Advertising

Hey all,

Just to let everyone know Google cut our Ad account because they felt we poses a risk of generating invalid activity. So we lost all of the money that we had for the ads due to the shutting down of the account.

Thanks,

David

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umm....You mean we took a loss? In other words, since we survive on donations, what are we talking about here? Approximately how much? Do we need to try and make that up?

Sorry if I am being a little nosey here.

[quote name='Ripster' timestamp='1310758511' post='43298']
umm....You mean we took a loss? In other words, since we survive on donations, what are we talking about here? Approximately how much? Do we need to try and make that up?

Sorry if I am being a little nosey here.
[/quote]

I was wondering that myself... I only remember seeing the advertising for the last few weeks, so maybe it was more of a safety net?

Guessing the account was too new to have accumulated much yet.

Have heard the accounts can generate quite a good income when they get going and possibly enough to fund the emulator completely each month.

Also guessing Google don't give reasons why they close an account for invalid activity. It might be an idea to figure out of it's some of the not obvious problems to see if they can be fixed. I understand you only get the opportunity for one appeal.

Sorry to hear it David.

I haven't seen any of the ads due to being in the donator group, but I had hoped it would help get folks to donate. I noticed we are sadly behind in donations this month again, which is already half over. :(

Yes, we do need the donations to catch up, we are basically at the lowest point we can really afford to be.

With that in mind, I figure maybe some folks took what I said out of context in the balance thread, we need to keep at least 2 months worth of the payment on hand most times if possible.

Now having said that, I think the ad account had accumulated around 200 so far this month, before they cut it off. We only had it the last 3 days of last month, it had only generated like 15 dollars or so then.

I have decided to do some advertising on my own and made a bumper sticker. I do need a higher definition one if one of one you devs can give it to me.
They wont let me sell them because of the quality. If I sell any, I would send the proceeds to you guys: Here is my sample:
[img]http://www.outfctrl.com/enbbumper.jpg[/img]

That's kinda cool, but you might be treading dangerous grounds legally by selling anything containing the "Earth & Beyond" logo, as EA could call that a violation of their copyright, if I am not mistaken. Its unlikely they would, mind, but it could be.

In regards to the website art displayed here or there, just send a PM to Slayerman, he should be able to find and give you what you need most likely.

[quote name='Ripster' timestamp='1311616920' post='43612']
I have decided to do some advertising on my own and made a bumper sticker. I do need a higher definition one if one of one you devs can give it to me.
They wont let me sell them because of the quality. If I sell any, I would send the proceeds to you guys: Here is my sample:
[img]http://www.outfctrl.com/enbbumper.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I like it but... for a bumper sticker wouldn’t some ships add a bit more description as to what you are trying to get interest?

What I would do is Google some high res vector images of the earth, and items you wanted to be on it. Design it from scratch including the EnB font. There are web sites with free true type fonts and yopu can find one closer to the EnB font if you can't find the actual one used.

Do your design at least 4 times actual size. then reduce to actual size.

Vector images will give you the finished look you want.

[quote name='Mimir' timestamp='1311636868' post='43628']
I like it but... for a bumper sticker wouldn’t some ships add a bit more description as to what you are trying to get interest?

What I would do is Google some high res vector images of the earth, and items you wanted to be on it. Design it from scratch including the EnB font. There are web sites with free true type fonts and yopu can find one closer to the EnB font if you can't find the actual one used.

Do your design at least 4 times actual size. then reduce to actual size.

Vector images will give you the finished look you want.

[/quote]

I looked all over the net and could find a Hi-res. It was just an idea. I need to ne a little more creative, I know that. As far as EA, not sure if I am doing anything wrong.
The EA logo is not on on there, maybe the font is, but that's all.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1311630728' post='43624']
That's kinda cool, but you might be treading dangerous grounds legally by selling anything containing the "Earth & Beyond" logo, as EA could call that a violation of their copyright, if I am not mistaken. Its unlikely they would, mind, but it could be.

In regards to the website art displayed here or there, just send a PM to Slayerman, he should be able to find and give you what you need most likely.
[/quote]

If and this is a big IF, they do sell and I kept a record of it and didnt make any money, but donated the money, I am not making a profit. So what would be the harm in it?
I am not into all that legal stuff, so bear with my ignorance.

[quote name='Ripster' timestamp='1311678451' post='43640']
I looked all over the net and could find a Hi-res. It was just an idea. I need to ne a little more creative, I know that. As far as EA, not sure if I am doing anything wrong.
The EA logo is not on on there, maybe the font is, but that's all.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.google.com/search?q=earth&hl=en&biw=1920&bih=973&gbv=2&tbm=isch&source=lnt&tbs=isz:l&sa=X&ei=hKguTsHkE-qAsgKAu41n&ved=0CAoQpwUoAQ"]http://www.google.co...ved=0CAoQpwUoAQ[/url]

Convert your art to Vector here: Free but you will have to work around their limits on the free service.

[url="http://vectormagic.com/home"]http://vectormagic.com/home[/url]

------------- Edit ---------------
Here is a vector earth many more on this page.......

[url="http://www.vectortemplates.com/raster/globes/globes-023.png"]http://www.vectortemplates.com/raster/globes/globes-023.png[/url]

EA and Earth & Beyond (in the font you are using) are most likely registered trademarks (EA certainly is). If I was home and had access to the box art and original manuals, there is some fine print in those regards so ya I would steer clear of this option unfortunately.

Now you could come up with a whole new design in terms of the Earth & Beyond EMU and be on the safe side (read I am not a legal representative). Unfortunately we're living in a patent/copyright infringement lawsuit happy world these days... Just ask Apple's legal department :) they seem to be good at it.

[quote name='Ripster' timestamp='1311763713' post='43695']
I guess I could create my own Design. They cant have a patent on "Earth And Beyond" . That is just a statement. Correct?
[/quote]

I think that is what I suggested, I even gave you a few links to get you started. See vector graphic post... at least 4x wanted size? If you try to use the bmp, jpg, etc. graphics you will NOT be happy with the end result., nor will any future customers. You had a good design, just do it with your own or PD/free graphics. I'm pretty sure if you took a fey of the ship pictures, changed them up a tad and vectorized them (at the site posted in my other post) you and your future customers would be happy to display on their Rolls Royce. :)

[b]Still Needed:[/b] [img]https://forum.enb-emulator.com/public/style_images/currency/money_dollar.png[/img] [b]469.30[/b] is what is needed to meet Julys donation lvl And it is the 27 th today, 3 days left ! thank you to all who have donated in the past and present !! :) [quote name='Mimir' timestamp='1310766529' post='43299']
I was wondering that myself... I only remember seeing the advertising for the last few weeks, so maybe it was more of a safety net?
[/quote]

So what about leaving 'Earth & Beyond' off of it completely?
Just have the website address and some space/earth background. Nothing that links directly to the game. Just to the website. Thats gotta be pretty safe. People will see the address and say ' oh! I wonder what that is!'
Just a thought. I know it's pretty bland but safe I guess.

Of course there are other ways to reach the public also---for example, take adavantage of you're exixting ingame playerbase to perodically post on hulu, facebook, twitter,so on so forth our right to embellish our enjoyment here at the emulator and the game we keep comming back to. Video, screenshots and testamonials by individuals expressing they're right free speach and incidently concurrent exposure that is unprosecutible in any way shape or form. Ever.

[quote name='Cerberus738' timestamp='1311956641' post='43791']
So what about leaving 'Earth & Beyond' off of it completely?
Just have the website address and some space/earth background. Nothing that links directly to the game. Just to the website. Thats gotta be pretty safe. People will see the address and say ' oh! I wonder what that is!'
Just a thought. I know it's pretty bland but safe I guess.
[/quote]

Good idea. Gonna play around with that (SAFE) concept.
Thanks

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.