Bitter Bitter Irony - The closure of SWG

Maybe for me this is unique amongst us, maybe it isnt. But i am gonna share this anyway.
As I am sure some have heard, SWG (star wars galaxies) has entered its sunset effective like 2 days ago.

I never thought I would have to go through this all over again, and here is the bitter twist...

The game the publisher (LucasArts) wants us all to go to, and cancelled SWG for, is SWTOR, the new star wars MMO due out within the next 6-12 months.

How is that ironic?

TOR is developed by Bioware, who is now owned by EA!!!!!!!!!!!

When the last members of Omega Corps realized the sunset was happening, we all moved to star wars galaxies to start over. SOE/LA wouldnt do to us what EA had, this company has a good rep, blah blah... that was in 2003/early 2004 (OC split in half a couple months before the sunset was actually announced, so I know some of us were already there when I joined SWG in late 2003)...

I am the only one that I think stayed the whole time. The others have all moved on as far as I know...

But this is just bitter... the game I went to to replace EnB in my gaming life... is now sunsetting and sending me right back to EA.

How can this happen, you know? Edited by Ryle

Even worse, I have yet to see anything appealing about TOR. On-rails, tunnel-style space combat...completely incoherent story between characters...(Bounty Hunters are all competing for work from a Hutt, but can team up with each other to do it...wait, what?!)

From what I've heard so far, it's KOTOR with halfassed, clumsily cobbled multiplayer. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but that's what I've been reading in PC Gamer and the like. Not impressed, and not interested, personally.

SWG was a fantastic game that jus needed more creativity in it's content devs, and coders to fix the broken functions an bad XP curves. The NGE was a mistake, which they admitted, and the space portion was great, but shouldn't have been added so much later. In my opinion, they ruined SWG from the start. I had such high hopes for it. :)

That's a sad state of affairs, I quit SWG properly about the time I started working on this project though. I had made a jedi back during teh days when I could fight off 20 people and win. It was a lot of fun.. then they had teh NGE and I ran screaming for the hill.

In any case, swtor even though I've heard mixed reviews I'm still gonna play it for myself and see, because heck I've played a lot of bad games in my time, perhaps they'll surprise me.

FWIW, Ryle, Bioware's contract with EA is pretty unique, they are allowed more creative freedom than most studios, even though EA owns 'em.

Well its not entirely due to TOR coming out soon. But there was an article on Engadget that SOE was closing completely due to losing money or something along those lines. Some department of Sony was folding which would include the MMO side of things. Was posted about a week or so ago before I started vacation and then 2 days ago got the notice of SWG closing so wasn't a surprise much less the game wasn't all that great anyways...

Ah well another one bites the dust, we'll see how TOR fares for the masses.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I like many went to SWG during the later part of ENB. It was a great game that had tons of potential, and sadly was just wasted. Jedi should never have been player characters in that game.

SOE looks to be restructuring, but they are still going to be alive and well. They are currently working on both EQ Next, and Planetside Next. Both of which Smedley has commented that while delayed, they are still alive.

They will likely keep their other games in "maintenance mode" as they've had several for a while as long as they can.

In my heart SWG died a long time ago. I have not played a SOE MMO since the day the CU went into effect way back when. The night before I had gone out gathering Mandalorian armor pieces on Dathomir to complete a suit, went to bed, got up the next morning and patched the game. Suddenly, none of my gear could be worn, weapons not used, and skills all borked to hell and back. So, I toured our guild city one last time and gave away everything my character owned. Then Illydar walked into the desert and was never seen again. I know it was just a game but it was one of the hardest things I have ever done in an MMO. I still miss it.

Thank goodness we have the emulator!

[quote name='Illydar' timestamp='1309199702' post='42685']
In my heart SWG died a long time ago. I have not played a SOE MMO since the day the CU went into effect way back when. The night before I had gone out gathering Mandalorian armor pieces on Dathomir to complete a suit, went to bed, got up the next morning and patched the game. Suddenly, none of my gear could be worn, weapons not used, and skills all borked to hell and back. So, I toured our guild city one last time and gave away everything my character owned. Then Illydar walked into the desert and was never seen again. I know it was just a game but it was one of the hardest things I have ever done in an MMO. I still miss it.

Thank goodness we have the emulator!
[/quote]

Yeah, I quit for good after NGE. I agree that Jedi should NEVER have been in the game. Ever. Under no circumstances. The Holocron fiasco made me quit for a while....just in time for CU, which actually made the game better for me. However, I can see why many hated it. The NGE was just beyond silly stupid. I was just thinking of returning to SWG early last week and started doing research on what has changed and such. I was going to start again and try to have an open mind and pretend it was a new game. Interesting timing with Friday's announcement. Anyway, I downloaded the emulator and it's pretty fun! I recommend trying it, if you liked SWG before CU and NGE.

[quote name='Ryle' timestamp='1309083454' post='42624']
Maybe for me this is unique amongst us, maybe it isnt. But i am gonna share this anyway.
As I am sure some have heard, SWG (star wars galaxies) has entered its sunset effective like 2 days ago.

I never thought I would have to go through this all over again, and here is the bitter twist...

The game the publisher (LucasArts) wants us all to go to, and cancelled SWG for, is SWTOR, the new star wars MMO due out within the next 6-12 months.

How is that ironic?

TOR is developed by Bioware, who is now owned by EA!!!!!!!!!!!

When the last members of Omega Corps realized the sunset was happening, we all moved to star wars galaxies to start over. SOE/LA wouldnt do to us what EA had, this company has a good rep, blah blah... that was in 2003/early 2004 (OC split in half a couple months before the sunset was actually announced, so I know some of us were already there when I joined SWG in late 2003)...

I am the only one that I think stayed the whole time. The others have all moved on as far as I know...

But this is just bitter... the game I went to to replace EnB in my gaming life... is now sunsetting and sending me right back to EA.

How can this happen, you know?
[/quote]

The timing is interesting since SWTOR should be launching near that time as the rumors go.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='StarRanger' timestamp='1309289365' post='42725']
The timing is interesting since SWTOR should be launching near that time as the rumors go.
[/quote]

I happen to be beta testing SWTOR, and I have found it to be pretty addicting. Although its feel is more like an adventure game rather than a free roaming RPG. It is very story driven and has a cutscene/talktree for almost every quest/mission in the game.
  • Upvote 1