Guild Vault question

Once we know which of our guidies are online, I have another suggestion for future guild development: the guild vault, preferably with multiple compartments. Since not every guildie can be online at the same time, it would be nice to have a repository where someone could put ore [raw or refined], mob loot, or manufactured goods in and later someone in need could withdraw them. This would benefit the microscopic to small guilds most, although it would allow those with only a tiny amount of time per week to make meaningful contributions to their guildies. They could have permissions & limits per compartment as well. Permissions could be set on the basis of your rank in the guild or tailored per person, though the rank basis would probably be best, at least for a starting point. Perhaps a per-member option added on later, if enough interest were generated. A log of activity per compartment and any monitary contributions, viewable by all guildies, would help to both verify activity as well as to highlight any abuse.

In my opinion, this would be a very useful project to be tackled over time, though probably not heavily worked on until we've cleared Alpha testing and have gone into Beta testing. In the long haul, what do y'all think about this concept?

This has been asked for since the dawning of time. I am not sure why the original devs at Westwood never thought of this. Though I am sure if it was possible it would have been done by now. But I am not a dev, I don't know how to program myself out of a wet paper bag so I may be totally wrong on the ease of this accomplishment.

And it would.

That's a shame. The conflagrations created by various guilds using shared chars/passwords that ended up stealing from each other in Live generated endlessly entertaining discussions, threads, and drama - I've always eagerly anticipated the introduction of Guild Vaults to allow that to be stepped up . . . "Another Notch. Bam!" ;)

User logs in on site.

Check user is logged off on server.

Search character database fields.

Select items to place in vault.

Delete items from character database fields.

Add items to vault database fields.

Assuming my understanding of database operations is even remotely correct--I have some familiarity with it but 'm sure you know things about it that I don't--the only technical reason I can think of that this would not work would be database permissions. I can think of a number of reasons why it would be impractical (too much interface work for too little gain) but nothing insurmountable.

That said, it would be a bloody stupid idea since it would be begging for abuse. ;)

With permissions for different compartments, abuse can be not only managed, but quickly identified and stopped (for that toon) in the future. Ultimately, anything can be re-looted, re-made, re-mined, etc. With limits (both in credits and in items per compartment that are based on the permissions set, this becomes an abuse *RESISTANT* system. No system is abuse-PROOF. The logs will show any abusers, and new members should be given little, if any, access, and tested out over time. Someone who's a stellar member for 2 to 3 weeks or more can be given a fuzz more access and see what they do with it. It would take a very patient person to seriously hurt a guild that uses descretion & slow advancement for their members.

However, a wide-open guild vault with no restrictions *IS* a bad idea.

<points back up to the very first post in the forum>

• 7 months later...

Making any kind of web page that allows users to interact with an SQL database really isn't a good idea. Sure there are things you can do to mitigate this sort of thing but then you are playing a leapfrog game with the bad guys. And that's another large can of worms by itself.

Edited by Fujisanka

• 9 months later...
Have the DEVs made any progress on this? I have several alts I use as vaults, essentially taking up space on the server that could be utilized better with a guild vault, Or essentially open a larger vault for each player. It would not take that much to add 50 to 100 slots in the individual players vault, however it would require that player to be on to access guild assets.

Greetings,

I've given some thought on that subject. Without changing the client it could be done using 2 systems. The main system would be a php driven web application that would be the guild management interface and also give you a list of what is in the guild bank. The other part would have to be a server side application that acts as a cleint on the server. Transfering goods to the guild vault would be straight forward. You step up the the guild client and then initiate a player to player transfer. you put in what you want to put into the guild vault and accept the transfer. The NPC should be able to use the players information to look up which guild he belongs too and then transfer the goods to the guild inbox.

to initiate a retrieval you would need to go to the news terminal interface with the guild and then initiate what to transfer (max 6 items) to which character. you then walk up to the NPC you start a trade and it then looks up your guild checks for any items to transfer and then then places those items into the transfer window.

The php web application would need to be secure but it can be done.

GuardStar