Amendments to the Net-7 Entertainment Code of Conduct.

Mortabis

I made this proposal as a way to govern the use of certain exploits (macro's and multi-boxing) originally the rules where listed here, in a post about a players inquiry about the use of macros.

• Multi-boxing is limited to 3 accounts per registered user.
  • Bot user's and un-attended macro user's be suspended/banned.
  • Attended macro use is allowed, with possible incorporation into the game itself.

I feel as though these 3 simple rules would make the game a bit more fair and balanced for everyone, including those that want to use macros, and those that want to multi-box. Thus I ask, respectively that these rules be implemented into the Net-7 Entertainment Code of Conduct found here. Eventually I might create a poll to vote on wether or not these rules should be implemented into the Net-7 Entertainment Code of Conduct; although it is ultimately up to the DEVS to decide, I would still like to see what the results would be, IF the community were to decide.

There should be NO MACROS in game period,whether attended or unattended.This just opens up way too many problems and security issues etc.

The only way that macros which shouldnt be allowed anyway if they were allowed would be to allow open PVP then so that a pitiful lazy macro'r thats hogging an ore field or particular mob that drops rare items could be blown up thus ending they're monopoly on the area.

I know this wont happen but if they were allowed to macro this seems the only fair trade off for other players who actually PLAY the game.Im sure Ill get flamed but my Nomex suit can take it.

That was indeed EA's policy as well up until near the end, when they allowed macros because they were going to shut the game down anyway and they wanted people to have a chance to reach endgame content faster. It's also the policy in most games I've seen, except WoW, which is special.

personally, I think this is a no-win agrument... like i said in another post... its like the abortion debate... there will always be two sides and never be a final solution...

maybe they can just make a 3rd server... so you could have one server where everyone is single account and no macros and one server where everyone is multi-acocunt and macro users... kinda like how some games have pvp and non-pvp servers...

however, if that is the case, then due to the limited number of users, I would have to guess that until we go live and have a larger user database we would have to allow a certain amount of multi-box macro'rs???

How do you propose this would be monitored/enforced?

Kyp said in this post and I quote, "we can limit it by your IP addresses and if it became an excessive problem, we probably would/will so keep that in mind if you are a multi-boxer and you abuse others through means of multi-boxing". I assume that those that are somehow able to bypass the system, would then be in violation of the Net-7 Entertainment Code of Conduct, and thus could be suspended and or banned.

There should be NO MACROS in game period,whether attended or unattended.This just opens up way too many problems and security issues etc.

The only way that macros which shouldnt be allowed anyway if they were allowed would be to allow open PVP then so that a pitiful lazy macro'r thats hogging an ore field or particular mob that drops rare items could be blown up thus ending they're monopoly on the area.

I know this wont happen but if they were allowed to macro this seems the only fair trade off for other players who actually PLAY the game.Im sure Ill get flamed but my Nomex suit can take it.

If attended macros are allowed, hopefully they will be incorperated into the game. Much like the macro system in WoW, this way the DEVS could govern how, and what they are used for. As for players that actually play the game, TB said that interactive players will always be at a advantage. Apparently dynamic content will make macro and multi-boxing less effective. None the less, I still believe some rules should be implemented regarding macro's and multi-boxing.

Avani, there really should be no debate about it. Its obvious that the use of macro's and excessive multi-boxing should be restricted. The question we need to ask is how should they be restricted, and ultimatly thats the purpose of this post.

personally, I think this is a no-win agrument... like i said in another post... its like the abortion debate... there will always be two sides and never be a final solution...

If any discussion degenerates into absolutist bull like that, we're all screwed. ;) People are far too attached to the all-or-nothing crap.

I personally think macros have certain uses--trade runs--and certain things where they shouldn't be tolerated--farming, especially with multiboxing. Please don't insult my intelligence by demanding I be pigeonholed into a "for macros" or "against macros" slot. (Same goes for the abortion crap, but let's keep that one off the forums; it's not worth it.)

Whatever the team decides to do with this, they should be extremely clear what is allowed, what is not, and what the consequences are. I don't really feel it's wise to have a "wait and see" approach either just because we're in a stress test. Otherwise, people might get in the habit of macros and get pantybunched when live rolls around and macros are banned (if that happens). Allowing it during the stress test, if that's desired, should be clarified to mean allowed ONLY during the stress test, and the live rules specified in advance.

Kyp said in this post and I quote, "we can limit it by your IP addresses and if it became an excessive problem, we probably would/will so keep that in mind if you are a multi-boxer and you abuse others through means of multi-boxing". I assume that those that are somehow able to bypass the system, would then be in violation of the Net-7 Entertainment Code of Conduct, and thus could be suspended and or banned.

I asked how *you* proposed this would be monitored but anyway . . . in the above proposal, how would you distinguish between (assuming only one IP address involved) a 5-way multiboxer vs. a family of 5 that enjoys playing EnB together? How about when somebody has friends in RL (I know, odds are slim) and they come over and play EnB together (sorry, guys, can't play with you anymore, I've been banned for hosting an EnB party). How would you propose catching folks with *multiple* IP addresses? I could go on, but that's just off the top of my head.

I asked how *you* proposed this would be monitored but anyway . . . in the above proposal, how would you distinguish between (assuming only one IP address involved) a 5-way multiboxer vs. a family of 5 that enjoys playing EnB together? How about when somebody has friends in RL (I know, odds are slim) and they come over and play EnB together (sorry, guys, can't play with you anymore, I've been banned for hosting an EnB party). How would you propose catching folks with *multiple* IP addresses? I could go on, but that's just off the top of my head.

GMs with brains. Folks wouldn't get banned based on the concurrent logins. They would be flagged by them. Then the GM would inquire. I don't think a GM would have a lot of trouble distinguishing the behaviors of a family of five versus a formation of five bots, especially if he talked to them. *shrugs*

I don't think that multiboxing should be banned. I think so long as it's not being used to abuse other players it should be fine. I don't think for example having your TT and your JE (or other class combo) sitting at F7 taking build orders should be a problem, nor should it be a problem for a person to use a mule char on a second account to effect transfers between alts on the same account.

GMs with brains. Folks wouldn't get banned based on the concurrent logins. They would be flagged by them. Then the GM would inquire. I don't think a GM would have a lot of trouble distinguishing the behaviors of a family of five versus a formation of five bots, especially if he talked to them. *shrugs*

Wait, it's only multiboxing bots you are concerned about? That would be covered simply by banning the bots, then, no? No need to complicate the GM's lives with having to respond to every time a multibox threshold is triggered.

I don't think that multiboxing should be banned. I think so long as it's not being used to abuse other players it should be fine. I don't think for example having your TT and your JE (or other class combo) sitting at F7 taking build orders should be a problem, nor should it be a problem for a person to use a mule char on a second account to effect transfers between alts on the same account.

I agree, I use dual-boxing methods for said purposes as well although; it becomes a problem when people are using 3 or more accounts to form their own partys. This I feel is taking advantage of what the DEVS have done by disrupting the normal flow of game play. The game was designed to be played with other players who interact with each other, join partys, hunt, go on tours and trade.

Jarod, I don't have a definite answer to your questions, partly because I lack knowledge in a few departments: programing, server access/restiction techniques and the general know how associated with complex networking systems. Thus, I can't really tell you how I would go about distinguishing a family of 5 between a 5 way multi-boxer, or a group of friends playing EnB at a lan party. I believe your question would be better answered by someone that is actually apart of the team developing the project, thats why I quoted kyp in the first place. I have complete and total confidence in the Net-7 team staff, and I am sure they would be able find away to differentiate between a 5 family of 5 between a 5 way multi-boxer or a EnB lan party. BUT if it happens to be that it is impossible to differentiate between the two, then perhaps we should begin looking for ways to make multi-boxing less rewarding than it is today.

I agree, I use dual-boxing methods for said purposes as well although; it becomes a problem when people are using 3 or more accounts to form their own partys. This I feel is taking advantage of what the DEVS have done by disrupting the normal flow of game play. The game was designed to be played with other players who interact with each other, join partys, hunt, go on tours and trade.

NOT SIGNED

I agree with some how limiting Macro miners / trade runners but see no problem with running 3 accounts. If ppl do want to run Macros then I just won't help or support them. I would join guilds but have had bad luck with them in live. I like playing when i can and if i am hunting with my 3 Jenquai's and need to go help with the grand kids or grab a beer I can just run to the gate and do what I need to do. I don't think I hurt anyone.

Sorry if I don't fit in with your way of doing things but you don't match mine either...LOL no offense that's just the way live is.

myself i don't really see the difference between a Monitored Macro & Multiboxing in both 1 person is still controlling their characters

for example in live for the mining macros they put in a cool thing. the asteroid would pop and a mob would kill them

multi-boxing should not be an issue like macros maybe. how is multi-boxing now versus live any different? all you had to do was pay for multiple accounts. it was also easier to multi-box in live because u were able to run more than one account on one comp where you cannot do that now. the ONLY issue with multi-boxing that i can see arise is someone camping a certain mob over a long period of time and not allowing anyone else to have a shot. and like the DEVs said the raids and such will require more skill than only one person can muster...which im happy about.

i personally like to be self sufficient and like putting in the time to gather all the common/rare/exotic recipes. i am able to do that at my own pace and leisure with multiple chars. and with that effort i am able to supply others who may need builds or comps either free or at cost thus making their gaming experience better.

this benefits the community and i know others in-game do this as well.

The issue most people have is they are unable to set aside their personal feelings and look at the situation from a gameplay/balance standpoint. Botting gives the "player" an unfair advantage by being able to level faster than a normal player could, by increasing the chance for better loot drops (not so much a factor right now but in the future it will be). It really messes with the game balance and most times it will cripple the economy with-in a game.

As for multi-boxing, the advantages aren't much different. You will level faster, have more credits (through loot drops, or crafting-mules, etc) and be ahead of a regular "player" of the game. The only major difference is multi-boxing doesn't hurt the economy as bad as botting does. So from a gameplay/balance standpoint both botting and multi-boxing should be removed since it provides a player with an unfair advantage over a regular player. But because (typically) multi-boxing is easy for everyone to do and doesn't cost much/anything it is deemed acceptable.

I'm not trying to say if you allow one you have to allow the other. What I am saying is most people claim bots destroy the game, when infact it isn't THAT different than multi-boxing. The best all around solution would be, and this is if the Emu was fully functional mind you, up the xp from trade/explore missions in the trouble areas slightly so that botting didn't feel 'required'. Limit multi-boxing to 2 accounts at most and allow (if its possible, not savvy enough to know the limitations here) running 2 clients on 1 computer. As it stands not only do the regular by-the-book players have to contend with botting, they also have to contend with multi-box players. Having more than 1 computer shouldn't instantly give you an advantage in a game.

I can see a very clear case for macros not being allowed, but why throw multi-boxing in the mix too?

Macros mean people can walk away and the game continues playing. It's the equivalent of having absolutely no life or responsibilities like a job or kids or bills and being plugged in to enb 24/7....only you're not at the computer.

Multi-boxing means one person has to pay attention to more than one game instance at a time. Manually. It's not perfect and is extremely limited by that specific person's ability to pay attention to more things going on at once. That's like saying (in very general terms) people with multiple monitors have an unfair advantage and are "exploiting" their computer because they have double the screen space as a "regular user".

Just drop the complaint about multi-boxing and focus on the macro issue, which I agree can lead to other more serious problems.

I can see a very clear case for macros not being allowed, but why throw multi-boxing in the mix too?

Macros mean people can walk away and the game continues playing. It's the equivalent of having absolutely no life or responsibilities like a job or kids or bills and being plugged in to enb 24/7....only you're not at the computer.

Multi-boxing means one person has to pay attention to more than one game instance at a time. Manually. It's not perfect and is extremely limited by that specific person's ability to pay attention to more things going on at once. That's like saying (in very general terms) people with multiple monitors have an unfair advantage and are "exploiting" their computer because they have double the screen space as a "regular user".

Just drop the complaint about multi-boxing and focus on the macro issue, which I agree can lead to other more serious problems.

Well, I feel as though having one account is a privlage in itself, having two accounts is more than a privlage and I am fine with that. We are lucky that we are able to play this game at all, and yet we take it for granted. I believe that being able to play 2 accounts is more than enough, those that disagree with me only want to take advantage of the situation, form their own partys, hunt, mine and exlpore by themselfs. And by doing so they defeat the original purpose of the game, which is to group, socialize and work together as a team with interactive players to complete goals. Multi-boxing 3 or more accounts is unnatural and with such a limited player base consisting of no more than 300 players at any given time, usually much less, makes those of us that struggle to play the game normally at a strong disadvantage. Why this is so hard for others to understand is beyond me. If there where more players things might be different, but I don't think the small player base we have is going to change anytime soon. SO, for the players that think multi-boxing 2 accounts is not enough, what is?

me personally i ONLY run 2 chars at a time. however i do switch those 2 char around. sometimes it a TT/PW and others its TT/JD or JD/JE i have a lot of fun doing this and it helps when i want to do a little more than what one char can do. i do agree that more than 2 char running at the same time is a bit over board BUT others play how they want to play and if they have fun doing it who are we to stop that? im playing devils advocate a little bit here.

A lot of the time you cannot find a combat grp. ateast thats my experience. this is simply one way to get a SMALL grp together for yourself. If there is more than one person in the area in hunting at i either share the mobs or ask them to join me. But like what has been said there is a very small player base here so grping options are limited. this is one way to combat that issue.

2 or 3 comps running seems reasonable to me, but I agree that using 3+ for group activites is bad. If you want to have 1 builder sitting somewhere and have a miner and an ore holder / combat toon out mining resources / items for him, that shouldn't be a problem.

I see almost no reason to have macros in the game at all. If you want to run multiple toons, do the work yourself. Want to play while you're away, that's just wrong. You can't work while you're not at work, so why should you be rewarded while you're not there. The *ONLY* reason I could see macros would be for a person with moderate to severe physical disabilities to be able to enjoy the game. Other than that, either learn how to type & just play the game and not try & juggle instant messaging, twitter, etc, etc while playing it. With the sole exception for the handicapped, macros are just ways of being lazy.

If you're severely uncoordinated or have movement issues, there is always teamspeak / ventrilo. Physically impared and have a speech impediment (I have a friend that fits this category)? My heart goes out to you, but other than allowing macros & possible 3rd party program interaction with a client for you, I'm not aware of any technology available that would allow you to be competitve, though E&B is not a competitve game by nature. If mere enjoyment of the universe & socialzation with friends is the goal, then that can be arranged. If we get to Shadowrun technology where you can jack into the computer, then at first [when not everyone has it], only handicapped folks should be allowed to jack in, and their natural advantage lowered to be about equal to a good player. Once jacking in becomes ubiquitous, then bots & multiple boxes are no longer an issue... they'd just slow ya down.

2 or 3 comps running seems reasonable to me, but I agree that using 3+ for group activites is bad. If you want to have 1 builder sitting somewhere and have a miner and an ore holder / combat toon out mining resources / items for him, that shouldn't be a problem.

I agree and am willing to except and add a extra account to the proposal, but I feel as though anymore than 3 accounts is excessive. I am sure the GM's can enforce page 8 rule 13 of the Net-7 Entertainment Code of Conduct by suspending/banning repeat offenders. When it comes to physically disabled people, Earth and Beyond is a great game. Mostly everything can be done with just the mouse with the exception of chating, TS and Ventrillo are excellent ways to combat this.

If anyone else has anymore comments or suggestions, I respectfully ask that you post them now. On Friday I am going to request that everyone that is a part of the Earth and Beyond community, to vote in a poll, regarding the 3 amendments that I have suggested be implemented into the Net-7 Entertainment Code of Conduct. Although, ultimatlly it is up to the DEVS to decide what is implemented into the game, I still want to see what the community thinks in whole about the amendments. Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you all soon :D

EDIT: I updated the amendments to allow 3 accounts per registered user.

Hi guys. New player of online game here. My brother showed me this game. Can anyone explain in plain English this whole thing with the macro's and muli-this and that and the other thing. Huh, Bots also, are they like automated programs people run to have the game play by itself? I have read most of the thread, but i am finding myself scratching my head not understanding a darn thing. Thanks from a non-computer savvy regular guy.

Hi guys. New player of online game here. My brother showed me this game. Can anyone explain in plain English this whole thing with the macro's and muli-this and that and the other thing. Huh, Bots also, are they like automated programs people run to have the game play by itself? I have read most of the thread, but i am finding myself scratching my head not understanding a darn thing. Thanks from a non-computer savvy regular guy.

First of all I would like to welcome you to the Earth and Beyond emulator community. Second, you don't have to know anything about macros, bots or multi-boxing to vote yes in the poll. Although, I feel as though everyone should be informed. SO here is a simple explanation that should be easy for everyone to understand. Macros are scripts usally created by a third party program that allow players to play the game with or without them being present. Bots are also third party programs that are more like an advanced version of a macro or a script that generally can do everything a player can and more. Multi-boxing is a term used to define players that play more than one account at the same time.

Generally in most MMORPG communitys, the act of using bots and macros is strictlly prohibited. Whereas multi-boxing is allowed and sometimes encouraged, in pay to play games this is fine but due to our limited player base and the fact that the game is free, some of us think it should be restricted. AND most all of us agree that the use of bots and macros should be restricted if not banned alltogether. If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me using the forums. I also suggest that you check out the post that started this post located here.