Top builders list

Spode

I find it funny that all of these people who opt to use pseudonyms talk about privacy.

Privacy in a game like this is what you make of it. We do not ask for any personal information other than your e-mail address which is only used as verification to stop spam creation of mass accounts. What little we have is never shared, and in fact we do not use it ourselves unless you opt to get forum notifications.

In game privacy is much the same - shut off chat if you don't want to be bothered.

Privacy is your responsibility here.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

[quote name='Elrick' timestamp='1314013275' post='45031']
I find it funny that all of these people who opt to use pseudonyms talk about privacy.

Privacy in a game like this is what you make of it. We do not ask for any personal information other than your e-mail address which is only used as verification to stop spam creation of mass accounts. What little we have is never shared, and in fact we do not use it ourselves unless you opt to get forum notifications.

In game privacy is much the same - shut off chat if you don't want to be bothered.

[/quote]

I disagree with your statements, and don't find anything funny about it.

All builders are listed on the net-7 database. With no choice what so ever at all.

While playing, because my characters names are on a list in which I have no choice in the matter, I have been messaged to build particular items. If I'm not offering to build, that's a privacy issue.

I've already stated that I received "attitude/grief" when I was not willing to drop what I was doing at that exact moment to build the items. This has happened to me at least twice that I can remember. One time was one time to many and made it a privacy issue.

If I continue to build, there is the possibility to be included in the "Top Builders" list whether I like it or not. Just another possibility to be hounded to build when I don't have the time or I'm busy doing other things. That's a privacy issue.

Privacy is NOT what I make of it when character names are openly listed.

So, Regardless of what name I use here on the forums vs what names my characters have in game, I basically have to quite using an aspect of the game that I enjoy? Not to mention, abandon any characters that currently exist (that can build anything) if I "don't want to be bothered"? Wonderful!

And to top it all off, as a Dev, your telling us to shut off all channels and have no contact with anyone??? What's next?

Is Prom back?? ............Waiting for the wall of red text telling us that we are just "connections" to the server and don't mean anything other then that.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

[quote name='Elrick' timestamp='1314013275' post='45031']

[/quote]

Well, 10/10 for general truth but 0/10 for not responding to the actual issue.

I want two things:

1. The Net 7 database to stop showing everyone what I can or cannot build.
2. The system to stop announcing my every login and logout.

Until then "privacy is your responsibility here" is not a fact.

[quote name='Cobra' timestamp='1314045847' post='45059']
While playing, because my characters names are on a list in which I have no choice in the matter, I have been messaged to build particular items. If I'm not offering to build, that's a privacy issue.

I've already stated that I received "attitude/grief" when I was not willing to drop what I was doing at that exact moment to build the items. This has happened to me at least twice that I can remember. One time was one time to many and made it a privacy issue.

If I continue to build, there is the possibility to be included in the "Top Builders" list whether I like it or not. Just another possibility to be hounded to build when I don't have the time or I'm busy doing other things. That's a privacy issue.

Privacy is NOT what I make of it when character names are openly listed.

So, Regardless of what name I use here on the forums vs what names my characters have in game, I basically have to quite using an aspect of the game that I enjoy? Not to mention, abandon any characters that currently exist (that can build anything) if I "don't want to be bothered"? Wonderful!

And to top it all off, as a Dev, your telling us to shut off all channels and have no contact with anyone??? What's next?

Is Prom back?? ............Waiting for the wall of red text telling us that we are just "connections" to the server and don't mean anything other then that.
[/quote]

I think that is a bit of an overreaction there Cobra. I build more than most anyone, and am far from hounded.

We always have the ability to hide our online status from non-friends and anytime I am busy and cannot build I tell them that - and never have had any grief about it.

Whats next - someone sees you in F7 and PMs you to ask a question and they you have privacy issues? It really is all a bit silly.

Privacy in a virtual world if fictitious at best. It becomes a mantra without a point to the detriment of the game.

Elrick's point is valid - if you want privacy it is on yourself to create it or opt not to play if the game doesn't provide an arena in which you feel comfortable.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I do think that just getting rid of the server wide announcements for each log in might help for those builders that don't want a deluge of PMs when they are trying to do something else. Also using the /away command can help in that arena.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Lannister' timestamp='1313245045' post='44682']
I agree, it would be nice to see updated.

Sneaky as the advocate should be able to request it from Slayerman. How about it?
[/quote]
I did ask as you requested and the answer was no.

[quote name='Lannister' timestamp='1314049646' post='45064']
I think that is a bit of an overreaction there Cobra. I build more than most anyone, and am far from hounded.

We always have the ability to hide our online status from non-friends and anytime I am busy and cannot build I tell them that - and never have had any grief about it.

Whats next - someone sees you in F7 and PMs you to ask a question and they you have privacy issues? It really is all a bit silly.

Privacy in a virtual world if fictitious at best. It becomes a mantra without a point to the detriment of the game.

Elrick's point is valid - if you want privacy it is on yourself to create it or opt not to play if the game doesn't provide an arena in which you feel comfortable.
[/quote]

Lann, I know you build a ton and everyone, including myself, is or should be thankful for the service you provide and time you put into it. No one has mandated that you stand at a terminal and build for hours on end. Not one single person. You made that decision.

Overreaction, no. As I said, one time was one time to many. I play mainly after you and most of the other "popular" builders have logged out, which would be late night/ early morning for you. Could it be possible you don't see these individuals in game? Besides, What you've experienced in game and what I've experienced are two different things.

I shouldn't have to set all my channels to off and hide my online status so only those on my friends list can see if I'm on or not, every single time I log in. That's just ridiculous. The only reason I have to do that at all is because I can build certain items and my toons are listed as being able to do so. Furthermore, if I continue to build anything at all and/or add any new builds to my list, I have the chance of being placed on a list that you started. I'm sure you meant well and all but with anything in life or in gaming, there are those that abuse it.

While you don't look at it as being "hounded", if I've already said that I can't at that time, I don't need multiple tells asking if I can yet or why not. And I surely shouldn't have to go and set all my channels to off to "not be bothered".

If I don't want to be bothered that badly, yes, I can go play something else. I can't think of one single game that the community or devs WANT you to go play another game, especially Dev's. I mean if that's the case, as far as Dev's are concerned, then why are they even putting time into developing the game in the first place???

If I was being completely unruly and obnoxious, that would be one thing. In time I could possibly understand why I was being asked to leave. But I'm not doing any of that.
So,.........

[Sarcasm button] *engaged*

What's next? Changing the name to World of EnB? That way we can get all the little kids in game shouting obscenities, sending tells that you suck because your gear score is to low. Then we can start dividing everyone up by race or "Faction" so we can't group with friends who decide to play a certain way or even better, let's get all the people that donate to gang up on everyone else and let them know who runs the server and why. That should get TONS of people playing.

[Sarcasm button] *disengaged*

I guess I don't understand why it would be so hard to add the ability to "opt in" to something that could possibly be, and has been, a problem for some. You yourself told me that you started this list to generate some interest in building. Your words "It had its desired effect". Great, you got what you wanted and then some. Now because of it, some people, including myself, have had "issues". I bring it up and all of a sudden it's "Go play another game if you don't like it". Seriously???

It makes no sense to me, but if that's what you and your "clique" want, keep up the good work. Soon enough you'll have the entire server to yourselves to throw parties in the Disco room and "schwing" your e-peens from one wall to the other. Mission Accomplished again.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wait a minute... There's something... something oh thats right its called ignore... If someone sends you a tell there is no obligation to respond or care about it. Thus in point WHO GIVES a rats arse if someone asks you to build something and you dont want to. Privacy issues really? Again no one forces you to response period. Step off your soap box---

I guess I should heed my own advice and ignore this post as its gotten way outta hand and completely off topic.

I do like Lot's posts I asked for the not showing every player login/logout message for several reasons prime one being wasted darn text space and server resources imo. Could careless who's on/off cept those I have in my friends list. As for the DB showing names ya worse tragedies in the world today lemme tell again see above, you dont have to answer them unless you're possessed I guess.

Anyways close this topic already as its gotten --- for the most part! Edited by Dakynos
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
As the original intent of the OP has been resolved, I'll close this topic.

I will say I'm sorry to see the last few posts (now removed). This is a community forum, and we should all strive to get along, even more so if we disagree with what someone is posting. Name calling and calling concerns or ideas stupid or worthless is not acceptable. If you have constructive feedback for someone, post why you disagree or bring up counterpoints. Sure, people get tired and frustrated. That comes through now and then, but consider how you might feel on the other side.

Dakynos