Advertising

Please pardon if I am oversimplifying out of ignorance but couldn't you just "give away" the stickers as thanks for "donations"? [img]https://forum.enb-emulator.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img]

No copyright issues then, yes?

[quote name='Ripster' timestamp='1311763713' post='43695']
I guess I could create my own Design. They cant have a patent on "Earth And Beyond" . That is just a statement. Correct?
[/quote]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ryprx' timestamp='1312389992' post='43921']
Please pardon if I am oversimplifying out of ignorance but couldn't you just "give away" the stickers as thanks for "donations"? [img]https://forum.enb-emulator.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img]

No copyright issues then, yes?

[/quote]

I think the point was to sell them to raise money for the project. While giving them away sounds good it does little to help with the cash crunch of the EMU.

Ok, heres a quick and easy way.
If your on Facebook add https://www.facebook.com/enbemulator?sk=wall#!/enbemulator to your likes and share it.
Done your friends will investigate your link on your wall and Bam advertising done. free free free no harm no foul. I just did.

Edit: I know someone knows who the admin is, maybe add the forum to the info page or a link to what exactly we are. :(

Phorlaug

[quote name='Mimir' timestamp='1312390964' post='43922']
I think the point was to sell them to raise money for the project. While giving them away sounds good it does little to help with the cash crunch of the EMU.
[/quote]
I think you missed his point...giving it free....for a "donation"...slight of hand. Years ago a enterprising fellow tried to get around the laws/regulations/taxs etc. at a ball game at his local park, he was giving a "free" beer to people who bought his pre-sandwich baggied package of 1 bolt, 1 washer and 1 nut, for $3. So..was he REALLY selling bolt/nut/washer and giving a free beer to his customers as a "service" or was he selling beer? He got away with it for about 2 hrs until the cops confiscated his goods and hauled him in. The judge let him off (minus his goods and profits) because he was so inventive and cooprative (and I'm sure the judge got a chuckle and didn't have the heart to take the time to bend some existing law to fit that particular loophole in the law).

If you have ever been to a school play etc. were they have a "suggested donation" to get in, and you don't "donate", do you REALLY think you're getting in? :(

[quote name='Mattsacre' timestamp='1312443858' post='44021']
I think you missed his point...giving it free....for a "donation"...slight of hand. Years ago a enterprising fellow tried to get around the laws/regulations/taxs etc. at a ball game at his local park, he was giving a "free" beer to people who bought his pre-sandwich baggied package of 1 bolt, 1 washer and 1 nut, for $3. So..was he REALLY selling bolt/nut/washer and giving a free beer to his customers as a "service" or was he selling beer? He got away with it for about 2 hrs until the cops confiscated his goods and hauled him in. The judge let him off (minus his goods and profits) because he was so inventive and cooprative (and I'm sure the judge got a chuckle and didn't have the heart to take the time to bend some existing law to fit that particular loophole in the law).

If you have ever been to a school play etc. were they have a "suggested donation" to get in, and you don't "donate", do you REALLY think you're getting in? :(
[/quote]

[quote name='Ripster' ]Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

I have decided to do some advertising on my own and made a bumper sticker. I do need a higher definition one if one of one you devs can give it to me.
They wont let me sell them because of the quality. If I sell any, I would send the proceeds to you guys: Here is my sample:
[img]http://www.outfctrl.com/enbbumper.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Sorry If I missed the point here, looked pretty clear cut to me.

Phor, if that's the [email="Earth@Beyond"]Earth@Beyond[/email] facebook co. site, Satanicexhile is the owner of the page. I can't see it here at work though, so I'm not sure.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1312453190' post='44041']
Phor, if that's the [email="Earth@Beyond"]Earth@Beyond[/email] facebook co. site, Satanicexhile is the owner of the page. I can't see it here at work though, so I'm not sure.
[/quote]

Yep it is Satanicexhile's I just saw his name at the end of a Admin post.

[quote name='Ripster' timestamp='1311763713' post='43695']
I guess I could create my own Design. They cant have a patent on "Earth And Beyond" . That is just a statement. Correct?
[/quote]

'Earth And Beyond' is ©2002 Electronic Arts Inc. However, it would be worth finding out if Net-7 is free game. If so, branding everything with Net-7 and avoiding the use of 'Earth and Beyond' might be a viable direction to go.

It also makes the name of the site more memorable. Media stating 'Earth and Beyond' with a 'net-7.org' addr at the bottom results in people remembering 'Earth and Beyond' and trying to remember an URL that has no context to them unless they are already EnB fans. The result: few will rarely remember it. However media with 'NET-7' and 'NET-7.org' or simply 'NET-7.org' makes the URL more memorable as it is one in the same with the name itself. Edited by Loktofeit

Why not charge everyone .50c for a forum account :) (when we go live)
.50c a month is a tiny amount to pay monthly, but the fee is for access to the site and not the game,
Uber income :)

[quote name='Shaddex' timestamp='1312797645' post='44254']
Why not charge everyone .50c for a forum account <_< (when we go live)
.50c a month is a tiny amount to pay monthly, but the fee is for access to the site and not the game,
Uber income <_<
[/quote]
Because its a EMU, "charging" anything violates the term of a EMU. It could be argued in court that a EMU having charged something is "profit" and would be actionable. However persons "donating" for a server maintenance VOLUNTARILY, isn't profit taking, thus not actionable in court. I know thats a fine distinction, "donate" or "charge" but the devil IS in the details when dealing with the legal profession.

Per my example (it really did happen btw):Years ago a enterprising fellow tried to get around the laws/regulations/taxs etc. at a ball game at his local park, he was giving a "free" beer to people who bought his pre-sandwich baggied package of 1 bolt, 1 washer and 1 nut, for $3. So..was he REALLY selling bolt/nut/washer and giving a free beer to his customers as a "service" or was he selling beer? He got away with it for about 2 hrs until the cops confiscated his goods and hauled him in. The judge let him off (minus his goods and profits) because he was so inventive and cooprative (and I'm sure the judge got a chuckle and didn't have the heart to take the time to bend some existing law to fit that particular loophole in the law).

If the target organization of your "donation" acts like a charity, spends like a charity, and can be perceived to benefit society fee free, it is very hard for a entity to attempt confiscate or preempt that charity, a EMU is in essence a charity. I.E. a school play, while they demand a "donation" for admission and won't let you in otherwise, do they spend the revenue on salary? No, the net defrays constume and set costs etc. thus they are perceived as a charity.

A example: remember when WWE (televised "wrestling") was called W.orld W.restling F.ederation instead of W.orld W.restling E.ntertainment? There was a charity called W.orld W.ildlife F.oundation and sometimes the two were confused in documents. WWE (then WWF) had a web presence and T.V presence and all kind of media presence long before the now (WWF). But, both as a gesture of generosity (and I'm sure confusion and possible lawsuits) now (WWE) gave up their rights to the WWF claim to the interests of the charity (WWF).

• 4 months later...
[quote name='Shaddex' timestamp='1312797645' post='44254']
Why not charge everyone .50c for a forum account :P (when we go live)
Uber income :D
[/quote]

we have always told the players we would never charge them, its run on donations only.
i dont think our goal was to make money off the game but to emulate it as a project to bring it back.
something not related to the connection and play of the game would be a better option.

Would it be illegal to sell N7 T-shirts? I'd like to see EA bring a suit about that, considering N7 happens also to be an aspect of Mass Effect lore. I would definitely buy me an N7 mug too.

[quote name='C Del' timestamp='1323961345' post='49868']
Would it be illegal to sell N7 T-shirts? I'd like to see EA bring a suit about that, considering N7 happens also to be an aspect of Mass Effect lore. I would definitely buy me an N7 mug too.
[/quote]

I like this idea, there are many places that will do all of the work of making/selling/shipping for you. Sort of a racket but a cool way if we can route our customers that way. Here is one I found (out of several) in a quick Google search.

[url="http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/sell/index.aspx"]http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/sell/index.aspx[/url]

Worth looking into me thinks.

Also if this is something we want to look into we should have some of the artists submit possible artwork for out goods. I did look at that site and they do anything almost for sale. From t-shirts to coffee mugs, even bumper stickers.

Mo Money!

Mim

how about something like this:

http://www.indiegogo.com/

reward people for donations.
or set goals:

ie new server:
20 dollar
thank you mail

50 dollar
thank you + christmas e-card of the staff

100 dollar
thank you + christmas e-card of the staff + promotion or something or bonus xp on beta test release

150 dollar
thank you + christmas e-card of the staff + promotion or something or bonus xp on beta test release + a cookie..

lots of people do this to fund there projects, all based on non profit.
ie making a movie for fans/indie games (free) etc etc

this will also prolly sort out some legal issues.. (not a lawyer)

but a gift, is not selling or rebranding as far as i know.
its just a gift.
if you give out a shirt with Net-7 on it, or proud member of the community
its not selling..

im sure there are a lot of things wrong with this statement.. and i hardly belive out off (what im guessing 10K forum members) no one is lawyer.. :)

[quote name='BonerBaby' timestamp='1323983699' post='49891']
how about something like this:

http://www.indiegogo.com/

lots of people do this to fund there projects, all based on non profit.
ie making a movie for fans/indie games (free) etc etc
[/quote]
I do really like the look of that. It's iffy whether we can offer in-game perks or not though, as it may open us up to IP lawsuits from EA.

Ok how About a flag with galaxy map printed on it, or à recorded personal thank you song from THE dev team (trough TS) although these kind of rewards i would say $200 dollar or something.. Also my post now is a little wonky cause of phone auto correct..

[quote name='Lunai' timestamp='1324388572' post='50127']
How about a facebook page?

so we can all press like, and perhaps our friends family join aswell.
[/quote]

thre is a facebook page but only 24 memebers. Maybe if we friend it and post more on it...
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=213827847401

[quote name='AZdexter' timestamp='1324392467' post='50128']
thre is a facebook page but only 24 memebers. Maybe if we friend it and post more on it...
[url="https://www.facebook.com/home.php#%21/group.php?gid=213827847401"]https://www.facebook...id=213827847401[/url]
[/quote]

There is also one here

https://www.facebook.com/enbemulator

[quote name='Lunai' timestamp='1324388572' post='50127']
How about a facebook page?

so we can all press like, and perhaps our friends family join aswell.
[/quote]

Already exists: [url="https://www.facebook.com/enbemulator?ref=ts"]Emulator FB page[/url]

[quote name='C Del' timestamp='1323984372' post='49895']
I do really like the look of that. It's iffy whether we can offer in-game perks or not though, as it may open us up to IP lawsuits from EA.
[/quote]
I have that one on my list, but unless they changed their policy, I think they keep the money if you don’t get enough bids to fulfill the full requested amount. Unless I’m mistaken and that was a different site, but there are only four sites that I know of that do this and they all have their fine print. But I think this site kept the money in that case, you would just need to read the fine print if you seriously consider using them for anything.

The best know site is http://www.kickstarter.com/ which has a track record of success compared to indigo go, and you can get the partial payoff if you don’t reach the full amount, I'm pretty sure - still best to check if/unless things changed. The other two I know of are not worth mentioning; one being a start-up and the other does not deal with any video game related projects so doesn't draw those contributors.

As for rewards, it usually doesn’t matter all that much, I mean not in need of offering anything in-game like stuff. They don’t donate to get great stuff, it’s more about the thought that counts me thinks. Posters, scientific calculators, kids drawing of their dog, whatever, I don’t know.

Welcome to the wonderful world of indie funding lol. Btw good that you are finally working towards getting away from those rental servers. Like I’ve said, you will be waaay better off with your own servers, be it at a co-lo datacenter or residence.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='AZdexter' timestamp='1311101864' post='43422']
Is google the only ones offering advertising? what about doubleclick or ebay??

Eve online??? [img]https://forum.enb-emulator.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif[/img] just kidding.
[/quote]

oh you goin to hell for that one :)

just kidding dex... but really :P

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.