Environment Shield

Currently we have Radiation, EM, and Gravity Shear in game. Currently E-shield defends only against one of them, Radiation. Ultimately which environmental effects will E-shield defend against? Also will the magnetic effect from the star in Glory's Orbit be in eventually, and will e-shield defend against it?

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1312760331' post='44207']
Currently we have Radiation, EM, and Gravity Shear in game. Currently E-shield defends only against one of them, Radiation. Ultimately which environmental effects will E-shield defend against? Also will the magnetic effect from the star in Glory's Orbit be in eventually, and will e-shield defend against it?
[/quote]

I think it should fefend against all but EM, including the magnetic effect.

[quote name='QX419-M' timestamp='1312775823' post='44225']
If I remember correctly from my JE (main) during Live, once Enviroment Shield is leveled up sufficiently, it should protect against all of them.
[/quote]

Thanks, that's what I thought, I have mine leveled up to L5. Was wondering if the EMU devs had decided to make changes to the skill.

I don't remember seeing anything about it being changed, though I could have missed it. I think what MAY have happened, is that the environmental effects have only recently all been done up, and Environment Shield might just require adjustment to work properly with them now.

Q's last post is quite spot on in terms of why it doesn't work now.

With that said, the idea was that we introduced the Shear which can rip at your hull, and the intense em which damages the reactor (unless we changed that and I've forgotten). I was thinking allow ES to be immune to the em, but not the shear, and let the scout's nullfactor be immune to the shear, but not necessarily the EM, though to be honest we may yet add some more environmental effects before all is said and done.

Rolo is currently working to bring skills up to snuff with how they should be at present.

If e-shield isn't going to work against shear you might want to change it's description. Shear is included, specifically in e-shield's description, as something it protects against.

Shear was in Live in BBW, well north of Queen Anne's Revenge. The gate to Paramis is in the general direction. There was also a very large orefield in the effect. The ores were L7-L8 with the occasional L9. The field was guarded by L46+ Manes & mobs from the Bio-Extractor family.

The graphic was a black swirly under your ship. Sounds were similar to the sound gravity-link makes when it's cast on you.

Terrell,

To be fair, I may have been thinking of another one of our effects that we had planned. :P So take what I said in that regard with a grain of salt, there's several possibilities.

and to Matsu, I think you're seeing the PS Repulsor field in your head, it was somewhere in hue between pink and red. I believe we have screenshots showing the environmental being sort of a whiteish/yellowish color somewhere. I think that's what it is now in game, but I could certainly be wrong.

My Opinion --> ES should protect against all environmental effects that existed in Live, while possibly not protecting against a few select new ones to be added in time. Nullfactor should be about the same, really. Here is where the differences between them are, as i see it:

Environment Shield is targetable, has a cost per application, and a defined duration. Nullfactor Field is more a constant. It has a reactor capacity reduction, and a small buff to recharge rate to even it out, but has a limited range around the Scout ship, in exchange for having no defined duration (instead being a toggle)..

In formations, or close proximity, Nullfactor is more efficient (no "cast time", no remembering to refresh, blankets the whole group in range). In all other applications, such as mining groups who must spread out to make the most of a field, etc...You'd really rather have ES, because it doesn't force everyone to stick together. As more environmental effects find their way into the game over time, each will help more in some cases than the other, so neither becomes favored.

As for ES/Repulsor colors, they worked just like psi-shield did. As you leveled the skill up, the shield would shift tint colors. Max level would have been red, while minimum level would have been blue, with gold-ish being the middle color.