AoE mining skill

This idea came to me yesterday...

Mining in Glenn, I had a sudden brainstorm. Why not, instead of slowly mining each cloud or rock one by one thats near your ship, instead just click once and all rocks/clouds within 2.5k radius of your ship would be mined?

Now, depending on the number of clouds or rocks in proximity would determine the amount of reactor consumed, so its possibly a 135 skill..

Would such a skill be possible?

[quote name='Zethro' timestamp='1302966618' post='39232']
This idea came to me yesterday...

Mining in Glenn, I had a sudden brainstorm. Why not, instead of slowly mining each cloud or rock one by one thats near your ship, instead just click once and all rocks/clouds within 2.5k radius of your ship would be mined?

Now, depending on the number of clouds or rocks in proximity would determine the amount of reactor consumed, so its possibly a 135 skill..

Would such a skill be possible?

[/quote]

AFAIK offhand, the client will only render the one "Prospect" beam, so I don't think so, though perhaps TB or David could be more certain.

To make it balanced it would have to take an insane amount of reactor energy and a lot of time to finish an AoE prospecting cycle. That wouldn't be much fun in my opinion.
I'm not sure how they could solve the tractoring in of the prospected material either..

[quote name='QX419-M' timestamp='1303175149' post='39357']
If the fields are set up correctly, they shouldn't be as close together as 2.5k very often... >_>
[/quote]

Too much fuss has been made in recent months about making sure fields are spread out enough. Just define an area and tell it to spawn X rocks in that field. If it randomly chooses the 1 in 10^9 chance of them all spawning within 3k of each other, then who gives a crap? That's one lucky miner, then things go back to normal.

Eh, personally, I don't see what the fuss is. It's not difficult to manage field density, or spread at all.

Things have changed a bit, I'm sure, and one of the other devs might be able to correct me some, but here is how it worked when I was actively using the sector editor:

You don't define an area, you define a center point. Area is defined by a shape and radius set from the center point, and density is handled by a minimum and maximum asteroid count variable.

In general, fields that appear too dense or too sparse are usually a product of the dev who put them in simply not balancing the numbers very well, or perhaps even not having had the time or memory to go back and check them. There was also one or two times when particular people took it upon themselves to make elaborate fields that were horribly dense, without ever actually having logged in to look at the fields in-game. (That stopped quite a while ago, thankfully)

NOpe it still works much the same, and the rocks will be getting love before long in my areas. I did change ABA several months ago to a new roid model and haven't yet heard any complaints, so I assume I must've made rare ore unexpectedly available :D