Too many Processes running on my computer on startup

Tonight I tried to do a group combat and my main computer was acting up, kept freezing and just overall lagg, while my HP mini laptop ran everything fine with minimal lag. I thought it was an update that was running in backround (did not know at the time untill the little popup said "complete") but I tried later and same thing. Then I CTRL+ALT+DELETE and I see I have 48 processes running, some I can tell what the are and shut down like Ipod others I have no idea.
Ive googled and seen there are a few programs I can run to shutdown these unwanted programs but I was curious if anyone here had one they use and liked. Only thing I ask is that it be a free program. I wanna get the most out of my Machine before I do any hardware updating.

Thanks.
-WT

Personally I think you might have a virus or some other malicious program running and bogging down your computer. If I was you I would run a few programs on your machine, one obviously would be a virus scanner (Can be free, Personally use Avira AntiVir), then a cleaner program such as CC cleaner (Can get free), now I would probably scan your system with Ad-aware (Free) or some other program.

Also would be good to know your spec's, My computer is probably the lowest end PoS and have hardly any problems with the game.

Ran CCleaner last night, Also ran AVG, Adware and another program called Advanced System Care tonight and no major issues at all. But I am downloading and going to scan with Avira as suggested.

System Specs.
[IMG]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/jwkindschi/System-1-1.jpg[/IMG]
Graphics-
I know the Drivers are outdated but last time I updated it cause a ton of problems and had to rollback, that was like 2 years ago so I may attempt to update again.
[IMG]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/jwkindschi/Graphics-1.jpg[/IMG]

Also all the graphic settings in-game are turned down under 50% and I run in windowed mode to 960x600 32bit Bilinear

From what I see you should not be having any problems, you have more Base memory and graphics memory than my comp has, I only have 500meg ram and 64 meg graphics to work with.

BTW you will prob like Avira better than AVG, I have been using this program for years and I say it is better than any other bought virus scanner out there to date.

I dont think its your graphics drivers, I personally have not updated mine especially since I cant find em :P

I suggest going back to a higher res than the one your using, and rerun your E&B setup. You might also want to check for the latest update to your network card.

Is your computer using a hardline or wireless?

As far as the processes that should be around 35, not sure what else you could be running, also on my main comp I run the game with virus scanner in standby mode as it tends to cause latency, but my second computer has it on when I play and has no latency.
This may also be your problem, try playing with the virus program on standby and see what happens.

Hardline Cable- Speedtest.net With all 3 computers on and the game runnning on all 3.
[IMG]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/jwkindschi/1335819671.png[/IMG]
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1335819671.png

Not playing % hovers around 10% and will shoot up to 80% every 60-90 seconds for no reason at all. "System Idle Process" is the listed program that is using the resource to jump the %.
Playing- Sits around 80% and spikes to 100% every 60-90seconds I assume its the "System"
These are with the same setup as last night. Today im gonna adjust the EnB Setting and try again.

And I run with as many backround programs off as possible, especially AVG because its a system hog.