What happened to my game?

The influx of new player seems to be bringing the wow crowd in. I have never seen the chat so hostile before. I don't want to see MY GAME turned into crap from newbie 12 to 17 year old players looking for a free game to play. Let the banning of these people began please.
  • Upvote 1

I too, was shocked this last night, Friday, buy the tone of Market chat. It was like a WoW troll had escaped and had come to roost. Derogatory, accusatory, player harrassment, open challenges to come get flamed...

I was tempted to post about the ToS that we all agree to during login, but instead thought better and decided to just be calm and see how it panned out and how it was handled. It was a weird night in that nearly none of the major builders were on, basically our 'elders', plus it being a basically full moon outside.

But know this, the next time it happens, I'm willing to be 'That Guy' who screencaps the ToS violations and makes the post about it. It's not that I want to be the EnB police, not at all, and I know I'm new to the Emu project, but I played from very near release to sunset, it being amoung the saddest days of my life, that had a deep effect on me.
I died with my friends that day, and to be here again is like a blessing to me.

We have some great folks here, and this level of behavior is not something I want to see again.

Thank you EnB staff!, and thanks all for your time in this matter.

Sincerely,
-Kii

Did you get his name? I received a ticket of an offensive name but no where to be found musta came caused trouble and left if same one. Please feel free to post offensive issues like this via Tickets if ya would and I will see to it!

Hey Rojo.. here are my thoughts ATM- let me know if you want to proceed differently, and huge thanks for posting regarding this. Filth has a way of leaving a really bad taste, so Im glad your here.

yes I have his name, and the chat log to back it up, but really, I think in the end, for this incident, this is a deal where we, as players, need to step up and quickly point to the first 2 Clauses of the ToS when we need to when someone has maybe drunk too much, or simply isn't aware of the deal here, or are indeed asshats.

The offense could be worse in the larger view, but the point itself has to stand, and the person being Harassed (genuinely) for no reason, is a guildy and a super guy, who helps anyone that asks. Top Shelf.
I cant go further without speaking to him.
So IMO, Sanity first. - Respect. We are all here together. let us Wonder at it, and Enjoy.

I have a suspicion some of theses things will be like a small tight knit business, a bad hire will know hes toast and just leave, and all is well again.

Any further should likely be taken offline, at your discretion, Rojo.

Cheers!
-Kii Edited by Kii

[quote name='Kii' timestamp='1303009646' post='39259']
I too, was shocked this last night, Friday, buy the tone of Market chat. It was like a WoW troll had escaped and had come to roost. Derogatory, accusatory, player harrassment, open challenges to come get flamed...

I was tempted to post about the ToS that we all agree to during login, but instead thought better and decided to just be calm and see how it panned out and how it was handled. It was a weird night in that nearly none of the major builders were on, basically our 'elders', plus it being a basically full moon outside.

But know this, the next time it happens, I'm willing to be 'That Guy' who screencaps the ToS violations and makes the post about it. It's not that I want to be the EnB police, not at all, and I know I'm new to the Emu project, but I played from very near release to sunset, it being amoung the saddest days of my life, that had a deep effect on me.
I died with my friends that day, and to be here again is like a blessing to me.

We have some great folks here, and this level of behavior is not something I want to see again.

Thank you EnB staff!, and thanks all for your time in this matter.

Sincerely,
-Kii
[/quote]

People that complain about things but take no action - when action is available - are just whining. Seriously, it was bad enough to post here but not bad enough to actually DO anything?

Jarod has a point, If someone was harassing someone [b]then it should be reported[/b], not given a second chance.

I personally have not been online much to see any of the apparent crap that has been going down of late but that person you were complaining about [b]agreed to the same EULA that everyone else here has[/b], does not matter if that EULA is 1 year or 10 years old it still applies. True this person, and probably at least 50% of the people here, have not even took the time to read that EULA that they click accept to but that does not mean since this is a Emulator project that it does not apply to them.

I dont take offensive language or harassment in my Guild nor should I have to put up with it in other chat channels either, If you do not report the problem then you are allowing this person to do it again to someone else, simple as that.

Guys, I didnt say I was giving the person a second chance, nor did I say I wouldnt do anything, I said I waited to see how it panned out, being more a response than a reaction. Rojo already said that he received a ticket with the name and the issue should be handled via the ticket system.
Being newer I wasnt sure where the real boundries lay, but now I know :)

I wasn't there, but in my time over the last year or two, I've seen very few actual bad actions occur in open chat. When it happens, the community that was on and those that get it related to them has a way of handling it away from message board tough guys. In addition, I have seen bans and perma-bans handed out for the serious offenders. Unless a DEV or a GM sees it, though, in real time, it may take a day or two for the appropriate scree shots to make their way through the system.

There is no point to being specific here or calling out someone here, let those that have the authority deal with it. Until then deal with it in game and let the community show their feelings towards offenders.

would a '/silence' command help at all? This would mean we don't need to add chat filters or anything like that (any remember trying to talk about 'hot water' in the live game?), but if enough people vote to /silence someone there could be a 10 minute or so (more depending on how many people support the vote) chat silencing of that player.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1303109586' post='39301']
would a '/silence' command help at all? This would mean we don't need to add chat filters or anything like that (any remember trying to talk about 'hot water' in the live game?), but if enough people vote to /silence someone there could be a 10 minute or so (more depending on how many people support the vote) chat silencing of that player.
[/quote]

GMs having the ability to inflict silence would be darned useful, but otherwise the player should individually be able to ignore. I see potential problems with the community vote silence stuff. Course, that's possibly just an excessive fear but I expect it could lead to more problems than it corrects if not implemented very very carefully.
  • Upvote 1

Yea I dont see the point... Players have ignore feature. GMs kick/ban if seen or properly reported. I know I've issued a 24hr cooling period at least once but honestly its never really came to more than that in my time thus far.

Ah, curse them WoW players! Who else could use such foul language? :)

The /ignore option is by far the best option when you do not like someones foul language. I just wish there was such a command in real life aswell. ;)

//Basileus Edited by Basileus

It's been quite a while since I've seen a problem on chat (granted, though, I don't monitor new player channel as much as I once did). Usually "bad language" seems to happen in one of two ways:
* accidental - either via a mistell or bad habit. The player typically was not intended to swear but "it just happened". These are usually followed by one or more players posting something like "language, please" and the offender responds with an apology.

* intentional - people that just want to be jerks. Sometimes it's in response to a "language please" where they then get all huffy and make claims that "this is nothing your kids aren't already seeing . . . " blah blah blah and sometimes they are just intentionally trolling.

In the first case I don't see the need for GM action. In the second case, IMO, the GM's should hit the player with the ban hammer but good.

As noted earlier, please do report incidents. If no staff member is on to witness it, and nobody reports it, nothing will be done.

As far as the /ignore command, although useful, it does not get to the root of the problem. Ideally at some point we'll have a fair influx of new players, and new players won't necessarily know about that command and will be forced to see whatever is going on. Maybe they'll turn off the channel, maybe they'll still be too new.

For voting for silence, that reminds me of a first person shooter I used to play where you could vote to kick someone for cheating/language etc. It required a minimum number of votes (or percent) to be booted, and often times not enough people voted. I'm interested in the idea but wary also.

[quote name='Dakynos' timestamp='1303164866' post='39342']
As noted earlier, please do report incidents. If no staff member is on to witness it, and nobody reports it, nothing will be done.

As far as the /ignore command, although useful, it does not get to the root of the problem. Ideally at some point we'll have a fair influx of new players, and new players won't necessarily know about that command and will be forced to see whatever is going on. Maybe they'll turn off the channel, maybe they'll still be too new.

For voting for silence, that reminds me of a first person shooter I used to play where you could vote to kick someone for cheating/language etc. It required a minimum number of votes (or percent) to be booted, and often times not enough people voted. I'm interested in the idea but wary also.
[/quote]

I am in agreement with dakynos a vote would be great to ban someone that way you can be sure that the community as a whole os completly fed up with the actions of the one ..however .. I know there is only a handful of people that are "working" on this project IE Devs, Mods,GMs ect.ect .. but this is "all of ours" game and it is our responsibility to correct those who are "out of line" not with a good hearty scolding but with a hey please watch the language .. we as a a whole need to make sure that our game stays clean and presentable .. what i mean is that if one player decides to start trolling and "WE" all don't feed in and ignore him and continue to conduct "business as usual" he will just go away.. alot of these type of people feed on our reactions if there isn't one usually they will become uninterested and leave..
please feel free to correct me if i am wrong.. :-)

i was a beta tester in live and i love this game with my whole heart played all the way to sunset and back again and i don't really remember these type of events happening a whole lot until it got close to the end then alot of the riffraff started to show up

Think its about time Detention Centre Onorom had 'time out' cells:
- mini starbase
- no exit possible (no hangar bay :) )
- no use of any chat channels
- 1 NPC to talk to who returns the reason why you are there
- character remains there until time limit expires
- new characters made on same account also start there until time limit expires
- GMs have instant tools to "send to detention"

=============

Good job i wasn't on the server at the time of the complaint.
I don't have GM tools so my intervention could be ... final ...
  • Upvote 4

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1303116914' post='39307']
GMs having the ability to inflict silence would be darned useful, but otherwise the player should individually be able to ignore. I see potential problems with the community vote silence stuff. Course, that's possibly just an excessive fear but I expect it could lead to more problems than it corrects if not implemented very very carefully.
[/quote]

I'd have to agree with Kyp on this, giving players a /silence command and having others vote on it could cause several problems (ie: Player A mistells x word when (s)he dies in a raid, Player B snaps a /silence before they even have a chance to apologize and has multiple accounts to add votes leaving Player A unable to even ask guild or group for jumpstart, OR Player A feels slighted by Player B in some way or another and has multiple accounts and nothing better to do than keep Player B silenced for a long time). I think ignore and/or screenshots should continue to be the standard operating procedure. Give all players a little extra power and some will find ways of abusing it.

[quote name='Byakhee' timestamp='1303466976' post='39613']
- mini starbase
- no exit possible (no hangar bay ;) )
[/quote]

Byakhee, I love this idea. It would actually give the detention center a reason to exist. Maybe you could have their ships drifting in space outside of the detention center. :D

- mini starbase

=============

[/quote]

I also like this idea. For Jenquai toons they could be sent to Androzari Reflection Center in Menorb sector when it's opened. Do the Terrans have a prison in an unopened sector?

- mini starbase

=============

[/quote]

OH, I like this!
Put them all in the Gas chamber, muhahaha
we can walk by the windows and look at them and shun them.

Phor....

[quote name='Kumquat' timestamp='1304116961' post='39993']
Not offended personaly because I am a pretty thick skinned Jew but some others may not like that gas chamber thing so much. Just sayin.
[/quote]
I Would NEVER say anything in any way to hurt or offend anyone. It was not my intention please forgive me.
My community rating reflects this.
If you have been to Detention Centre Onorom you would see the Gas chamber to which I speak.
One does exist in game but it is not operational nor should it ever be.

Phorlaug..

[quote name='Kumquat' timestamp='1304116961' post='39993']
Not offended personaly because I am a pretty thick skinned Jew but some others may not like that gas chamber thing so much. Just sayin.
[/quote]

Not that I really want to get into this, but anyone who would take offense to the words "gas chamber" has a serious problem, jew or otherwise, given that its a legal punishment in some parts of the world, just as an example. Also, any court they tried to take it to would laugh them right back out. *shrug*