Funding the Emulator Project

To quote The Right Stuff: "You boys know what makes this bird go up? FUNDING makes this bird go up."

Would telling the players that there is NOT going to be a player wipe increase donations? Can the project move from ST4 to alpha to beta to live and keep the characters intact?

Don't think you will get a positive answer on that from the DEVs, it is a part of the testing.

However a cold fact, at least according to the front page of the website, is that the funding is over 30% back from the monthly goal...

I think this question is much more interesting:

How long will the STAFF continue their effort if the response to the needed donations monthly are this low?

I am thinking along the lines "Why should they continue working with this during their sparetime if players aren't showing their appretiation by donating a small sum of money each month" or "Why take this headache if only a few cares"

and no, I am sorry, I have no suggestion how to get players to pay for this wonderful and awsome game and community (if they can't do it by there own free will...)

I understand why a player wipe could be needed for testing purposes, but IMHO the continuity of the Earth & Beyond emulator community is also very important. Continuity of characters may lead to certain players having an advantage over other players, but so far all of the rich players in the game are also the most helpful!

I have a slightly different view - I think a wipe may be exactly what we need to reinvigorate. All these people (myself included) who have several maxed toons, mapped about everything there is, and done all the content are board and not playing, and not funding.

New content would help of course, but perhaps in parallel to a player wipe to add an extra drive to rebuild.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Lannister' timestamp='1303930674' post='39878']
I have a slightly different view - I think a wipe may be exactly what we need to reinvigorate. All these people (myself included) who have several maxed toons, mapped about everything there is, and done all the content are board and not playing, and not funding.

New content would help of course, but perhaps in parallel to a player wipe to add an extra drive to rebuild.
[/quote]

I think we'll end up losing some players in a wipe. TBH, I think that the possiblity of wipes may scare away some of the players who are less hardcore. I understand the devs doing wipes as necessary for the game at this stage of development, and will continue to play one way or the other. Hopefully we'll get notice for them so we can be ready to name our chars at the start after the next wipe. If it is possible to do something that amounts to an almost-wipe, where the players do have to start over, but keep their char's names, that would be preferable.

What's really going to be interesting, is skill adjustments that are likely to come early in or immediately before the next round of development. I think Kyp mentioned something about investigating the skills. I'm not sure if that should have a wipe beforehand, aferwards or at all. That alone will be pretty interesting. I know Torrie is looking forward to Afterburn & Null Factor.

I will say this: We won't wipe until its technically necessary. E.G. its going to be hard for us to balance low-end content if we can't get enough people playing it and providing feedback. That being said if people are willing to abandon their high level toons and hit low levels with each race/class combo, a wipe may not be necessary. However, going to live (when we're done cept for monthly updates) will probably mean a wipe regardless to start everyone out on equal terms, but then if possible we can do a founders federation or something similar for those people that stuck with us through the thick and thin. (assuming we can figure out how to make the decals work with custom ones, we may do a special Net-7 decal in memoriam of the efforts.)

How's that?

Kyp, if you do a founders federation, what would be the criteria to qualify?

Another problem w/t/r a wipe is building. There are quite a few things that don't drop that should. The Chim 8, has been one of them. If that's been fixed, then disregard that. Hulkfest got plenty of prints into the builder base that may not otherwise be there, or be less common. The Sharim Prototype Shield is another example.

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1303945011' post='39893']
Kyp, if you do a founders federation, what would be the criteria to qualify?

Another problem w/t/r a wipe is building. There are quite a few things that don't drop that should. The Chim 8, has been one of them. If that's been fixed, then disregard that. Hulkfest got plenty of prints into the builder base that may not otherwise be there, or be less common. The Sharim Prototype Shield is another example.
[/quote]

But see, herein lies the rub. We don't know what those things are and can't identify them simply because there are some things that are supposed to not drop/not sell but yet be stripped from other items. So without doing a wipe, or at least backing up toons and promising to restore later, we have no way to find out except by playing a toon ourselves, which really puts a dent in development time since we don't exactly have a small army of developers. :)

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1303935694' post='39886']
I will say this: We won't wipe until its technically necessary. E.G. its going to be hard for us to balance low-end content if we can't get enough people playing it and providing feedback. That being said if people are willing to abandon their high level toons and hit low levels with each race/class combo, a wipe may not be necessary. However, going to live (when we're done cept for monthly updates) will probably mean a wipe regardless to start everyone out on equal terms, but then if possible we can do a founders federation or something similar for those people that stuck with us through the thick and thin. (assuming we can figure out how to make the decals work with custom ones, we may do a special Net-7 decal in memoriam of the efforts.)

How's that?
[/quote]

I don't like wipes but I know you have to sometimes. a
And I hope the FFs are based on IP address since I have several accounts but try to use AZ in all their names but I was watching Charlie Jade so i used a couple of thire names. GREAT show by the way~!~!~! :P
I have my Jenquai's are up to lvl 140+ and have started my TW and TT. So I hope this goes for a long time. Get them up to 140+ and I will start the Progen's... :)

I give when I have extra cash but maybe Payal can do monthlies...???

One of the biggest issues with low end content, is that it's often more efficent to level up with jobs, esp for JE, and trade runs for the Negotiate toons. There will need to be plenty of quests at low end, and throughout the game, grinding gets tedious fairly quickly. Many of those low end quests should reward Explore XP as part of their rewards, since that's the hardest bar to fill beyond the 20s in EL, particularily if you're not interested in doing tours.

Once TB, David, Rolo, and I get a good portion of what we plan to be working, working for the next phase, I'll be able to seriously bend some brainwaves at finishing off story stuff and getting it active for Terrans. That'll be three of them. I have no authority over content in the other areas at present, they belong to the respective team leads:

Kenu - Jenq.
Freak - Progen
Webby - Independent (any area not directly belonging to one of humanity's factions)

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1303935694' post='39886']

How's that?
[/quote]

I think this is a phenomenal idea. I get the need for a wipe for going live and I think the Founders Federation would be neat! As for the testing of low levels for each race/class, is there an area on the forums where I can find out what is needed? Even though I am a JE main (yes, I play a Taxi as my main, get over it!) I will gladly level up the other classes for testing and development purposes.

I'm not entirely sure that there is a lack of funding by 30% this month. I just donated because it seemed to be really needed, but that didn't show any chance in progress.
There is in fact no donations since april 19th which I highly doubt is true. There seems to be a bug with donations being registered.

Regarding wipes: I rarely play so a wipe is not really much fun for me. I understand the need to perform them, and would expect one when the game is ready for a wider audience.

[quote name='Mikotay' timestamp='1304010711' post='39931']
I'm not entirely sure that there is a lack of funding by 30% this month. I just donated because it seemed to be really needed, but that didn't show any chance in progress.
There is in fact no donations since april 19th which I highly doubt is true. There seems to be a bug with donations being registered.

Regarding wipes: I rarely play so a wipe is not really much fun for me. I understand the need to perform them, and would expect one when the game is ready for a wider audience.
[/quote]
I also donated recently, and it hasn't shown up yet either, so I'd have to agree. We're probably not as far behind as it seems...

[quote name='Mikotay' timestamp='1304010711' post='39931']

[/quote]
I notice you didn't get put in the donators member group either. Did you do the donation through the donation section here?

Issue *should* now be all fixed up.

A couple of the transactions seem to have failed due to a service we use for this being disabled by Paypal. It's re-enabled adn reprocessed the ones that allowed us to. We had 4 failures, we'll try to re-process those.

We suspect that the server/dns/ip change caused them to disable it for security.

Doh! Almost there...

Come on peeps lets keep a good thing goin!

Think about it, I see on high times say 240 players online, granted that number is skewed due to multiboxing so lets divide by 3 (to be overgenerous) comes out to 80 people now add in some fluff for those who may not be running 3 toons just just 2 and bring that number up to 100 users.

Let's say this was the arcade days. Would you pay 25 cents (1 quarter) a day to play? How about 50 cents (2 quarters) because we all know we can play all day at an arcade with just 25 cents, eventually we die or need to re-up heh. So if everyone donated just 50 cents a day for 30 days that would be just $15.00USD. Sounds like a lot when you look at that end number but hey just save that change you get from everyday spending it adds up come end of month!

100 users donating 50cents a day ($15.00 a month) puts us well past our monthly amounts giving enough to have a emergency fund incase less days/rainy days etc. And that isn't saying everyone has to coffer up, just painting a picture in simple form, because some are gonna be over generous with donating too so that sways the scale up/down too.

BOTTOM LINE: Lets see them generous donations folks! Its up to us to keep this alive!