Admin rights

I've followed the installation instructions and have set client.exe and e&b.exe to run as admin but when I launch net 7 and try to hit update, I get the error that it cannot write to target directory due to lack of admin rights. I'm running Windows7 and this is a fresh install for this machine. Thanks in advance for your help.

I had to set net-7 launcher and the game both to admin as well as had them both in compatibility mode win x- sp 2. Also you may want to shut off that User Account Control its under Users in the control panel i have mine set to never notify seems to help alot. Anyway anymore issue keep posting everyone will help you get your issue resolved :)

FYI if you disable the *useless* UAC (User Account Control) in Vista and Win7 that removes the requirements to Run as Admin permanently across your OS (and requires a reboot). But you will still need to set for compatibility mode on the following exe for smooth operation. All may not be required to be done but for good measure apply to any executable that applies to game. Below are the default install locations (you will have to search or change the paths to accommodate your custom install of course if you have one. Dont forget to run E&BConfig set your desired resolution, and run the test to ensure save after you have configured your Run As Admin and Compatibility Mode on the files below.

c:\net7\bin\launchnet7.exe
c:\net7\bin\net7proxy.exe
c:\net7\bin\launcher.exe

for 32bit OS
c:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\release\client.exe
c:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\ebconfig\e&bconfig.exe

for 64bit OS
for 32bit OS
c:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\release\client.exe
c:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\ebconfig\e&bconfig.exe

When set right on these you shouldn't experience any issues with the game running (not to be confused with bugs/ctds inside the game :) ) I attached some screenshots of the areas from Windows 7 x64 OS to give you idea.

I disagree with Rojomuerte, you shouldn't have to turn down your security. UAC prevents scripts from altering system files in any way shape or form without explicit administrator access being requested from the kernel which in turn notifies you. While it IS annoying, it is NOT useless. That's all I want to say.

Guest Bloodstone
[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1306686949' post='41348']
I disagree with Rojomuerte, you shouldn't have to turn down your security. UAC prevents scripts from altering system files in any way shape or form without explicit administrator access being requested from the kernel which in turn notifies you. While it IS annoying, it is NOT useless. That's all I want to say.
[/quote]

Sorry but it is useless and false sense of security! Scripts can still be run with UAC on and without notifying you when written properly. Many business run IT Depts. even shut that stupid thing off... Because its more a hinderince to the end user and easily defeated versus proper lockdowns of systems to provide real protection.

If you say so, we don't do that at the worldwide bank I work for. ;) We just supress it so that you don't see them pop-up. You can do that without disabling it.

Check out the local policy (or group policy, i'm sure its available there as well if you're running a server) under "Local Policies>Security Options" and go check out all the tweaks you can do to User Account Control and still leave it in place.

You're going to have to point me to proof that its so easily defeated, I have seen it done, but if properly implemented and you haven't hamstrung it, its pretty defensive of core files. Though this is going to turn into a opinion war, so I don't really mind if you differ. I've stated mine, you're not likely to change it with a diatribe like that, where's the hard evidence? :)

Wow didnt need to turn this into a fight... Ya useless may of been bad choice, it works for some but even in the DoD we don't use it. Sorry I can't post you any proof but we have builds called AGM/AFGM of the OS that are far more locked down and controlled than UAC provides.

I've worked with USAA IT, and a couple of other large corporations that all do not use it. Most MCSE and MCITP instructors despise it too. Sure its more a preference but fact of the matter is it was flawed in Vista and made a little better in Win7 and main target usage was for home users security. Doesn't mean its 100% safe doesn't mean it doesn't serve a purpose. Just majority folks who prefer to be actual admin's over their systems will dump that in my dealings.

I also wasn't trying to say you had to disable it, I guess I wrote as my preferred methods as an option. No need for either yall to get panties in bunch on whos got the bigger... ya lets just help peeps get in the game ;)

Guest Bloodstone
[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1306724291' post='41369']
If you say so, we don't do that at the worldwide bank I work for. ;) We just supress it so that you don't see them pop-up. You can do that without disabling it.

Check out the local policy (or group policy, i'm sure its available there as well if you're running a server) under "Local Policies>Security Options" and go check out all the tweaks you can do to User Account Control and still leave it in place.

You're going to have to point me to proof that its so easily defeated, I have seen it done, but if properly implemented and you haven't hamstrung it, its pretty defensive of core files. Though this is going to turn into a opinion war, so I don't really mind if you differ. I've stated mine, you're not likely to change it with a diatribe like that, where's the hard evidence? :)
[/quote]

Sorry I dont have to prove anything to you, how your worldy bank chooses to run its IT staff doesn't mean its right or wrong. The same could be said to you prove to me that it does what it says and why MS backpedals from Vista to Win7 with UAC... Im well aware of GPO methods and direct registry edits. If you think its safe, I suggest you go work IT for Sony ask them how they were hacked too. Does it have anything to do with UAC no... just saying nothings safe.

Anyways no point in arguing sorry for jumping in this and railroading the original persons quest for help...

I'm not saying anyone had to prove anything to me, but if you want to change someone's opinions, your above diatribe wasn't how to do it.

"It sucks because I say it does" isn't a valid argument for anything, that's all. I don't care if you want to prove it, but don't tell everyone else its bad and expect them to believe unless you're willing to show WHY it sucks. This is the same reason arguing for a change in the game rarely works for some, because they don't want to analyze the problem.

I know UAC is not a huge shield, but it IS another shield, which is the important point there. Its annoying as hell at times, but its not wholly bad, that's all. It certainly has a use, even if its not the greatest and that's where I disagreed with Rojo.

Besides the initial person has been helped I would think based on their last response and no responses since, though I guess we'll have to wait and see if they post again.

• 2 weeks later...
[font="Georgia"][/font]My son came home from a visit with his dad and asked to install a new game on the computer. After he told me about the game I agreed and we installed it. Now we are trying to use it and it keeps giving me an admin rights error message that I cant get around. This post seems to be about the same problem but none of the suggested solutions are within my realm of knowledge. Can someone please restate the solution in something other than computer jargon to my stupid little brain can comprehend the answers.

Any of you Windows 7 gurus out there able to help? She is trying to get my son in game, and I am not up on Windows 7 at all.

1. Hit the "start" button in lower left corner (has windows icon on it)
2. From the right hand menu presented choose "control panel"
3. From the "system and security" choose the subheading "review your computers status"
4. From the left menu choose "change U.ser A.ccount C.ontrol settings"

You should now be presented with a screen with a vertical slide bar with 4 settings, each setting has a brief discription beside it. You will need to decide what level of warning settings you are comfortable with. What others have suggested is set it to totally off (I have chosen this setting).

The U.A.C. acts like a crosswalk sign, it gives you time to consider if you can make the full width of the road, one of the middle setting is like the blinking red hand telling you to "get a move on the lights changing", the top setting is like the crosswalks with the audio beep for blind folks..you can't see when to go or not so it totally holds your hand with warnings. The final off setting is like "I don't need a walking man or a blinking/solid hand to tell me when to go, since I can see the traffic like is red, or green and know when to go."

GL and I hope this helps you a little with what to do and what the settings do.

Matt

First level of admin settings:
1.Once you have installed the game, right click the shortcut that was created.
2.At the bottom is a menu choice of "properties" choose it.
3.Under the submenu choose "compatability"
4.There should be a check box under "priviledge level" called "run this program as administrator", check it.
5.Under the heading on that same pane should be a "compatability level", check that box, pull down the draw down slot and choose what level of compatability you want. (I suggest using windows 7 to start and if have further troubles backing it down to vista pack 2, or even XP pack 2-3)
6.Before leaving this pane be sure to hit the "apply" button in lower right.

Second level of admin settings:
1.Right click that same shortcut that was created.
2.Right click "open file location".
3.You should now have a window with a bunch of things, some temp files, some extensions, some applications etc, most will have net7 or net7 proxy in the name, if you see that you're in the right place.
4.Look for files with .exe at the end of the name, right click them and do what you did earlier, set the priviledge levels to administrator level.
5.Now do the same for files ending in "application" don't bother with application extensions..just application. Same right click priviledge admin etc as others.
6.Now finally check the "net7 proxy" file and just double check if the admin setting took from the shortcut...if not then do it at this time.

Now every time you run the shortcut choose the "run as administrator" choice (it should have a windows shield next to it and be in bold type).

Hopefully this will end your admin error messages.

If you didn't have this game on before and its a fresh install I would, when launching it the first time, use the "luancher" key in the extreme upper left and select the "check for updates" option. (sometimes on a fresh install a .dll or something gets dropped, this will check to see if build is complete.)

Well I don't know if it was the advice Mattsacre gave, or if she just got it going, but the issue keeping my son from playing has been resolved.

[quote name='Riz' timestamp='1308783708' post='42419']
Well I don't know if it was the advice Mattsacre gave, or if she just got it going, but the issue keeping my son from playing has been resolved.
[/quote]

cool, no matter what got him in its a good thing :) now I hope you have 3 comps so all 3 of you can play at same time and enjoy the pleasure that is EnB together!

See you in game!

Actually I have two PCs at my home (my wives and mine), and at his house he has his mothers. So yes, he and I can play together, and he is learning the game quickly.