during off hours, or cannot commit to be online much or at certain times due to oddball work schedules. Let's not forget that in reality, we exist in the real world. These people should not be penalized for things that may be out of their direct control.

(of course, if this wasn't the real world, I'd fold space to every a**hole that cuts me off on the road)

[quote name='Vitaes' timestamp='1315606769' post='45949']
Every society/community has their "lone wolves," so to speak. It's simply human nature for some; not all are gregarious. Also, some people play more during off hours, or cannot commit to be online much or at certain times due to oddball work schedules. Let's not forget that in reality, we exist in the real world. These people should not be penalized for things that may be out of their direct control.

(of course, if this wasn't the real world, I'd fold space to every a**hole that cuts me off on the road)
[/quote]
LOL I'd fold them into nearest pond with fish...maybe up close the fish would make them think of the FB and they would get screaming fits, might make them be a bit more curtious in the future at least :)

I'd grav link everyone that couldn't take the "overstrenious" effort to twitch their finger 1 inch to flip their turn signal on before trying to merge. Despite all my efforts over the years, I still don't seem to have "physcic turn signal detection" skill. Maybe GLed it will slow them down enough that nthey can't pass anyone and pull that crap, then they would be consined to the back of the pack. :)