Scan boost won't give me stated 25% increase

Hello,

I noticed that when I activate my sextans 1 SR1 or Datacom, I don't get the 25% increase. My base scan range listed is 7.3. 25% should be 1825, which should give me a new scan range of 9.1. What it Actually gives me is a scan range of 8.5. I tested a Datacom on my TT and it worked just fine, so it's not an item thing I think.

Also, could you check that my scan range boost from 4-5 went through correctly? I had a 9.7 scan range with items equipped & activated, and after my upped skill level it went to 9.9, but the description says it should increase by 2k, not 200. Character name is Dakynos.

my usual caveat applies, it's been a long time since live... but i believe this to be correct. the buff only should affect your base scan range, not your modiffied/buffed scan range. so if you removed any item that boosted your scan range and then used your sextan or baka, i think you'd see a 25% gain. so when you are doing your math take (base scan range + 25% or whatever actived scan buff) + (highest equiped scan range buff) = (your listed scan range).

i believe what the formula is/should be: (base class aloted scan + scan skill level amount) + (any activated scan buff percentage) then lastly + (any equiped item scan buff) = (total listed scan range).

what you were expecting would look more like: (base class scan + scan skill bonus + equiped scan skill buff) + (25% your activated scan skill buff) = (total listed scan range). Edited by Moche

I hadn't thought of the absolute base scan range. I removed any equipment and made sure all buffs had expired before looking. I figured my base scan range was blue (showing no mods) of 7.3, when it seems like it is really 5k. 25% of 5k is 1250+7.3=8.5 (with rounding room).

I was not expecting any equipped scan boost items (which I removed first anyway) to increase the 25% bonus of the activated buff, but I could see how the argument could be made that it should.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1306365939' post='41159']
so do we need to change anything?

And how did JE's get those huge 20k+ scan ranges in live?
[/quote]

Depends, by 20+K scan range are you meaning being able to see a mob over 20K away, or that being the scan range displayed on his ship stats screen?

Some scan buffs a JE could use are percentage buffs, like the Sextans line of activated devices. Others were specific distance buffs, like the little over 5K from a 200% quality Ghost's Edge Energy Laser (would be nice to have that scan buff on a Plasma beam). A JW could also buff a JE on top of that with a Telescopium where the L9 one, according to the database adds 15K for 10 seconds.

In addition to whatever buffs that the JE has, the mob's signature was added to the JE's total scan range to determine how far away the JE could see it.

I think that depends if the addition the skill gives should be taken into account. As it is currently, the 25% boost only considers the base race range of 5k. If you add the addition of scan, it will give you 25% of what is displayed on your ship with no buffs. (ie 25% of 7.3k in the above case) So 1250 vs 1825 is a 575 difference.

I don't see a reason why the 25% shouldn't include the scan skill - I would say that it is a skill of the user increasing the equipment, while the buff is increasing the equipment efficiency itself. However, I don't know how it was in live.

[quote name='Dakynos' timestamp='1306375038' post='41163']
I think that depends if the addition the skill gives should be taken into account. As it is currently, the 25% boost only considers the base race range of 5k. If you add the addition of scan, it will give you 25% of what is displayed on your ship with no buffs. (ie 25% of 7.3k in the above case) So 1250 vs 1825 is a 575 difference.

I don't see a reason why the 25% shouldn't include the scan skill - I would say that it is a skill of the user increasing the equipment, while the buff is increasing the equipment efficiency itself. However, I don't know how it was in live.
[/quote]

For the JW (scan 7) and JT (Scan 5) it's only 25% of 3.5. (like all other non-explorers)

I think it's because the buffs are not to the Scan skill itself. AFAIK there was no item in game with the buff of improved scan skill. It's like the difference between a Shield Recharge buff and a Recharge Shields Skill buff.