Scan Blinding Environmental Effect

I was thinking up ways for Xipe Totec to be more dangerous and I thought, what if something in the sector caused your scan range to decrease while you were in it's area, similar to a radiation effect? That way when the oni and bio rippers come to get you it will be harder to see them coming and you'll have less time to react. We could add the same effect to other places like gas fields, planets and other dangerous sectors.

[quote name='Kenu' timestamp='1306567970' post='41291']
I was thinking up ways for Xipe Totec to be more dangerous and I thought, what if something in the sector caused your scan range to decrease while you were in it's area, similar to a radiation effect? That way when the oni and bio rippers come to get you it will be harder to see them coming and you'll have less time to react.[/quote]

Can't agree with putting it in XT, it never had a passive environmental affect, it was an active psionic attack against you, which would randomly hack your shield/reactor/engine, pulling you out of warp, stopping reactor regen(and causing drain during normal warp), or draining your shield(not sure of amount/speed). Would last for about a minute then re-hack you immediately, unless you managed to resist it you were constantly without one of the three.

We could add the same effect to other places like gas fields, planets
[/quote]
Good Idea, 100% support. Gas fields already do this to some extent, since they dont disappear like other objects when you fly into them, they continue to block your vision.

and other dangerous sectors.[/quote]
After mob ranges and signatures are balanced, or in sectors designed with it in mind to begin with, but cant support it anywhere with the current mob setups.

I like the idea of the Scan Blinding Environmental Effect and would love to see it implemented in new sectors and/or new way off the grid mining sites. Imagine a sector with nasty roaming cl66s that could see you way before you see them, so of course, your group would need an Explorer class with them to "scout" or they would get decimated. :D

Not just scan blind, but other environmental effects would be nice to make things more interesting.

In due time ofcourse...

Would not want the emulator to go far past the 2013 readiness date. :D

• 3 months later...
In those sectors that were opened up a while before sunset, the ones where we had to run around to get a key to unlock the new gate there was a field with mobs that had an ultra low sig. They were like rocks and when mining you had to be careful one didn't just suddenly pop up infront of you. That's how I imagine this scan blind thing to be, I died more often than not there, it wasn't really much fun tbh..

[quote name='Yendor' timestamp='1307118507' post='41619']
Imagine a sector with nasty roaming cl66s that could see you way before you see them, so of course, your group would need an Explorer class with them to "scout" or they would get decimated. :)
[/quote]

If it's being explained as an environmental effect, it should affect EVERYTHING, including mobs. The only exception being if there's a specific type of mob that is know for having particularly good scan technology as it's special ability.

[quote name='Yuritau' timestamp='1315488603' post='45895']
If it's being explained as an environmental effect, it should affect EVERYTHING, including mobs. The only exception being if there's a specific type of mob that is know for having particularly good scan technology as it's special ability.
[/quote]
Mobs native to those regions may have adapted, like the sundivers in VT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Gazers ftw :D These Ardus mobs had huge scan range and could warp. Scan blind was very useful in defeating them....especially the boss.

I like the idea but I would recommend placing it in less used sectors/areas with corresponding resources/rewards. IE pop in a roid and hulk field in Niff Cloud were this effect occurs and have the roids/hulks re-spawn faster or contain more/better items. The biggest problem with adding new stuff is always balancing. How to add something cool, that people will enjoy or that will challenge them and also reward them for surmounting the 'problem.'