Could we make items non-vendorable?

I have had a few experiences of selling valuable loot and or gear to vendors and I thought it would be cool if you could make an item non-sellable. I noticed that weapons when installed have a little checkbox to turn on and off autofire. Would there be a way to add that checkbox to other items to make them unsellable? Check the box to make it non-sale, uncheck to sell.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

that's a good idea.

The best way I can think of would be to have a slash command that toggles the status of the first item in your hold.

So if you have something important you don't want to accidentally lose, you place it in the top left ('#1') slot in your cargo, pass the command, say /lockitem, and the item then becomes non-tradable & non-destroyable. Place the item at the #1 slot again, do another /lockitem and you can then get rid of it/trade it.

Would that do what you're after? I know I'd use this for temporarily locking things like unidentified AA's, space suits and so on, the number of times I've accidentally sold space suits ...

I dunno... this seems more a PEBKAC problem, but eh, just goes with the territory of paying attention if ya ask me. Granted I too have sold something in a fast frenzy, then kicked myself afterwards but hey my fault eh hehe.
  • Upvote 4

[quote name='Redd' timestamp='1302832889' post='39148']
I dunno... this seems more a PEBKAC problem, but eh, just goes with the territory of paying attention if ya ask me. Granted I too have sold something in a fast frenzy, then kicked myself afterwards but hey my fault eh hehe.
[/quote]

Yup, i agree, if you want to keep it, vault it before you hit up the vendor.
  • Upvote 3

[quote name='Slayerman' timestamp='1302863760' post='39166']
Yup, i agree, if you want to keep it, vault it before you hit up the vendor.
[/quote]
and when you closing vault window, make sure you dont accidently hit 'sort'

/lock would be nice to have(tm) (with added option to specify slot number/ranges for those who can count)
also things nice to have(tm) would be '/sort disable', '/sort <lock category>', '/build 200' etc. one can dream, right ?

[quote name='Redd' timestamp='1302832889' post='39148']
[/quote]

+1

Not a big fan of spending effort to protect people against themselves. Like the Dr. says, if it hurts to do that . . . don't do that!
  • Upvote 4

[quote name='Jarod' timestamp='1302881086' post='39180']
+1

Not a big fan of spending effort to protect people against themselves. Like the Dr. says, if it hurts to do that . . . don't do that!
[/quote]

Agreed!

Pretty much what i meant :)
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Slayerman' timestamp='1303118794' post='39309']
Agreed!

Pretty much what i meant :)
[/quote]
Then again, anyone can make a misstake... ;)

If the solution is easy to code then I can't think of any reason to not do it. The attitude that people are stupid and have themselves to blame is kind of silly in my opinion.

//Leandra Edited by Basileus

How about adding a confirmation of action box with a don't ask me again option. It would have to come up with the don't ask again option deselected each time you open a trade window with vendors. Just thinking about not being a PITA while doing trade runs.

[quote name='Basileus' timestamp='1303128963' post='39312']
Then again, anyone can make a misstake... :)

If the solution is easy to code then I can't think of any reason to not do it. The attitude that people are stupid and have themselves to blame is kind of silly in my opinion.

//Leandra
[/quote]
I didn't see where anyone said anyone else was stupid. In fact I haven't seen any name calling at all - unless there was a post that was later edited. Just a reasonable discussion between reasonable people about where best to direct limited technical resources. We should be able to be free to disagree without passing judgment on each other, no?

eh, for the most part I see it the same way. If you sold it, you clicked the button. However, i don't see the harm in the buyback button, that enables you to get back your item, rather sheepishly in the long run, but you learn from that mistake and don't have to camp umpteen thousand hours (or whatever) to get something again.

I will see if its possible to do something of the sort, I don't know whether or not we know the mysticism that operates those tabs and how they appear or if they can be edited.

[quote name='Slayerman' timestamp='1303194814' post='39371']
Wouldn't it class as a client mod if it's not a slash command?
[/quote]

A slash command would be a hacked in way of doing it, if possible I'd personally prefer a new tab at the vendor. I think that's the best option if its possible mainly because most people that play every other mmo (*cough*wowclone*cough*) is familiar with the buyback option being at a vendor.

Buyback + Quality damage on the item (this would teach you a lesson).

The exploit here could be

"Oh no I accidentally sold the Brimstone Ballista that (insert name here) built me. Hang on I'll buy it back. Ooo look, it now can be analyzed by anyone".

Hope this would be prevented some way.

[quote name='Byakhee' timestamp='1303253867' post='39459']
Buyback + Quality damage on the item (this would teach you a lesson).

The exploit here could be

"Oh no I accidentally sold the Brimstone Ballista that (insert name here) built me. Hang on I'll buy it back. Ooo look, it now can be analyzed by anyone".

Hope this would be prevented some way.
[/quote]
Sounds like the idea is more to buy back the exact item sold (meaning keep quality and builder). Otherwise, it's "OOPS! I just sold my non-manu item that I camped 100 hours for, and paid more than I sold it for just to get it back at 90%! :("

But one thing that might help either if this is not possible or until it's finished, try moving your valuables as far right in your hold as possible, that way they aren't getting instantly crowded by loot. Then if you're an ammo-using class, put your ammo (less valuable 99% of the time) just to the left of your valuables for a nice padding. If you mindlessly click through all your ammo and continue into the goodies, your mind is likely too far from the game. :P

If I was coding the buy-back I'd only store items, and it'd be the complete item. No ores, bio loots or anything like that. That way if you sell anything important mission related you should be able to buy it back.

The only thing is that you'll be able to see stuff others have sold the vendors, but in a way I think that's quite neat. I'm sure some of the guilds could put it to good use too.

I have been planning on coding something like this up for a different reason too.

• 2 weeks later...