Encouraging Grouping for Leveling

Thanks Kyp for explaining that. I do look forward to what you guys have in mind with faction. I do like that you made more terminals free for all, but missions that reward faction for helping various NPCs, with a reward apropraite to the difficulty, would be a nice thing.

Static mob levels for jobs makes sense to me too, rather than adjusting them according to player level. I do think that if a person takes a job, they should get the XP the job rewards for completing the mission (the posted XP) and only the XP for the actual killing of the mob should adjust according to the player's CL relative to the mob's CL. 60 sounds a little high for a Job mob. Say the top jobs, L150 have mobs stop around 53 or 54.

Also should RD jobs ever send you to kill an RD factioned mob like the minotaur fighter?

Just thought of one thing, I haven't thought it through in any way and I am jsut throwing it out here to get ripped a part :)

What if the diffrent jobs would favour a certain class?

Combat= higher exp for warriors
Trade = higher exp for traders
Explore = higher exp for explorers

That way each class could gain better exp in the field they are best at and this could possibly lead to more grouping outside jobs if you don't want to run jobs you are not good at?

If we were to go that way with it, it'd probably be more like a bonus to the job type, if you have that type of class in your group and the bonus would go to all. That would ensure "job parties" existed.

[quote name='Ramses' timestamp='1307179574' post='41663']
Just thought of one thing, I haven't thought it through in any way and I am jsut throwing it out here to get ripped a part :)

What if the diffrent jobs would favour a certain class?

Combat= higher exp for warriors
Trade = higher exp for traders
Explore = higher exp for explorers

That way each class could gain better exp in the field they are best at and this could possibly lead to more grouping outside jobs if you don't want to run jobs you are not good at?
[/quote]

The main reason to do jobs, is to level up what your toon is naturally weak at. In Live I used spillover to get my CL up on my JE. Was more efficent than killing things. While a JE can, with proper tactics & equipment, kill level apropriate mobs, it's slow going. Makes more sense to do Explore or Trade jobs and fill your bars with spillover, unless you're in a combat group.

For Warriors, the job terminal is probably the most efficent way to raise Explore, particularily if they're not fans of tours. Having your EL bar fall well behind your CL bar will result in your reactor not being able to keep up with your weapons. Poorer shields too.

All true, but that will happen regardless what you do if you only go for what you are strong at. I was thinking that it might get players to group up more to do stuff in the game rather than only leveling from jobs as many do.

[quote name='Ramses' timestamp='1307208403' post='41679']
All true, but that will happen regardless what you do if you only go for what you are strong at. I was thinking that it might get players to group up more to do stuff in the game rather than only leveling from jobs as many do.
[/quote]

I agree with the general proposition that grouping should be rewarding.

I don't agree that having my CL fall way behind on my JE is as detrimantal as having my EL fall way behind on a Warrior. If you're a JE and your level spread is C25 E50 T30, you're not going to have problems in one on one fights with CL25 mobs. Even if you focus on mining, you still get Trade XP for refining ores, trading them to other players, or vendoring them. Explorers do have one advantage on Trade XP, both refining and selling ores gives Trade XP.

It might be possible to triple-dip, but I haven't tried it in a while so I could be wrong about that. Triple dipping would be trade unrefined ores to a player, have player trade back, refine, then trade to another player again.

I don't imagine a warrior with a spread of C50 E25 T30 having fighting apropriate level mobs as being as easy as mining in Jupiter near the Asteroid navs.

Traders doing trade runs, can do it regardless of their reactor or engine level.

Triple dip is still doable and gives nice exp.

Hehe you are right, a warrior with that spread will ahev a headache, but omg the headache he/she must have had to reach that without leeching exp in group. During that heavy headache the player must have realised that a more even spread of levels might be a smart idea.

I like the idea about a class in group giving exp to whole group jobbing and taht would make more sence than my original idea.

I wonder how many do trade jobs, the few times I have tried them it feels it takes much longer time to gain exp, the exp/hour feels much lower. I might be wrong on that as I haven't checked and calculated it. Maybe this could do with some tweaking also.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1307081918' post='41585']
I was told to change it *ages* ago so that it was 50% spillover, split equally between the other two bars, so 25% into each. So we want to change it so that 80% is split between the other two bars? I'll get that in before the sync restart.
[/quote]

Woah, wait a minute, I remember a good discussion about this earlier (ok much earlier), and how reducing it from 80 - 50 was good. Let me see if I can dig up that discussion.

Also, 30 mins before xp drop? Personally (and I may be harsh) if someone is sitting around doing nothing for 30 mins, I'm going to move the group or boot them. If someone says they need to go for x amount of time, maybe we'll drag them around a while, but more likely that they'll be dropped in a safe spot while we move on. It really depends on how the conversation goes. If you just disappear for a long time, don't be surprised if you're floating alone in space :D

One thing I remember well is the squad/guild I was in was trying to get me leveled pretty quick one night. I remember the leader telling me to hang out at this specific Nav buoy and just sit there.
So I did. I don't remember what they were killing, but I was getting massive exp. They told me not to move because if I got to far from them, I wouldn't get any exp.

Was this an exploit in Live or normal playing?

Not a exploit, they didn't subvert or gain advantage by misuse of game. It was legite, but EA didn't like how inbalancing it was going so they retooled to stop it. It was still possible to PL just not so agregious a xp gain after retool.

BTW all you "group needs a boost"ers: you don't understand just how group has it all already, all it takes is a group of 5 to get 2x xp gain in same time frame. In fact easier, since they run little risk of excess damage etc. through buffing, thats not even adding the group bonuses like crit/resists etc.

The only things that inhibit the group is: personality, grumps that don't get along, to fast mob clearing..having to wait for respawns they slay everything so fast, or over confidence they take on huge mobs that take to long to kill thus slowing xp gain and or incapacitate members.