New Player Chat Channel

While playing last night I could not help but notice that an "argument" began in the New Player chat. This argument included calling another player an f'in a-hole. As things simmered down and conversations continued we then went to making slant eyed remarks about the Chinese, religious discussions, and how bad-assed one was vs another. Now personally, I don't care if people are making such commentary. Showing one's ignorance is everyone's personal right and more power to you. What does bother me is that in this long, drawn-out conversation, some players were trying to ask legitimate questions about the game in the channel they are supposed to be able to use.

I've noticed this occurring more and more often in New Player chat. Is it the intent of the GM team to allow the New Player chat to become the "Barrens Chat" of E&B? It has gotten harder and harder to find a GM online (yes, I know they log on from time to time but there used to be one on almost ALL the time)and I'm sorry but as a player it does nothing but spark an argument when you ask someone to change channels or watch their language.

Regardless of content NP is becoming more of an OOC channel and I agree it is stepping on the ability for new players to actually get help. It would be nice if people left the channel for its intended purpose. I have to turn of the channel more often that not just because of all the garbage going across it.

Its really to bad how that channel has changed. When i started playing 6 months ago it was such a helpful chat. Now i don't even have it on anymore. I used to like to help new players too. The maturity level of online games has gone down the toilet. Back when this game was live people would get banned for this kind of thing but now they just ignore it and collect the money. Now when you play you do so with most of the chat channels turned off.

[quote name='Lannister' timestamp='1310587430' post='43207']
Regardless of content NP is becoming more of an OOC channel and I agree it is stepping on the ability for new players to actually get help. It would be nice if people left the channel for its intended purpose. I have to turn of the channel more often that not just because of all the garbage going across it.
[/quote]

I know you are the former ADV but you must still have connections... and your build skills etc are too valuable to new players for you to bail on the NP channel. How about you pop over on TS and pull a GM or Dev in? Or how about when it gets out of hand we ALL say something. There is always the logs both on the server and on the clients to back up any complaints.

Please do NOT stop using the NP channel.

my 2 credits worth

This problem is not limited to NP chat. The Market channel is very similar. Some of the more well-known builders (they know who they are) seem to think of Market as their own. General chat is all but dead and all the rediculous stuff (religious, political, etc) belong on OOC. When asked to move, the offenders usually respond with some comeback about channel police. How childish and rude. While I am not offended by most of the colorful language being used, it does seem to be getting out of hand again.

I noticed that also. I thought new player chat is to help new players and answer questions. The channel has become full of trash talk.
Sometimes when I need help, I ask a question, but the channel moves so fast, I have to ask it again multiple times.

Isn't it pretty easy though, if you choose, pay no attention to the chat channels when the topics become either distasteful or tedious? The GMs are volunteers and there hasn't been and there's unlikely to ever be 24x7 coverage in the emulator so just gotta try to deal with it sensibly. You can set channels off temporarily, hide the chat window altogether (top right button), or simply immerse yourself in game play and stop paying attention. Or even log off.

[quote name='Lot' timestamp='1310650313' post='43240']
Isn't it pretty easy though, if you choose, pay no attention to the chat channels when the topics become either distasteful or tedious? The GMs are volunteers and there hasn't been and there's unlikely to ever be 24x7 coverage in the emulator so just gotta try to deal with it sensibly. You can set channels off temporarily, hide the chat window altogether (top right button), or simply immerse yourself in game play and stop paying attention. Or even log off.
[/quote]

So you are saying that ti is ok for a few players to use this channel in other ways than it was meant to and as they see fit?

Meaning that the players that actually need to use the channel in the way it is meant to, can not do so, or are having problems getting help because of the above along with your suggestion to have ppl turn the channel off?

Not so strange the channels looks like they do from time to time if players think like this.

Also as mentioned earlier in this thread, Market is from time to time very very off-topic.

[quote name='Ramses' timestamp='1310651065' post='43241']
So you are saying that ti is ok for a few players to use this channel in other ways than it was meant to and as they see fit?

Meaning that the players that actually need to use the channel in the way it is meant to, can not do so, or are having problems getting help because of the above along with your suggestion to have ppl turn the channel off?

Not so strange the channels looks like they do from time to time if players think like this.

Also as mentioned earlier in this thread, Market is from time to time very very off-topic.
[/quote]

I think there's nothing I can do about channel noise except pay it no attention.

If a new player is asking for help, I'll try to help.

If it really bothers you, you can apply to become a GM and hope you get accepted.

How about more channels, Id like these:

Political discussion channel. To debate whether Obama is truly an American (I believe he was born in Kenia).

An uncensored chat channel where anything goes, no rules. See this channel like you would a pub - it is not meant for children and helps relief stress for some people so they don't unload it elsewhere. And it can be a whole lot of fun for those that like this. And if you don't like this sort of thing, then don't turn on the channel.

And change the new players channel to player help channel to make it's purpose clearer.

If you want to become a GM spend some time in Teamspeak and talk to Blacklung. Chances are he'll be a bit more inclined once he knows more about you. He's responsible for things GMs do, and as such he's wary of just bringing in anyone because we've had plenty of GMs try to abuse their powers in the past (and gone to some excessive lengths to try to hide it, though they were caught anyway)

In regards to the cursing, if you see it in a channel outside of a guild or private chat, since it is already against the rules screenshot it and open a GM ticket with it. You can PM it to Blacklung, he'll review it when he's around. If the player broke the rules they'll get punished as appropriate.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1310678939' post='43266']
If you want to become a GM spend some time in Teamspeak and talk to Blacklung. Chances are he'll be a bit more inclined once he knows more about you. He's responsible for things GMs do, and as such he's wary of just bringing in anyone because we've had plenty of GMs try to abuse their powers in the past (and gone to some excessive lengths to try to hide it, though they were caught anyway)

In regards to the cursing, if you see it in a channel outside of a guild or private chat, since it is already against the rules screenshot it and open a GM ticket with it. You can PM it to Blacklung, he'll review it when he's around. If the player broke the rules they'll get punished as appropriate.
[/quote]

when this happens and no gm's are on, make a screenshot, let a gm know in teamspeak and they will let you upload it so it can be viewed, just dont wait a week to do it, also put a ticket in on it so you can be contacted.

I can agree with a few new channels. I know each of the original classes has it's own unique channel, but the new classes don't. We also have an OOC channel but no actual "In Character" channel.

We can add new channels, but I don't know if we can modify the menus, it would result in a similar situation to our staff channels where you have to type

/join <chanName/chanNum>

Personally I believe that when I click that "I Agree" button it means I'm agreeing to keep it within the rules. I don't care for some of the crude language or jamming channels with topics that belong in OOC either.

I don't think we need more channels; I do think we need to remember that we agreed to certain rules about language and topics of conversation when we log in. I'm all for punishing the offenders instead of creating an environment where people using the channel properly are forced to alter their game play because some don't feel the rules apply to them.

[quote name='Riz' timestamp='1310685129' post='43271']
I can agree with a few new channels. I know each of the original classes has it's own unique channel, but the new classes don't. We also have an OOC channel but no actual "In Character" channel.
[/quote]

I like the idea of a roleplay channel. That could be quite entertaining.

Kyp, as I stated in my original post most people's chat doesn't "offend" me (I've worked on boats so it's kinda hard to do that lol) and I truly don't expect someone to sit all day policing the chat channels. I guess I was just more curious as to why these changes are occurring within the chat channels and I will adjust my communications accordingly. As it stands I'll be happy to screenshot any truly offensive stuff and make you guys aware of it and leave it at that.

I have seen this as well. In the past I have said something but got the typical response or head butting.

It doesn't bother me much, unless a new player is trying to get help, or they get confused and start asking more questions and then they get ripped on for it.. That's where the line should be drawn.

Simply turning off the channel to not see it isn't the solution. That will just make it get bigger.
Perhaps the simple solution like mentioned a couple of time is the route to "Chat Police"
I can see the problem of users making screens and pm'ing them to the admins but this can get to be another issue in itself.

How about a few users, based around the clock when they "normally" online tend to the chat channels. For example, I'm usually around from 7-10 pm CST. There are users on earlier and later. You would only need a few people. Just as long as there "police power" doesn't go their heads. Think of it as moderators on a forum.

But the real question would be.. Is it needed now? Or is it better to cut it when it starts?

Just my humble opinion.

[quote name='Illydar' timestamp='1310733285' post='43286']
I like the idea of a roleplay channel. That could be quite entertaining.

Kyp, as I stated in my original post most people's chat doesn't "offend" me (I've worked on boats so it's kinda hard to do that lol) and I truly don't expect someone to sit all day policing the chat channels. I guess I was just more curious as to why these changes are occurring within the chat channels and I will adjust my communications accordingly. As it stands I'll be happy to screenshot any truly offensive stuff and make you guys aware of it and leave it at that.
[/quote]

This is kinda what the original class channels were meant for I believe, that and discussions pertaining specifically to the class which wouldn't really be outside the realm of Roleplay, if done decently.

No language personally offends me, I have worked on boats myself, and I am also a professional IT guy, I "fix" people's computers, this usually means things like "Pressing the power button." and so on. This leads to a tremendous amount of what other people might consider foul language. :(

That's really what I meant though, if anyone is truly offended by something that is said, do what Blacklung said and we'll take care of that person. A temporary ban from E&B ought to wake them up, and if they create new accounts and continue, well.. we can ban at a higher level and prevent any further accounts from being made.

In any case, let us know if needed. We obviously want to spend our time developing and not chasing after people that want to disobey the rules that they agree to each time they log in. Even if the "Don't Agree" doesn't get them into the game, you agree by logging in that you are bound by every rule listed in the CoC document I have at the top of every forum which applies to your user group. If you are caught in violation of those rules, you can be punished at staff discretion, though generally this will be GMs because developers are generally too busy to do the Customer Service style stuff, and still get new code (and content) put into the game for you to enjoy.

[quote name='Tyran' timestamp='1310678059' post='43263']

Political discussion channel. To debate whether Obama is truly an American (I believe he was born in Kenia).

[/quote]
I can't locate this Kenia on the map - can you help me find it? Thanks.

I dont ignore chat channels , i just stick the less 'mature' players that abuse chat on ignore (as a last resort) . Problem solved :(

ps. Jarod,Tyran made a spelling mistake.If you reply with "i know" then why did you even bother attempting to show him up ? :) Edited by Prrekoorb

There are plenty of channels that never get used. I have them all open and new player and market are the only ones I see people talking on, not that I'm on a whole heck of a lot. adding more channels won't do anything. You need to convince people to switch off of new player. Maybe they don't know the other channels exist?

Switching off "New Player" doesn't help the new players that need help. The problem was in live, and has moved here, and is next to impossible to fix. Prre had the best solution posted above, put the offenders on ignore, that way it is easier to see the posts of folks that need help.

[quote name='Jarod' timestamp='1310786998' post='43313']
I can't locate this Kenia on the map - can you help me find it? Thanks.
[/quote]

Kenya <- I think

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenya"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenya[/url]

and here....,
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_citizenship_conspiracy_theories"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_citizenship_conspiracy_theories[/url]