enviromental shield

I see now radiation completely circumvents environmental shield. The whole purpose of that type of shielding was to protect against radiation. In addition, radiation never never never leeched shields - it leeched reactor. I once griped about not being able to renew environmental shield in warp like we could in live, but that gripe was no longer valid because radiation no longer impacted our ships so I backed off. So is this just a new facet of the game that will never be like LIVE or what? Edited by mounas

Radiation, depending on the severity leeched both in Live. E-shield; however, at L3 should block all the effects of radiation. The Path Of Fire, and path to the Remote Minefield in VT were a good example of this in Live. The radiation close to Aragoth Station and the early navs on both paths leeched your shields, as you went further down, it eventually did the same to your reactor. So Field Of Danger and Remote Minefield, essentially required a JE with L3 or higher E-shield to mine those locations.

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1305217740' post='40596']
Radiation, depending on the severity leeched both in Live. E-shield; however, at L3 should block all the effects of radiation.
[/quote]

Actually it did not leech shield - reactor went down so bad your shield failed because of no power. So you would die from the effects of radiation. Makes sense.

[quote name='mounas' timestamp='1305221135' post='40598']
Actually it did not leech shield - reactor went down so bad your shield failed because of no power. So you would die from the effects of radiation. Makes sense.
[/quote]

Lower level Shields in VT were leeched like crazy. You could get near the station in VT and your shields would be completely gone. At some point, when u started get higher level shields, the leech would stop. I have Screen Shots that show full shields in VT. I don't remember if getting near the stars would even drain higher level shields, and I think there's A LOT that all of us don't remember. But I think the point here was that Environmental Shield isn't working as intended.

[quote name='JenqDude' timestamp='1305223128' post='40602']
Lower level Shields in VT were leeched like crazy. You could get near the station in VT and your shields would be completely gone. At some point, when u started get higher level shields, the leech would stop. I have Screen Shots that show full shields in VT. I don't remember if getting near the stars would even drain higher level shields, and I think there's A LOT that all of us don't remember. But I think the point here was that Environmental Shield isn't working as intended.
[/quote]

I see no shield degradation in these screenshots. And I know what I am talking about. Radiation bled reactors dry and then shields could not be supported with no reactor.

[quote name='mounas' timestamp='1305221135' post='40598']
[/quote]

In live the shield drain was gradual, so if you had a big shield, you might have docked at Aragoth Station before you really noticed it. In Emulator when they did have drain for lower level shields, it would just reset from full to zero while you were in the effect range of the radiation and back to full when you were out of range. In live normal recharge rates applied when you left the radiation, gravitational shear, or magnetic danger area. E-shield L1 and L2 would reduce the speed that your shield or reactor drained by 50%, L3 & L4 would eliminate the drain. L5 would cause a very small amount of feedback damage to any attacking you with non-energy weapons, higher levels would also turn some of that damage into reactor energy.

As far as I know in Live the only reactor drain occured in VT when you got further down the path of fire, or the navs leading to remote minefield.

Death on the path of fire was often courtesy of the sun-divers attacking you while your shield was down, and if you reactor was drained you couldn't warp away. (Would also interrupt warp if your reactor ran out)

That cutoff point was level 4 equipment, at tech 5 your recharge rate on your shields generally overpowered weak radiation. These things are actively being worked on, so there's no point in getting worked up about them yet.

I am glad to hear that ES shield is getting some love. IMHO, what ES really needs (once it is functioning like it did on live) is to last longer once it is cast. That or to make it buff everyone in the group at once like Rally does. Anywho, thanks for the great work, I love this game! :)